New Tax Rules for Expats in Thailand Spark Concern

webfact

3 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

A few years ago, I was informed that the US and Thailand have a tax treaty. Meaning that if a US person files a US tax return, they don't owe any income tax in Thailand. I remember when the banks were offering fairly high interest rates on short term savings instruments that a tax was levied against the earned interest. Since Thailand and the US had the tax treaty, if the income from these instruments was claimed on the US tax return, then the person could make a claim (with a Thai tax number) and be reimbursed the tax that was levied. It's been several years since I went through this process of applying for a reimbursement since the interest rate banks were offering on short term instruments was less than I could get on my savings accounts in the US. As a retiree, I think that pensions and social security are not consider as earned income. So it will be interesting to see how the tax treaty affects this new tax development.

Your understanding of how the US tax treaty with Thai works is not correct.

In general, you can offset US tax paid against required payments for Thai tax. But even if you pay taxes in the US, there may still be a Thai tax liability.

You would have to complete a Thai tax form to know for sure.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

A lot of Farangs in the village have no clue about this.

Ignorance of the Law is no excuse. Late filing brings 1.50% penalty per month and failure to file a return the penalty was mentioned as being up to 100% of the tax assessed, plus possibility of imprisonment.

Up to them.

Edited by tandor
add on
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, tgw said:

I was led to this thread by the headline "

BREAKING: Expats in Thailand to face substantial tax bills

"

in my email.

can the authors please elaborate on the substantial tax bill we will face, and why that is not an hypothetical ?

I believe it means they will increase the amounts of tax to be paid so they can prepare to pay an aging Thai society. 

11 minutes ago, Richard5 said:

If you think that Thailand does not have the tools and capabilities to enforce this law you are wrong. My calculations indicate that if you are here over 180 days, are single and over 65, if you remit one million baht to Thailand in a tax year you will have a tax liability. And to the degree that remittance crosses the one million mark that liability goes up significantly. Everything is trackable...Wise, Credit Cards. ATM withdrawals...literally everything. If you believe that this is going to be short lived, not enforced or is lacking in details  I think you will be in for an unpleasant  surprise 

14 minutes ago, sungod said:

And they will chase each transaction up?

You guys can work this out.

6 minutes ago, mania said:

Question...So at the end of the day if all monies I bring into Thailand to live on are from US Social Security payments & savings in the USA I need not file anything?

You are confusing two questions:

Do you need to fill out a Thai tax return?

And

When you fill out that return, will you have to pay anything?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, WingFat said:

It occurs to me that there are only two countries that tax worldwide income; the USA and Eritrea of east Africa.

Americans get a foreign tax credit on their US taxes for taxes paid in a foreign country, so no change for them. I don't know about how it will work out for Eritreans.

For the expats that hail from countries that do not tax their citizens if they are out of the country for a specified time (usually it's 180 days or more) in a calendar year, they have been enjoying tax-free living while expatting in the LOS, in many cases, for decades.

While I sympathize with those who will find this a challenge to pay Thai taxes, the saying of "there's no free lunch" comes to mind. And the argument that these people contribute to the Thai economy in other ways, well, so does everyone else.

They might well continue to do so, by staying in Thailand 179 days, or getting an LTR visa. BTW, I haven't paid one cent of income tax since 1991, but this didn't give me a free lunch as I have paid millions in VAT and local taxes.

2 minutes ago, tandor said:

you will find Immigration Dept. may refuse your Annual Extension unless you provide your Taxation Identification Number. (This was mentioned to a couple of us who registered recently at the TRD). 

PS. Don't shoot the Messenger.

No problem at all for me!

back to 12 month ME visa from Laos.

bob.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1