Big Thailand visa changes from June 1

6 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

China and India seem to be the big winners here. Last year the most they could do was pay for a 15 day visa on arrival that could not be extended.

Now the two biggest populations on the planet get a free 60 day visa exempt that can be extended 30 days

Malaysia over stay rates from India were very high. This is now allowing Indians (and Chinese) essentially to stay in Thailand long term. 

• Agree 1

So if get VOA for 60 days and can extend by 30 days .Do you think a border run will be another 60 days or will they cap it at 30 .Two border runs and can stay over 6 months at a time ?

5 minutes ago, Nickcage49 said:

Joy.

For those living here, I don't see anything that will help improve our lives or the hassle of dealing with immigration.

Your major hassle will be navigating through traffic and queuing to get to that immigration centre. Not immigration itself. These new measures will increase numbers from around 40 million visitors to around 80-90 million visitors. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I got lost in all the posts and news articles, as immigration always presents it nice but does anyone now know: we now get 60 day on arrival or what? Or is it just that people who did a visa on arrival application, getting 60 days, which is effectively the same as 60 days on a tourist visa obtained abroad?

If we all get 60 days on arrival now I will ring the bell today.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

They should start with a special visa granted to all those above 50 who own property in Thailand and mainly deliver it with none of the absurd foreign health insurance requisites that ask to mention the minimun amount of coverage. Just a proof of ownership of the condo or 30yr leasehold with passport, photo  and pension  certificate should be enough for this special visa that could be valid 10 years with a maximum stay of 4 months each year and no absurd requirements to "requalify" each year like with the LTR visa.

Thailand bureacrats dont think like that.  They put down their phones and react only when something that comes down the line from their superiors/betters.  When the 'bosses' said we need more visitors to Thailand for their money - then they do that and only that.  The 'thought' of doing a complete review of the entire non-immigrant Visa system, just does not enter their heads - especially regarding the need to attract more retired/married long term Expats.  And one thing they will not do, is ask foreigners for their advice and/or opinions. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

How do you know, details haven't been released yet 

Because they aren't making any changes to Immigration orders, which allows a 30 day extension for VE entries.   🙄

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I got lost in all the posts and news articles, as immigration always presents it nice but does anyone now know: we now get 60 day on arrival or what? Or is it just that people who did a visa on arrival application, getting 60 days, which is effectively the same as 60 days on a tourist visa obtained abroad?

Are you confusing visa exempt with visa on arrival.

Your nationality would dictate which of these would be used for entry.

11 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

we now get 60 day on arrival or what?

Summary:

The details include:

- Increase the number of visa-free countries from 57 to 93, including Albania, China, Cambodia, India, Kazakhstan, Laos, Jamaica, Romania, Sri Lanka, Panama, Mexico, Morocco, Uzbekistan, etc.

- Extend the period of visa-free stays from 30 days to 60 days.

- Expand the list of countries eligible for visa arrivals from 19 to 31.

visa-free stays extend to 60 days but i'm not clear whether or not visa on arrival extends to 60 days.

5 hours ago, tandor said:

i hope its grandfathered !!

Didn't they back date four or six years the last time they "grandfathered" retirement extensions? That is, people who had maintained their extensions for four (or six, can't remember which) years prior to the rules changes were allowed to keep the existing conditions for retirement extensions. If so, that would mean people who have maintained retirement extensions uninterruptedly since 2020 (or 2018) would keep their current requirements. If they just wipe out everybody, I wonder if that will include those people who were grandfathered with the 200K earlier? Some are still around.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You WILL get 60 days instead of 30 days visa exemption on entry.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, george said:

"doing a complete review of the entire non-immigrant Visa system", is exactly what they will do, reducing the number of NON-Immigrant categories.

I certainly hope so George - but even more I hope they realise the value that 300-400K western long term retired/married Expats bring to the country and its people. It would be nice of there was a single organisation that 'spoke' on their behalf, like the about 80K Japanese Expats have.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

How can I change my visa exemption on entry to a tourist visa when I come across from Laos on June 1, 2024? I need to qualify for a Thai bank account and other necessities of Thai life before selecting a visa to fit my new life. What is the link for these changes, please?

Edited by he was a quiet man

Devil is in the details. Of which we have few. Let's see what 1 June produces. This all seems geared to hitting the mythical 50+ million tourist a year goal. Regardless, DTV is not a long stay visa but it will definitely have a niche. One thing is certain... everything eventually changes. Remain calm and relax.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, george said:

I thought that is what TNT said last night.....Lot of confusion out there. 

So when my visa runs out, if I just wanted to do a hop, they will give 60 days.......?

3 minutes ago, transam said:

So when my visa runs out, if I just wanted to do a hop, they will give 60 days.......?

Yes, if they let you in. Max 2 border entries per year...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Read the opening post of the topic for the changes.

- Extend the period of visa-free stays from 30 days to 60 days

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, george said:

I do? So that is ringing the bell then! Why nobody just say this in 1 sentence in a headline, that is big news together with better exchange rates. That does make single entry tourist visa's worthless, which is great news again, less queue's for us with non-o applications.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

so 60 day tourist visa is worthless now?

depends on what limits are applied to multiple visa exempts. eg if the limit is say 2 per year then a 60 day tourist visa would come into play for next entry same year.