Thailand to join the BRICS+

It looks as thought Thailand has made a decision to align with China, Russia, Brazil, South Africa, and India, the Global South, and other non-Western developing and third-world nations in what will be an economic and possibly a future security consortium to counter the unipolar West and the G7.
Next up:  Sanctions threats from the US and the EU.  Coming soon no doubt.  Monopolies detest competition.

"Bangkok sees Thailand’s future in a multipolar world, the Asian country’s government has said Thailand will apply to become a member of the BRICS economic bloc, the government of the Southeast Asian country announced on Tuesday"
Source: https://thepressunited.com/updates/brics-receives-new-membership-bid/

You can find multiple sources on this development if you do an Internet search on "Thailand approves official BRICS membership bid"

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

It looks as thought Thailand has made a decision to align with China, Russia, Brazil, South Africa, and India, the Global South, and other non-Western developing and third-world nations in what will be an economic and possibly a future security consortium to counter the unipolar West and the G7.
Next up:  Sanctions threats from the US and the EU.  Coming soon no doubt.  Monopolies detest competition.

"Bangkok sees Thailand’s future in a multipolar world, the Asian country’s government has said Thailand will apply to become a member of the BRICS economic bloc, the government of the Southeast Asian country announced on Tuesday"
Source: https://thepressunited.com/updates/brics-receives-new-membership-bid/

You can find multiple sources on this development if you do an Internet search on "Thailand approves official BRICS membership bid"

I see this got buried in a hurry.  No problem.  Time.  Given enough time all facts floats to the surface.  This week, next week, next month - then suddenly it can't be ignored.  ⏲️

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I can't see any tight ties with Europe or US.

Other than PM thavisin had been recently traveling worldwide to Western countries begging for their investments into Thailand. Thailand will not likely become a Western loyalty country. 

BRIC is forecasted to overtake the G7 in economic size within two decades. Apr. 2024 https://www.visualcapitalist.com

What could wrong within 20 years?

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Seems to be a reasonable decision. Within BRICS they can act on a same level as the other members.

🙏

Thankfully as a FTA w/USA would suck ... :coffee1:

22 hours ago, topt said:

What nonsense. What sanctions are there on India and South Africa - and Brazil..........

Thailand is but one country applying and not the first in line. There was a fairly recent thread on this.

What real difference do you think it will make to you if/when they do join?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-68988190

https://www.citizen.co.za/network-news/lnn/article/us-president-did-not-warn-of-sanctions-if-ruling-anc-wins-2024-elections/

Example to threats above.  You obviously don't keep up with U.S. sanctions threats.

Give it time.  As BRICS+ allows more of the Global South, ME/NA, South and Latin America, Asian, and countries which the U.S. openly dislikes to join the alliance, the U.S. will threaten sanctions in order to convince these potential member countries to reconsider.  Why?  That's the standard operating procedures for the U.S. and other European post-colonial powers.
The BRICS is an existential threat to U.S. and Western unipolar economic hegemony as well as a threat to the U.S. Reserve Currency status, and its going to kick, scream, and throw a temper tantrum when it loses market share and its reserve currency status to the other 6 billion people on the planet who don't want to play by the U.S. "rules-based international order." 

:angry: What real difference do you think it will make to you if/when they do join?

An economic and security realignment that will allow BRICS nations to ignore the economic and military threats posed by Western countries which currently make up the G-7 which represents less than 1 billion people on this planet, as well as a loss of relevance of the G-7 nations as well as isolation of countries who are openly hostile to countries in the BRICS alliance.

:angry: What nonsense.

Time will tell.  Watch for news from the October 2024 BRICS Summit in Kazan, Russian.
https://infobrics.org/

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Example to threats above.  You obviously don't keep up with U.S. sanctions threats.

India looking to do a specific deal with Iran - not really directly BRICS related is it.......

Second example has been proven (according to your link) as a fake...... So how long did it take you to come up with those 2 poor examples which don't really support your original hypotheses.......

7 minutes ago, connda said:

What real difference do you think it will make to you if/when they do join?

An economic and security realignment that will allow BRICS nations to ignore the economic and military threats posed by Western countries which currently make up the G-7 which represents less than 1 billion people on this planet, as well as a loss of relevance of the G-7 nations as well as isolation of countries who are openly hostile to countries in the BRICS alliance.

And your answer tells us how that affects you personally........?

I was genuinely intrigued as to how you thought it would impact your life.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, bradiston said:

BRICS is just a mechanism for the big 3 to help themselves to anything they want in the Global South. It's going to be a total carve up. You think the west was bad. Just wait for this sxxx show to kick off. Every day I read comments about China setting debt traps, muscling in on other people's territory, what a danger they are to world peace and democracy (same as Russia) etc etc. Yet when it comes to BRICS, suddenly they and the other land grabbers are the saviours of the world. How bloody naive can you get? Leopards can't change their spots.

That's sort of just projecting what the US, Europe, and Britain have been doing for the last three centuries.  <laughs>

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, connda said:

Whenever you see "experts say" it's time to figure out things on your own.  But most people have all of the analytical power of a box of rocks, so they just go with their home-country's propaganda and call it "reality."  Whatever.....  Time will tell all although the moronic-class will be told that Freedom is Slavery and Ignorance is Strength - and they'll happily buy it all and cheer for war, as War is Peace.  :wink:

I mostly agree with your post above. However, the article I referenced was fair, factual (at least for the present) and painted a solid picture for the boxes of rocks out there. Disagree

Edited by Skeptic7

After the last military coup, the military government strengthened Thailand's ties with China.  It's at that point, the USA basically gave up on Thailand and turned their focus towards other allies in the region. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Seems to be a reasonable decision. Within BRICS they can act on a same level as the other members.

🙏

Maybe ‘arm twisting ‘ by big brother China whom Thailand depends for infrastructure construction and financing . However Thailand has a big trading partner in USA too especially the agricultural and seafood products. Some sectors of the economy need to be pro china while others need to be pro america. A dilemma indeed. 

• Haha 1

America basically does herself a disservice when she freeze Russia’s 300 billion dollar sovereign fund as well as weaponizing the dollar for the whole world to see. Nothing can be more glaring to all by the ‘below the belt’ punches. If a global power like Russia can get such treatment, what is there to prevent America from doing the same to other lesser countries at her whims? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

However Thailand has a big trading partner in USA too especially the agricultural and seafood products.

USA is now strengthening ties with Vietnam. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/09/11/joint-leaders-statement-elevating-united-states-vietnam-relations-to-a-comprehensive-strategic-partnership/

Thailand has already chosen Big Brother.  They'll have to live with that in the future. 

Plenty of other markets in the region for the USA to look towards. 

• Haha 1

Viet-nam is number one country if you want to make purchases and dont paying customs in European Union.

I purchase China mobile appliance smartphones core 10 one at a time and I didnt pay customs in European Union bureaucracy knight crussaders. (I havent been there althought I often travel to Thailand)

My favorite place after Thailand is Malaysia Kuala Lumpur in Petronas Tower area and secondly Bukit Bitang -Fahreneit area.

I love Malay origins and places in Kuala Lumpur.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, connda said:

That's sort of just projecting what the US, Europe, and Britain have been doing for the last three centuries.  <laughs>

And you think Russia and China are any different? Explain how. The global South is in effect just Africa and South America. So Africa is going to get recolonised by Russia and China. It's happening already. Military too from Russia. Naive to think Putin's intentions are anything else. And Xi the same. South China Sea anyone? Taiwan? Thibet? Xinjiang? I hear the non stop anti Chinese screams from people on this forum. Yet they're huge Brickies and massively anti West when push comes to shove. Good luck with that. You're on your own.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Maybe ‘arm twisting ‘ by big brother China whom Thailand depends for infrastructure construction and financing . However Thailand has a big trading partner in USA too especially the agricultural and seafood products. Some sectors of the economy need to be pro china while others need to be pro america. A dilemma indeed. 

Maybe. But the world is shifting. There other big players than the former hegemon USA. 

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

Maybe. But the world is shifting. There other big players than the former hegemon USA. 

It's a bit more bad than that, it is actually the same elite players, they just decided they wanna play in other countries now.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

30 years ago, the USSR could be described as a "hegemon". They controlled vast swathes of the planet. Most of Central Asia and Eastern Europe, and the Baltic states. All this rubbish about the US taking over the world! The USSR collapsed and it's vast empire broke up. The West didn't steal it, nor even make any real moves to take it over. Those eastern European and Baltic states were given the option of joining the EU, which almost all of them did. I wonder why? So much has been invented about "the West". Most critics on this platform and elsewhere originated there, and indeed are still there, and I don't see any mass migration towards BRICS amongst them. The USSR dominated eastern Europe for almost 50 years, and turned it into a disgustingly corrupt authoritarian dystopia. Every country had a vicious secret police, one of which Comrade Putin was heavily involved with. His CV stinks. They suppressed by force any show of resistance, 1956 in Budapest, and 1968 in Prague. So it's just a bunch of grossly hypocritical ignorant churlish ingrates who whine and whinge about their origins. Go and live in a BRICS country! There's plenty of choice! And good riddance.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

30 years ago, the USSR could be described as a "hegemon". They controlled vast swathes of the planet. Most of Central Asia and Eastern Europe, and the Baltic states. All this rubbish about the US taking over the world! The USSR collapsed and it's vast empire broke up. The West didn't steal it, nor even make any real moves to take it over. Those eastern European and Baltic states were given the option of joining the EU, which almost all of them did. I wonder why? So much has been invented about "the West". Most critics on this platform and elsewhere originated there, and indeed are still there, and I don't see any mass migration towards BRICS amongst them. The USSR dominated eastern Europe for almost 50 years, and turned it into a disgustingly corrupt authoritarian dystopia. Every country had a vicious secret police, one of which Comrade Putin was heavily involved with. His CV stinks. They suppressed by force any show of resistance, 1956 in Budapest, and 1968 in Prague. So it's just a bunch of grossly hypocritical ignorant churlish ingrates who whine and whinge about their origins. Go and live in a BRICS country! There's plenty of choice! And good riddance.

Sorry to say, but that's nonsense what you post here:

"Combined, the BRICS members encompass about 30% of the world's land surface and 45% of the global population.[a] Brazil, Russia, India, and China are among the world's ten largest countries by population, area, and gross domestic product (GDP) nominal and by purchasing power parity. All five initial member states are members of the G20, with a combined nominal GDP of US$28 trillion (about 27% of the gross world product), a total GDP (PPP) of around US$57 trillion (33% of global GDP PPP), and an estimated US$4.5 trillion in combined foreign reserves (as of 2018).[8][9]"

So, it makes sense to join these countries for economical benefit. 

As US and the so called "West" are going to be unstable and unreliable, Thailand's move towards BRICS is understandable. More even because the cultural bonds with China.🙏

15 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Sorry to say, but that's nonsense what you post here:

"Combined, the BRICS members encompass about 30% of the world's land surface and 45% of the global population.[a] Brazil, Russia, India, and China are among the world's ten largest countries by population, area, and gross domestic product (GDP) nominal and by purchasing power parity. All five initial member states are members of the G20, with a combined nominal GDP of US$28 trillion (about 27% of the gross world product), a total GDP (PPP) of around US$57 trillion (33% of global GDP PPP), and an estimated US$4.5 trillion in combined foreign reserves (as of 2018).[8][9]"

So, it makes sense to join these countries for economical benefit. 

As US and the so called "West" are going to be unstable and unreliable, Thailand's move towards BRICS is understandable. More even because the cultural bonds with China.🙏

So what? Did I ever argue about the size of BRICS? No. I denounced Russia as an ex hegemon and China as a current one. Your idiotic deflections are completely irrelevant. The 2 biggest players are near fascist states, authoritarian, dictatorial, one party. So what's to like? Absolutely sweet fa. Do you live in one? It's all rubbish, this slobbering over the 2 nastiest states in the world. Why don't you live in China or Russia, newbie?

• Thanks 1