Not accepting foreign credit cards

My wife had taken her new car for a six month checkup at the local Honda dealership where she bought the car.

When I went to pay the bill with my credit card they told me that they don't accept foreign credit cards.

All the years that I have lived here this has never happened to me. Sure, many places don't accept Amex but always Visa or MC.

Is this just a Honda thing or do the other car dealerships have the same policy regarding payment?

• Confused 1

So you live in Thailand and STILL do Not understand Thai Culture.

Living in Harmony ranks very highly in Thai Society.  I'm sorry for your struggles with payment but this is THAILAND.

Things are different, the systems are different, the processes are different, the fees are different, the taxes are different.

We all here could tell stories of our struggles with transitioning and understanding Thai Customs and Culture.

You chose to let it make you angry or laugh in amusement.  

Thank You for contributing so others understand to ALWAYS have a backup payment method available.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

You live in Thailand.  Thai culture and customs.  They don't accept foreign credit card, No problem, pay with Cash, Bank App.

No a big deal for Thai People, 

This is what living in Harmony and Thailand is about

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

in Bangkok Silom Edge building is a Shabu Buffet restaurant, which states at the cashier foreign credit cards add 5% extra.
I'm now not sure where, but I had a second restaurant which add extra costs to a foreign CC.

But I also see more and more restaurants which not accept cash anymore, which is more questioning, as tourists not have the ability to use SCAN function, so they have to use the "sometimes" more expensive credit card option.

About Honda dealership, not every dealer handles the payment the same way. Some will accept and some won't.

Edited by HampiK
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I have seen many hotels in Pattaya, Phuket etc advertising a 3% surcharge on the use of CC. I always thought it applied to all CC but maybe as the hotels are patronised mainly by foreigners, it's just foreign cards. Doesn't make any difference to me but I might ask next time.

What DOES make a difference is the exchange rate. I used my UK card once in Pattaya, and if (for example) the CASH rate on the day was 42, the card was billed at 38! So combine that with the 3% surcharge and it mounts up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, maxx58 said:

My wife had taken her new car for a six month checkup at the local Honda dealership where she bought the car.

When I went to pay the bill with my credit card they told me that they don't accept foreign credit cards.

All the years that I have lived here this has never happened to me. Sure, many places don't accept Amex but always Visa or MC.

Is this just a Honda thing or do the other car dealerships have the same policy regarding payment?

I use my Capital One (Visa) at my Honda Car Dealer here in Chiang Mai exclusively without issue.

• Thanks 1

I have used my US credit card at the Honda and Toyota dealers here in Chiang Rai without any problems.  On the other hand it is not accepted at the place where I buy my swimming pool supplies.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I understand that if you don't have a local bank then you're at the mercy of local retailers - though credit card companies don't allow retailers to add fees to their cards. When I use a Thai credit card in Vietnam the hotel charges the fee and I don't have much choice if I am leaving for the airport.

If you are retired here you must have a bank account and can use the ATM card as a debit card to pay 

Edited by Purdey
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, VBF said:

What DOES make a difference is the exchange rate. I used my UK card once in Pattaya, and if (for example) the CASH rate on the day was 42, the card was billed at 38! So combine that with the 3% surcharge and it mounts up!

Sounds like you may have chosen (or were unknowingly made) to pay in GBP which leaves you at the mercy of the vendor's exchange rate rather than the Visa/Mastercard rate which would have been much better.  Paying in THB will almost always give you a better exchange rate.

Your bank fees are avoidable if you have a card which is free of these - Halifax Clarity is one such card, however my understanding was you didn't get hit with the fees if you were billed in GBP.  Maybe some banks still use "overseas purchases" to charge fees on rather than "foreign currency transactions"?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1