Thailand Visa Exemption (60 days) and Visa On Arrival (VOA) (15 days)

2 hours ago, raz0r21 said:

There is some conflicting information in this thread. I will try my best to summarize:

• Some Visa Run companies are acting as glorified taxis for land border runs, and not "full service" packages. Please check what you get for the amount you pay. In Bangkok there are two big ones: Bangkok Buddy & Thai Visa Service. Afaik they are offering legit runs that basically guarantee your stamp, otherwise you will not even be let on the bus.
  • Some news outlets (Like TNT) are reporting that only two visa exempts per land are allowed still. They/He is using thai embassies as a guideline, who often have old or wrong information. The webpage of Thai Visa Service says "Unlimited" for 60 day stamps, and I trust them more than any YouTube channel.

I use an agency that deal with immigration in both sides, thailand and cambodia. I pay 4000 thb, everything included and they assist me to get the free 60 days stamp too. Very easy and no issues at all. Plus i can do it for unlimited times over there

Edited by Jack1988
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, raz0r21 said:

There is some conflicting information in this thread. I will try my best to summarize:

• Some Visa Run companies are acting as glorified taxis for land border runs, and not "full service" packages. Please check what you get for the amount you pay. In Bangkok there are two big ones: Bangkok Buddy & Thai Visa Service. Afaik they are offering legit runs that basically guarantee your stamp, otherwise you will not even be let on the bus.
  • Some news outlets (Like TNT) are reporting that only two visa exempts per land are allowed still. They/He is using thai embassies as a guideline, who often have old or wrong information. The webpage of Thai Visa Service says "Unlimited" for 60 day stamps, and I trust them more than any YouTube channel.

Forget about news outlets - it's better to get your information from people who do this every day, at the border.

I went to the Banpuggard border checkpoint today, where the Pattaya visa runs go. It was hectic. I had #31 minivan for the day arriving at 8:30 am. (3.5 hour trip each way). I spoke to the lady collecting the cash, and she was quite confident that it's unlimited visa-exempt entries at this point. She was counting piles of cash. They are raking it in. An additional 2000 cash is required to change from a Non-O visa to a visa-free entry stamp.  

I happened to strike up a conversation with a Russian "tourist" who has been doing border runs for over a year. They get 90 days in peak season and 60 days in the off-season (May - October). My ex-wife was there to change from a non-O visa to a 60-day stamp. She hasn't left Thailand since 2015. The officer asked her how long she had stayed in Thailand, to which she replied "long time", and he stamped her out. I don't think at this point they are too concerned with how long you have stayed and they are happy for the business.

New government - new rules.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Forget about news outlets - it's better to get your information from people who do this every day, at the border.

I went to the Banpuggard border checkpoint today, where the Pattaya visa runs go. It was hectic. I had #31 minivan for the day arriving at 8:30 am. (3.5 hour trip each way). I spoke to the lady collecting the cash, and she was quite confident that it's unlimited visa-exempt entries at this point. She was counting piles of cash. They are raking it in. An additional 2000 cash is required to change from a Non-O visa to a visa-free entry stamp.  

I happened to strike up a conversation with a Russian "tourist" who has been doing border runs for over a year. They get 90 days in peak season and 60 days in the off-season (May - October). My ex-wife was there to change from a non-O visa to a 60-day stamp. She hasn't left Thailand since 2015. The officer asked her how long she had stayed in Thailand, to which she replied "long time", and he stamped her out. I don't think at this point they are too concerned with how long you have stayed and they are happy for the business.

New government - new rules.

Thank you for posting your experience of the border run there. I'm up in north Issan and will do the Laos border crossing in August. I will see how things go and post to here when I do cross border

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, treetops said:

The MFA spokesman in this interview emphasises that the IOs at the border will still have the discretion to say no if they think you're abusing the system (living in Thailand on the "wrong" visa).  No change there then.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/the-60-days-visa-exempt-and-destination-thailand-visa-empower-immigration-officers-466938

If Thailand were a restaurant, the Public Relations equivalent of this would be: Each person who gets this treatment is the same as a customer finding an entire dead rat in their bowl of soup.  The victims talk about that experience for a LONG time, and the Internet means it doesn't need to be published in a newspaper. 

Thailand does NOT need this type of "press," if they want to try to restore the huge money flows they wrecked with "crackdowns."

If Immigration want to DEFINE how many days a person needs to stay out before returning on a Tourist entry - as economically-foolish as that is - then at least SET a SPECIFIC NUMBER of DAYS out, before returning, and quit playing this "Pssst - pay the agent, just to be sure," envelope-game. 

25 minutes ago, treetops said:

It must all be a hoax - the 60 day thing and the removal of the limits.  The UK has just updated their travel to Thailand advice and it now contains this:

image.png.ffae45b1282feef3258af95856a92be8.png

I've told gov uk their info is inaccurate on their page. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, treetops said:

It must all be a hoax - the 60 day thing and the removal of the limits.  The UK has just updated their travel to Thailand advice and it now contains this:

image.png.ffae45b1282feef3258af95856a92be8.png

I have a UK friend, been coming to Thailand 10 times a year for 10/14 days a time for 8 years no visa  (yes he is a rich bugger), never been even questioned at swampy.

His passport is just rows of entries and exit stamps

• Like 1

I see they've dropped the bank statement requirement from the Tourist visa. 

Don't know why they bothered as you get exactly the same on free visa exempt entry as you do on SETV or METV. 

Screenshot_20240809_110510_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the requirements or restrictions on using a visa exemption twice in a year. I thought it was quite straightforward, but I keep finding information about people being refused entry, and restrictions for 90 days within 180 etc. Not sure if the rules have changed because of the new 60 day exemption but I'm starting to get a bit worried because I am leaving on Wednesday so have no time to get a tourist visa and I already used a 30 day exemption with a 30 day extension in March. So I have had 60 days already on an exemption earlier this year, then went back to the UK for 2 months, now I'm going again and hoping to get entry on my 2nd exemption this year, this time for 60 days. I should have known better and got a tourist visa for peace of mind, but it's a bit late for that now! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

4 hours ago, CK1980 said:

So I have had 60 days already on an exemption earlier this year, then went back to the UK for 2 months, now I'm going again and hoping to get entry on my 2nd exemption this year, this time for 60 days

Two VE's in calender year is usually ok. Two months in UK usually negates any back to back concerns. MFA spokesperson has stated in youtube interview that 60 day VE is unlimited ( only 1 for you this far).........but in TIT nothing is guaranteed.

Thanks for the reply. It's what I thought which is why I didn't get a tourist visa, but in hindsight I wish I had to save the stress, as you say, in TIT nothing is guaranteed! I guess the moral is to cover yourself and get a visa before you leave to avoid the uncertainty. Hopefully I get a decent immigration officer at Bangkok and get in. My main concern is about this 90 in 180 day rule which seems to be a since abolished rule but with reports of immigration officers still using it as a means to deny entry. 90 in 180 days would make no sense with the current 2x 60 day plus 1 extension VE per year. You would think it would be advertised as 1 VE per 6 months rather than 2 per year if this rule was in effect. But expecting things to make sense with rules in Thailand is never wise! The other concern I have is that I also have 29 days on a tourist visa from early this year. The trip (and TV entrance stamp) was last December so in the last calendar year, but I didn't leave Thailand until January 29th so technically have another 29 days added to the total amount of days spent in Thailand this year, although this was on a TV so I would hope it does not count towards the VE allowance if there is one... So in total I have had 88 days this year (29 on a TV and 59 on VE). I really hope this does not give more reason to be denied entry. I guess I'll find out soon! Thanks for the help.  

Edited by CK1980

8 hours ago, CK1980 said:

So in total I have had 88 days this year (29 on a TV and 59 on VE). I really hope this does not give more reason to be denied entry.

IMHO you should be ok with your recent history. Only two VE's in 2024 is what IO needs to assess and this one will be only your first 60 day VE. Usually if IO has "discretionary concerns" will advise you to get a visa next time which you may even suggest if grilled.

Thanks both of you for the info. You've lowered my anxiety levels somewhat! 😬 I really wish I'd looked in to this sooner and paid for a TV, but anyhow hopefully I get in! Have a great week, cheers! 

What about if I came into the country twice in a row already on a 30 day exemption and now want to get in on the new 60 day exemption? I've spent 10 days or so out of the country each time. I think the consensus seems to be that I'll probably be able to get in, and that land borders are actually easier at the moment, but should I go out of my way to apply for an actual visa just in case?

I'd honestly buy a Tourist Visa mate, it's £30 well spent for the peace of mind. The immigration officers can use discretion and there are plenty of stories of them making up the rules as they go. Like the 90 in 180 day rule that I am worried about, I think this used to be a rule but there are reports of it still being used to deny entry. The official line now is that you can use 2 VE's per year, so I'd be very cautious of trying to get in on a 3rd one regardless of previous ones being only 30 days. Getting a TV in advance will save you so much stress, I wish I'd done it. It's not worth the gamble for the sake of £30 IMHO.

Thanks, CK. It's going to be a bit difficult to get the visa as I have left Phnom Penh and was going to make my way to a land border. The three working days required would also be a problem. It does seem like the safest option. Someone else recommended me trying the land border. Does anyone else have an opinion? I will sort out long term visa options soon, but I need to be a tourist for a while longer.

37 minutes ago, mark333 said:

What about if I came into the country twice in a row already on a 30 day exemption and now want to get in on the new 60 day exemption? I've spent 10 days or so out of the country each time. I think the consensus seems to be that I'll probably be able to get in, and that land borders are actually easier at the moment, but should I go out of my way to apply for an actual visa just in case?

Use an agent border-run service by land and no problem - there is no longer a limit.  The agent will let you know if there would be a problem, but we have many reports of folks with two back-to-back 30-day + 30-day-extended Visa-Exempts able to get a 3rd Visa-Exempt entry for 60 days now.

If one uses the Airports, that is another thing.  I never would, unless I only rarely came to Thailand - OR, I would pay an agent-service which facilitates entering by air, which allows back-to-back Visa-Exempt by air. 

18 hours ago, CK1980 said:

My main concern is about this 90 in 180 day rule which seems to be a since abolished rule but with reports of immigration officers still using it as a means to deny entry.

If IOs want to force you to pay their agent to enter trouble-free, they will make up all sorts of things like this.  The stamp they put in the passport of someone denied-entry, however, is "Didn't have the money" - because there is no legal reason to deny-entry based on "in Thailand too much/often."

15 minutes ago, CK1980 said:

I'd honestly buy a Tourist Visa mate, it's £30 well spent for the peace of mind. The immigration officers can use discretion and there are plenty of stories of them making up the rules as they go. Like the 90 in 180 day rule that I am worried about, I think this used to be a rule but there are reports of it still being used to deny entry. The official line now is that you can use 2 VE's per year, so I'd be very cautious of trying to get in on a 3rd one regardless of previous ones being only 30 days. Getting a TV in advance will save you so much stress, I wish I'd done it. It's not worth the gamble for the sake of £30 IMHO.

They deny people with Tourist Visas also, if they think you are here "enough / often" to force you to pay their agent to get in. 

And, no, there is no "official line" that you can only use 2 VEs per-year. 

Yes good point, even a TV doesn't guarantee anything. When I say 'official' line, I mean the information coming from the Thai Embassy in London, who I called and they confirmed that you are allowed 2 VE's per calendar year. That is about as official as you are going to get but it doesn't really mean anything as the 'IO discretion' policy covers them for making the rules up as they go when you get to immigration. I guess it's always going to be a bit of a lottery if you are entering Thailand multiple times in a year, regardless of what visa 'rules' are in place....

Edited by CK1980

Thanks. Maybe next time I'll use a border run company, even though I'm quite happy to spend a couple of weeks travelling elsewhere, which should actually show I'm more of a tourist. Since I'm in Cambodia now, are there any agents here I can talk to? I guess otherwise I'll head to the border of getting a visa only slightly improves my odds. But since my passport is running out of pages, I really need to get into Thailand so I can apply for a new one. And I'd rather not fill up more pages with visas. Thanks again.

11 minutes ago, mark333 said:

Thanks. Maybe next time I'll use a border run company, even though I'm quite happy to spend a couple of weeks travelling elsewhere, which should actually show I'm more of a tourist. Since I'm in Cambodia now, are there any agents here I can talk to? I guess otherwise I'll head to the border of getting a visa only slightly improves my odds. But since my passport is running out of pages, I really need to get into Thailand so I can apply for a new one. And I'd rather not fill up more pages with visas. Thanks again.

I don't know if "Lucky Lucky Motorcycle Shop" still does Thai visas in Phnom Penh - were the best in the old days.  But, it will not save you that big Visa sticker eating a full passport-page.  The only way to avoid that is coming in Visa-Exempt. 

The best thing about entering by land, if you were refused, you just walk back and cancel your exit-stamp - no detention at the airports, etc - then try another entry-point.  The exception is Poipet, where they actually put a refused-entry in the computer and on your passport.

13 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

I don't know if "Lucky Lucky Motorcycle Shop" still does Thai visas in Phnom Penh - were the best in the old days.  But, it will not save you that big Visa sticker eating a full passport-page.  The only way to avoid that is coming in Visa-Exempt. 

The best thing about entering by land, if you were refused, you just walk back and cancel your exit-stamp - no detention at the airports, etc - then try another entry-point.  The exception is Poipet, where they actually put a refused-entry in the computer and on your passport.

Cina travel street 130 near riverside
thai tourist visa 4-5 days $60

• Like 1

On 8/12/2024 at 5:45 AM, CK1980 said:

Yes good point, even a TV doesn't guarantee anything. When I say 'official' line, I mean the information coming from the Thai Embassy in London, who I called and they confirmed that you are allowed 2 VE's per calendar year. That is about as official as you are going to get but it doesn't really mean anything as the 'IO discretion' policy covers them for making the rules up as they go when you get to immigration. I guess it's always going to be a bit of a lottery if you are entering Thailand multiple times in a year, regardless of what visa 'rules' are in place....

Per calendar year? or per 12 months? big difference...

Hi all.

Read through this thread but didn't find the answers... I have always come to Thailand on a 60 day SETV and extended by 30 days.

Is it just a case of now buying my return flight and turn up at the airport ?

Do i need any of the old documents with me that would have been uploaded to the Thai Visa site, like rental agreement etc ?