What is the draw of Thermae

2 hours ago, SportRider said:

😀 For 20 years - Beach Club in Kuala Lumpur. 

Sadly now closed, due to tough times of the pandemic. 

This was the ultimate freelancer bar, with great food and live bands.  Sharks in a tank behind the bar.  Girls dancing on tables in a packed floor. 

Good times. 

Strewth the 'Bitch Club', if you were still there at closing time you'd be lucky to get out with clothes on your back, the girls grabbing at you, desperate for a someone to take them home.

Sad when I saw it'd closed.

Just now, spidermike007 said:

There should be a hundred freelance bars like it. The question is not what is the draw. The question is why there are so few. It is so cool.

The fascinating thing about the place, is that the top 25% of the gals there on a busy night, will not even talk to a Westerner. I have inquired about that. They much prefer Japanese and Korean men. 

1. We take too long and chew up too much of their time. 

2. We are larger. Too much wear and tear. 

3. We generally are not willing to pay as much. 

Three strikes and you are out! 

Thats you bro. I get the top 25% any time I want.  If I want it, there is no no. 

As to the rest of your post, thats exactly what I have been listening to for 30 years, Simple business: one fumbling inexperienced Asian, the eternal 3-3-3 rule, 3 inches for 3 minutes for 3000 vs one beer addled 37 year old buff guy from Manchester wearing an Asian Street Meat fan club T-shirt. I know who I would be selling it to if I was in their position.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, In Full Agreement said:

Your idea of a brothel certainly differs from mine.

Well I outgrew chicken shacks 40 years ago

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Thats you bro. I get the top 25% any time I want.  If I want it, there is no no. 

As to the rest of your post, thats exactly what I have been listening to for 30 years, Simple business: one fumbling inexperienced Asian, the eternal 3-3-3 rule, 3 inches for 3 minutes for 3000 vs one beer addled 37 year old buff guy from Manchester wearing an Asian Street Meat fan club T-shirt. I know who I would be selling it to if I was in their position.

I didn't say it was impossible if you are willing to pay a "foreigner fine". A percentage of them will simply quote a far higher price. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The "old thaerme" was the place for "Cheap Charlies" who wanted to dodge the barfines from the hookers in Soi Cowboy and other places.
After 22:00hr, all the bargirls who were not bought for the night went to the Thaerme for a second chance.

Had very good times there.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

The original Queen's Castle on Patpong 1 was, in my opinion, the best bar in Bangkok in the 1970/1980s. It was voted the best bar in Asia, and possibly the world, by Time magazine. Great girls, great service, great fun.

so many bars, so much alcohol..but no instagram.

thank god

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The "old thaerme" was the place for "Cheap Charlies" who wanted to dodge the barfines from the hookers in Soi Cowboy and other places.
After 22:00hr, all the bargirls who were not bought for the night went to the Thaerme for a second chance.

Had very good times there.

Yeah barfines were 200B.

Now you cant hardly even barfine out of Soi Cowboy as its all drink pumping

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Yeah barfines were 200B.

Now you cant hardly even barfine out of Soi Cowboy as its all drink pumping

In my time, barfines at Soi Cowboy were 500 Baht.

Posted (edited)

Lucky enough to go there nearly every night in the late 80s when I was slumming it in Bangkok , it closed at 6am in those days

This book goes a long way to describing the amazing atmosphere in those days

A Killing Smile- Christopher Moore    

This special editions cover is made from the original Thermea seating booths

https://www.christophergmoore.com/product-page/a-killing-smile-special-edition

I went in last month, and was surprised that I got plenty of attention from the girls as a white elderly male

Edited by Seppius
added text
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Here is a blast from the past.

Anyone ever been to Woodstock, used to be in the top corner of Nana?

How about Tahitian Queen in Pattaya?

Yes and yes. Enjoyed both. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Yagoda said:

I think you are right.

Dont forget the Grace Coffee shop.

Not forgotten but do not care for the clientele. 🚫

Reading the reviews on Gmap, and seems to be a place for freelancers to hang out for offering very expensive services.   Awaiting the ignorant drunks who are thinking with the wrong head. 

• Like 1

When I last went there around 10 years ago, most of the girls said "Korean customers" only. It couldn't have gotten better—Koreans paid more for shorter rental periods. The same is true in the Philippines. Koreans rule there, too, mostly because they consider it an honour to overpay—a sort of badge of honour.

IMO Thermae exists mainly as a legend as the reality ( when I last visited it ) is not that great. A dark basement so noisy it's difficult to hear what a possible for the night might be saying.

Back when it was becoming legend, it was probably the only place to go to for free lancers, as the girls in Nana etc ( in general ) didn't go freelance after the bars closed

a/ because they probably didn't close till near dawn ( my favourite bar was open long after daylight )

b/ it was likely to cause trouble with the mamasan if the bar wasn't getting it's barfine.

All that changed after thaksin's evil henchman purachai did his best to destroy the farang scene and brought in early closing.

As the girls were not able to get barfined as much, they resorted to freelancing on Sukhumvit, and the entrepreneurs stepped in with pavement bars.

It's a completely different scene now to what it was before purachai ( may he rot in hell ).

It's a bit like Maya Bay, which is just an average beach, but everyone wants to visit it because it was in a movie. Thermae isn't anything special, but people go there because it has a reputation.

In my opinion.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Strewth the 'Bitch Club', if you were still there at closing time you'd be lucky to get out with clothes on your back, the girls grabbing at you, desperate for a someone to take them home.

Sad when I saw it'd closed.

Bizarre place. A girl grabs you by the arm as you walk in. I think they have a que system or they can tell which girl is a good match without any discussion and that one will step forward. If you are hesitant, shy or poor on decisions that was the place to be.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Are you sure about the bars closing at 10pm? Back when I visited Thermae, the bars were open till well past 2 am, many somewhere around dawn. Hollywood Royale was still going at about 8 am. I don't know what time it actually closed as I never last that long.

34 minutes ago, Seppius said:

A Killing Smile- Christopher Moore    

This special editions cover is made from the original Thermea seating booths

Poor old Christopher Moore.Laughably pretentious but can't actually write very well, clunky and tedious. I've never managed to finish one of his novels.He doesn't even have the trashy appeal of Stephen "sock puppet" Leather.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Here is a blast from the past.

Anyone ever been to Woodstock, used to be in the top corner of Nana?

How about Tahitian Queen in Pattaya?

I don't spend much, if any time in Bangkok these days, but I do remember Thermae from the 1980s - loved its total sleaziness 😆

Woodstock too from the same period.

Now, TQ on Pattaya Beach Road is going strong!  I believe it was the first gogo in Pattaya (?) - was certainly there in the 1980s when I first went.

They had a fire some years ago and rebuilt it as close to the original as possible.

For those who don't know, it's a gogo playing rock music and with a few VDO screens showing music VDOs.

Good squad of ladies of all shapes and sizes, helpful staff and GREAT rock only music.

They open at about 2PM with (I think) 4 shifts of dancers up to midnight.

Drink prices are more expensive that many bars, but still cheaper than Walking Street.

If you happen to be a Hasher, its an essential visit if in Pattaya. Then again if you ARE a Hasher you probably already know it!

Search AN forum - there have been several threads about it over the years.

Edited by VBF