Doing things to challenge yourself

Just now, susanlea said:

Flat bench press is a terrible exercise for those with shoulder issues.

I didn't have shoulder issues while doing.   Couldn't lift my arms pass my shoulders the next day :cheesy:  Had to lean over to shampoo my head, and my buddies got a big chuckle out of that. 

Basstards

42 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, to challenge yourself, not to put yourself in harms way, like he did. What he did wasn't too smart. I lived in New Jersey, and worked in and visited NYC many times, as my parents were from Brooklyn, and every time I was there, I made sure I stayed in well lit areas and was never alone. This was back in the 70's to 80's. Now I would be even more careful.

Where did he say that and differentiate between the subjects? Answer, Nowhere!

5 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

For some maybe. For others maybe not. Comes down to body mechanics. 

Yes. If you have a Type II or especially a Type III acromion, you are more prone to shoulder and rotator cuff damage, especially if one has bad form.

George ,if you want to test yourself ,on the way back home call into Port Moresby ,

and try walking around there at night ,that will challenge you ,  I was there over 

50 years ago and travelled around PNG without problem , but I understand they

have big problems now with the "Rascals"....  who dares wins ......

regards Worgeordie

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Where did he say that and differentiate between the subjects? Answer, Nowhere!

The first part of his post was him talking about what he did himself. The second I already posted but will post again seeing you aren't understanding what he said....................

"Are you a stagnant old man or achieving challenges?

Place yourself into challenges as you get older instead of doing nothing !

Please I would love to hear from you guys who climb mountains ,do very long bike rides ,cycle races long distance, etc".............................Now, read this again and see that he doesn't say anything about anyone else taking any chances that are dangerous, like he did walking in Manila at night near a subway. He wants others to tell how they challenged themselves, by bike rides, cycle races, long distance etc, nothing about risking your life in any way. Placing yourself into challenges means challenging yourself to do things you've either never done or haven\t yet accomplished.   Understand now?

On 5/22/2024 at 8:18 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Yes both Monday & Tuesday nights 

From Taft Avenue station to Roosevelt, although alighted at Abdo Santos considered a rough station only to be greeted by two rough looking tattooed guys who turned out to be plainclothes railway police ,very nice to me

Please guys I'm in interested in challenges , comfort zones as you get older 

sounds perfectly normal to pack a bag..passport..flight..visa..etc..to fly to another country to spend 2 nights waiting to see if you would be a victim of crime....bravo....money well spent

want a challenge?   dont even need to book a flight...go wear a gold necklace and strolll around pattaya, as you claim to already be there......also i dont believe you even went to manila, and if so what a foolish idea as per your own claims

Ill be waiting for your report back from the gold necklace at patts as night...dont forget to post pics..or it didnt happen.....smh

Posted (edited)

I just did 200 push-ups (todger to the floor) spread over 8 sets of 25 each. I did the first 100 in 14 minutes. Then I took a 15 minute break. And I did the second 100 in 16 minutes. So the 200 total took me half an hour. And I didn't injure myself, which is key.

I'm similar in age to most of you, but in all fairness I do exercise fairly regularly. Weight training. Walking when circumstances permit. So 200 push-ups wasn't really much of a challenge for me. 

Here is a thought for a useful challenge though which involves no danger and no stupidity: Many people are coffee drinkers, so stop drinking coffee for one week. With the money you save, hand out a total of ฿300 to people you see on the streets in need over the course of that week. Visit one animal shelter during that week and hand out some food to the animals. Visit one children's orphanage during the week and spend some time with the children. And walk at least 1 mile per day for each of the seven days. Don't eat any fast or deep fried food for the week. Then, after the one week, see how you feel. I suspect that you may feel a lot better than you do right now.

If you don't like my ideas, then come up with your own useful and safe tasks to challenge yourself with for a period of one week. The options and opportunities are endless.

Edited by ChumpChange
  • Thumbs Up 1

im finding reading anything posted by anyone withe initials GG to be a challenge in itself and my own sanity for doing it...

biggest challenge im finding is logging onto this site daily and reading posts such as this.....a true challenge to my mindset

Ive also heard jumping off a cliff is dangerous...as you seem to act upon anyone who mentions dangerous things to do.....

as you seem to have clear and rational mindset when it comes to decision making ...hence the true danger is yourself

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

I just did 200 push-ups (todger to the floor) spread over 8 sets of 25 each. I did the first 100 in 14 minutes. Then I took a 15 minute break. And I did the second 100 in 16 minutes. So the 200 total took me half an hour. And I didn't injure myself, which is key.

I'm similar in age to most of you, but in all fairness I do exercise fairly regularly. Weight training. Walking when circumstances permit. So 200 push-ups wasn't really much of a challenge for me. 

Here is a thought for a useful challenge though which involves no danger and no stupidity: Many people are coffee drinkers, so stop drinking coffee for one week. With the money you save, hand out a total of ฿300 to people you see on the streets in need over the course of that week. Visit one animal shelter during that week and hand out some food to the animals. Visit one children's orphanage during the week and spend some time with the children. And walk at least 1 mile per day for each of the seven days. Don't eat any fast or deep fried food for the week. Then, after the one week, see how you feel. I suspect that you may feel a lot better than you do right now.

If you don't like my ideas, then come up with your own useful and safe tasks to challenge yourself with for a period of one week. The options and opportunities are endless.

With pushups you put chest to floor not your todger. Go back and do another 200 correctly.

5 minutes ago, susanlea said:

With pushups you put chest to floor not your todger. Go back and do another 200 correctly.

I use push-up bars which raise my hands about 4" off the floor. If I put my chest on the floor it goes beyond the normal range of motion and could cause shoulder injury. With the todger to the floor method (using push up bars) my elbows are already parallel to my chest.

Regardless, I assure you I've got much more of a chest pump right now than 99.9% of men over 50 years of age. That was your quote wasn't it?

But call me when you've done even one push up though. I also love all your silly assignments. So, please sir, may I have another?

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

The first part of his post was him talking about what he did himself. The second I already posted but will post again seeing you aren't understanding what he said....................

Please I would love to hear from you guys who climb mountains ,do very long bike rides ,cycle races long distance, etc".............................Now, read this again and see that he doesn't say anything about anyone else taking any chances that are dangerous, like he did walking in Manila at night near a subway. He wants others to tell how they challenged themselves, by bike rides, cycle races, long distance etc, nothing about risking your life in any way. Placing yourself into challenges means challenging yourself to do things you've either never done or haven\t yet accomplished.   Understand now?

Yes, and one example was doing something dangerous.

These work well for push-ups. Help to get your hands in a comfortable position, less stress on the shoulder, and less pressure on the wrists this way:

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.Mp5qJ

Decathlon used to sell them, but not sure if they still do. They are easy to travel with too and good for pushups in a hotel room when you don't have access to other equipment. 

27 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, and one example was doing something dangerous.

Anything you do after you leave the house involving movement could be considered dangerous. In fact, many people are hurt and killed in their own bathrooms every year. He didn't ask them to risk their lives like he did, but to tell him what they are doing to challenge themselves. What example do you consider dangerous? Climbing mountains is probably safer than taking a shower. Cycling is probably safer than walking down a Thai road. Riding a bike is probably safer than driving a scooter in traffic. You could stay on your couch eating bon bons every day but you'll probably die younger from a heart attack. So?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

These work well for push-ups. Help to get your hands in a comfortable position, less stress on the shoulder, and less pressure on the wrists this way:

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.Mp5qJ

Decathlon used to sell them, but not sure if they still do. They are easy to travel with too and good for pushups in a hotel room when you don't have access to other equipment. 

You can tie an exercise band around them and use it like a V bar.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Anything you do after you leave the house involving movement could be considered dangerous. In fact, many people are hurt and killed in their own bathrooms every year. He didn't ask them to risk their lives like he did, but to tell him what they are doing to challenge themselves. What example do you consider dangerous? Climbing mountains is probably safer than taking a shower. Cycling is probably safer than walking down a Thai road. Riding a bike is probably safer than driving a scooter in traffic. You could stay on your couch eating bon bons every day but you'll probably die younger from a heart attack. So?

You still do not understand what I consider dangerous? It was what I have mentioned all the time. No need for further discussion, as you totally lost it. Then, starting to compare with people slipping and falling in their bathrooms? Really? So you compare something that people have to go to, be in and visit, with something that is a choice? You are out of touch with reality. 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

You still do not understand what I consider dangerous? It was what I have mentioned all the time. No need for further discussion, as you totally lost it. Then, starting to compare with people slipping and falling in their bathrooms? Really? So you compare something that people have to go to, be in and visit, with something that is a choice? You are out of touch with reality. 

Actually, I'm right on in all I've said. You're not getting the main point I'm making and that's why I asked you if English was your first language, because most anyone would understand what I said. The OP did NOT tell anyone to do anything dangerous. He DID say he did something to challenge himself, although it was a dangerous thing to do. He then, if you still haven't understood it, said,

Please I would love to hear from you guys who climb mountains ,do very long bike rides ,cycle races long distance".  Where do you interpret this as telling others to do anything dangerous, because I, nor anyone else here I'm sure, see this as so?.

He's plainly asking them to, place themselves into challenges (not dangerous situations but things that challenge them), as they get older instead of doing nothing, meaning, instead of just sitting around drinking in a bar, watching TV all day long, working in the garden, going for a walk, playing ping pong, swimming in a pool, walking their dog, or a million other normal daily activities, to challenge themselves and do something they've never done, but maybe wanted to do, were afraid to try because of a fear of failing, or just wanted to live in a safe zone.

You have not said anything you consider dangerous. The only thing I could think of is climbing mountains, which isn't dangerous unless you're talking about K2, which isn't climbing a mountain as much as it is possible suicide. You've said he was trying to put others in that position, and he hasn't. I see much of what I've said has gone over your head, so maybe that's also the things that are as plain as day. Many here have heard you out on some of your posts, which do sound a little out there. This is yet another one. If you don't understand what others are saying, maybe you shouldn't reply, as I do understand that some who's first language isn't English might interpret things differently than those that are. Lost in translation so to speak. It might be a good thing for you to re-read the OP's post, and see what he's asking others to do. It isn't, like you thought, to tell others to do risky things but challenging things, so they don't just do nothing as they get older. That's how I see it, and I'm sure how most others do also.

Edited by fredwiggy

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Actually, I'm right on in all I've said. You're not getting the main point I'm making and that's why I asked you if English was your first language, because most anyone would understand what I said. The OP did NOT tell anyone to do anything dangerous. He DID say he did something to challenge himself, although it was a dangerous thing to do. He then, if you still haven't understood it, said,

Please I would love to hear from you guys who climb mountains ,do very long bike rides ,cycle races long distance".  Where do you interpret this as telling others to do anything dangerous, because I, nor anyone else here I'm sure, see this as so?.

He's plainly asking them to, place themselves into challenges (not dangerous situations but things that challenge them), as they get older instead of doing nothing, meaning, instead of just sitting around drinking in a bar, watching TV all day long, working in the garden, going for a walk, playing ping pong, swimming in a pool, walking their dog, or a million other normal daily activities, to challenge themselves and do something they've never done, but maybe wanted to do, were afraid to try because of a fear of failing, or just wanted to live in a safe zone.

You have not said anything you consider dangerous. You've said he was trying to put others in that position, and he hasn't. I see much of what I've said has gone over your head, so maybe that's also the things that are as plain as day. Many here have heard you out on some of your posts, which do sound a little out there. This is yet another one. If you don't understand what others are saying, maybe you shouldn't reply, as I do understand that some who's first language isn't English might interpret things differently than those that are. Lost in translation so to speak. It might be a good thing for you to re-read the OP's post, and see what he's asking others to do. It isn't, like you thought, to tell others to do risky things but challenging things, so they don't just do nothing as they get older. That's how I see it, and I'm sure how most others do also.

Oh, dear! Do really think I will read all that, after our fruitless conversation. Just go to bed now, and dream sweet.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Oh, dear! Do really think I will read all that, after our fruitless conversation. Just go to bed now, and dream sweet.

We all wish you would do that, but during the day............😬

• Like 1

Just now, Gottfrid said:

I don't think you read much but just skim, like a lot do here, and make decisions based on a few words taken out of context and placed into your own misunderstandings. I'm watching "For Love of the Game", a great baseball movie, and I will go to bed when it's finished, so maybe you better slow down and not reply before you really understand a post.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't think you read much but just skim, like a lot do here, and make decisions based on a few words taken out of context and placed into your own misunderstandings. I'm watching "For Love of the Game", a great baseball movie, and I will go to bed when it's finished, so maybe you better slow down and not reply before you really understand a post.

What, not sleeping yet?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, transam said:

We all wish you would do that, but during the day............😬

You could try 24/7/365

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1

Just now, Gottfrid said:

What, not sleeping yet?

Just now, Gottfrid said:

What, not sleeping yet?

Why would I sleep? I'm watching a good movie. I get up at 5 AM and go to sleep when I'm tired, ensuring I get at least 8 hours of good sleep, because it's good for the mind and body. It makes you think clearly, not make snap judgements, not assume things are so without evidence, make it easier to comprehend the written word, and ensure you make a good argument when you know you are right.

10 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The biggest challange for most, is to get up in the morning and start move and fill the day with something useful and interesting!

Walk the beach if have one

Walk to stairs if you live in a condomenium

Swim if you have swimming pool

Walk the hills if you have hills

Eat clean food, 

Stop drinking

Please fill in