Big Thailand visa changes from June 1

4 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Maybe they should try learning the language. 

They don't need to and are in n' out. They are still going to get a dick the short time they are here though, soon forgotten when they leave.

9 hours ago, humbug said:

Using the visa two times for extension is kinda multi-entry, it's not difficult for immigration to stamp 'used' once you have gained the 2nd extension of 180 days, within a validity of a 5 year visa

That sounds like double-entry and mot multiple-entry. Until now, multiple-entry has always meant "as many times as you like until the visa expires". I simply cannot see multiple-entry suddenly meaning only two entries. Makes no sense and goes against the convention they have always used.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mstevens said:

That sounds like double-entry and mot multiple-entry. Until now, multiple-entry has always meant "as many times as you like until the visa expires". I simply cannot see multiple-entry suddenly meaning only two entries. Makes no sense and goes against the convention they have always used.

“Double entry”.  That's exactly what it is.
It doesn't make sense? To whom?
“Conventions? Suddenly”? Lol.
Flip-Flop, Flop-Flip...
Buy it, and check it out! The 3rd entry, or extension (for 180 days), will be a personal highlight.
At least, 5 years time to choose,
when to go for the 3rd attempt. Or, just not.

Edited by Maitdjai

16 hours ago, Maestro said:

Nothing definite yet. The latest estimate I have seen says end of June.

Thank you @Maestro.

I know this is a serious matter (if it actually pans out, it'll save me a bit of effort and a few £) but I can't help laughing how everyone, including the UK government, accepted the initial announcement and then had to backtrack and wait and see what actually happens.

Don't they know.....TIT where the rule is "do nothing immediately"? 🙄

Posted (edited)

How can they announce such important changes impacting all their tourists, but not providing any details about it ? Probably the immigration officers don't even know what it is all about...Anybody in a real company would be fired immediately for not having thought about it.

Edited by frankstraube
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

What would be the point of 2 x 180 day period within 5 years if not back to back or nearly back to back ? At most, you could argue 2 x winters which would be within 15/18 months.

So in 2024, you fancy 5 months and you buy this visa. Unless it is the cheapest way to remain for a single 180 day stay or you want between 6 and 12 months, then there is no logic to suggest you might, say in 2027, want another 180 day stay.

Poorly thought out as usual with no-one running the ideas past anyone with a western brain to see if they make sense.

Edited by SGD
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SGD said:

Poorly thought out as usual with no-one running the ideas past anyone with a western brain to see if they make sense.

We don't know yet. But it's a multi entry visa. So it could turn up as 180 days per visit as stated on https://dtv.in.th/en

"With the Destination Thailand Visa, you are allowed to stay in Thailand for up to 180 days per visit, and the visa is valid for 5 years. It is a multiple-entry visa, allowing a period of stay up to 180 days per visit, on a multiple-entry basis within 5 years."

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

We don't know yet.

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

That website is not formal. It is made up by a random person so has no better info than what is already posted here (I think it's 180 days per calender year, not per visit)

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

That website is not formal. It is made up by a random person so has no better info than what is already posted here (I think it's 180 days per calender year, not per visit)

You are right, Pattaya57, the website dtv.in.th/en is not formal, in the sense that it is not a website operated by an agency of the Thai government.

What do we have from a "formal" website? The only thing I can remember is some text posted by a member, I  believe it was George, from prd.go.th, if I remember correctly, the website of "The Government Public Relations Department", or perhaps it was an English translation of a Thai text on that site. It was quite a long text but there have been so many topics here on the proposed new changes to visa rules that I would not know where to start looking for it.

So I now did a search of my own on prd.go.th an found 

https://thailand.prd.go.th/en/content/category/detail/id/48/iid/293120

from which I quote the following:

3) Introducing the new Destination Thailand Visa (DTV) for long-term travel, “digital nomads,” and participants in certain cultural activities, with a period of stay up to 180 days per visit, on a multiple-entry basis within 5 years;

We all can make of this what we want, interpret it any way we choose. All I can say is that we shan't know the full and final details until, if ever, the DTV is launched.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, SGD said:

What would be the point of 2 x 180 day period within 5 years if not back to back or nearly back to back ? At most, you could argue 2 x winters which would be within 15/18 months.

So in 2024, you fancy 5 months and you buy this visa. Unless it is the cheapest way to remain for a single 180 day stay or you want between 6 and 12 months, then there is no logic to suggest you might, say in 2027, want another 180 day stay.

It also doesn't make sense for them to allow people to bounce in & out of the country getting 180 days each time & effectively getting a Visa where they can live in Thailand for 5.5 years when they're charging people 900K for the same thing + a few rounds of golf. 

What makes the most sense is it's a Visa that allows you to spend up to 180 days in Thailand every year for 5 years with the option of extending this for another 180 days in year 6.

But This is Thailand & western logic just doesn't apply so who knows which way it will go 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/30/2024 at 6:44 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Currently Cambodia  and Laos have free entry under bilateral agreements (which includes unlimited entries). Both will change to 60 day visa exempts from 1 June which does raise the question about only two visa exempts allowed by land per calender year (maybe bilateral agreements stay in place as well?)

Screenshot_20240530_185116_Samsung Internet.jpg

LoL!!

Cambodia and Laos will continue to enjoy unlimited entries by land or any transportation method they choose of course.

There is no way a 2 entries per year restriction could be enforced for them. There would be riots.

No way it's happening. 

Funny you even believe this would be possible when so many come and go nearly every day of the year. I'm laughing over my coffee now.

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

It also doesn't make sense for them to allow people to bounce in & out of the country getting 180 days each time & effectively getting a Visa where they can live in Thailand for 5.5 years when they're charging people 900K for the same thing + a few rounds of golf. 

What makes the most sense is it's a Visa that allows you to spend up to 180 days in Thailand every year for 5 years with the option of extending this for another 180 days in year 6.

But This is Thailand & western logic just doesn't apply so who knows which way it will go 

It doesn't make sense to your western mind but it might just happen.

There are different requirements for this visa compared to the privilege visa.

1 hour ago, Highlandman said:

LoL!!

Cambodia and Laos will continue to enjoy unlimited entries by land or any transportation method they choose of course.

There is no way a 2 entries per year restriction could be enforced for them. There would be riots.

No way it's happening. 

Funny you even believe this would be possible when so many come and go nearly every day of the year. I'm laughing over my coffee now.

No need to spill your coffee when you've taken something out of context.

I was purely explaining to another poster who didn't know about the bi-laterals and I even said they would likely keep the bilateral agreements going (but nothing published yet so I couldnt say for sure)

On 6/9/2024 at 5:31 AM, Pattaya57 said:

My best guess is that it will work the same as the current mult-entry 180 day tourist visa.  The difference being that you only need to apply for it once every 5 years instead of every year.   The other difference being that it allows you to legally work as a digital nomad and a few other things. 

I am guessing they will need to have some sort of stipulation that you can only use it for 180 days every 360, except for the one time where you can extend up to 360 in a 5 year period.  This is all pure speculation on my part but that is what would make the most sense.

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 1

If they were clever with this DTV they could get most of the digital nomads in SE Asia.  Wonder if anyone has done financial modelling on how much money could be brought into Thailand?

Totally absurd steps as one of the biggest spenders are the retirees who own property in Thailand.

The non imm O visa for retirement should be given for at least 4 months, with no further hassles or red tape on the e-visa website,  to all western european nationals who own property.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Totally absurd steps as one of the biggest spenders are the retirees who own property in Thailand.

The non imm O visa for retirement should be given for at least 4 months, with no further hassles or red tape on the e-visa website,  to all western european nationals who own property.

I think you are more than a little confused 😕 Long Stay expats (even ones married to thaiz who support the obligatory in-lawz & out-lawz) are NOT significant contributors to the country as a whole.

It is TOURISTS that "grease this wheel" here. They outspend long stay foreigners day in day out AND most importantly after they're done touring, they leave and go back to where they came from 😛 

2 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

I think you are more than a little confused 😕 Long Stay expats (even ones married to thaiz who support the obligatory in-lawz & out-lawz) are NOT significant contributors to the country as a whole.

It is TOURISTS that "grease this wheel" here. They outspend long stay foreigners day in day out AND most importantly after they're done touring, they leave and go back to where they came from 😛 

I disagree.

The average spend per tourist per trip in 2023 was just under 51k baht (3k baht per day) whilst the average duration of stay was 17 days, after which they are gone until next year.

Meanwhile, this expat at least spends in excess of 75k per 30 days (2,500 baht [er day) but stays every day of the year.

https://thailand.prd.go.th/en/content/category/detail/id/52/iid/266973#:~:text=The survey%2C which involved 30%2C054,averaging 23%2C518 baht per trip.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1154981/thailand-length-of-stay-of-hotel-guests-by-region-of-origin/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

Maybe you are confused, I spend more than 150K a month, every month.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

The average spend per tourist per trip in 2023 was just under 51k baht (3k baht per day) whilst the average duration of stay was 17 days, after which they are gone until next year.

Thailand is expected to welcome 36 million foreign tourists in 2024. 

You do the math @Mike Lister. What us long-stay expats spend doesn't even factor into the grand scheme of things. We are too small a number to make a difference. It is what it is just have to accept it 

Believe me you're far from the first foreigner who has a skewed perception of their contribution or their importance to this country.. 

How about we agree to disagree and call it a day?

• Agree 2