5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

2 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

You seem so sure about this as well, that it has to applied for outside of the country. Can you give me a source? I mean, it sounds plausible but a confirmation would be nice.

No I clearly use the conditional in my sentence. Nothing sure. Just an educated guess. I would be highly surprised this kind of visa would be available in any embassy while the METV would be available only in the home country. 

5 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

You seem so sure about this as well, that it has to applied for outside of the country. Can you give me a source? I mean, it sounds plausible but a confirmation would be nice.

Other than the Elite visa, name any other valid visa you can apply for to enter Thailand from within Thailand.

20 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Visas cannot be extended, only periods of stay are extended.

It's advertised as a multiple entry visa, valid for 5 years.

It's the details on the periods of stay we're waiting for.

I think what he means is can you get this visa over and over again during those 5 years.

If so, then many have wasted big money on the elite visa.

2 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I think what he means is can you get this visa over and over again during those 5 years.

The MFA announced it as a 5 year multi entry visa, meaning you can enter multiple times within the 5 year validity of the visa.

12 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

If so, then many have wasted big money on the elite visa.

They completely killed the Thai Elite visa last year with the double/triple price + the new tax law.

The new numbers for that new Thai Privilege visa must be a disaster.

Need to wait the details though as that Thai Destination visa seems a bit too good to be true. At least a clear 180 days period would solve the tax headache for many.

• Agree 1

On 5/30/2024 at 10:06 AM, Liquorice said:

Where exactly does it state each entry permits a stay of a further 180 days.

What would be the purpose of the one time 180 day extension if you can simply re-enter to get a further 180 days.

My interpretation is you will be granted permission of stay for 180 days in one year.
Like extensions, if you re-enter, you will be granted permission of stay until the original POS date.

An extension means you don't have the inconvenience of leaving the country.

• Agree 1

On 5/30/2024 at 9:59 AM, solidad90 said:

i think you're correct. It makes no sense to have the right to extend once in 5 years.

I thought it was a multi entry visa but the max stay in any one year was 180 days. But you could extend once within that 5 year period if you can show a reason.

On 5/30/2024 at 4:01 AM, MarkBR said:

If this is true then it would be good.  However, the devil is always in the details.  We need to see the final changes passed into law to know whether such a potentially good thing will actually happen.

Indeed, like many other proposals, too many premature interpretations.

On 5/30/2024 at 6:00 AM, BritManToo said:

Looks good, might be an alternative to a retirement VISA/extension.

Stay 180 days, extend once (assuming 1,900bht), border hop, rinse and repeat.

Averaging 3,900bht/year.

Around the same cost as a retirement extension with multi re-entry, but 300kbht less in the bank required.

What's the betting that it won't be as simple as that? If they notice a lot of the retiree's changing to the DTV they will probably make changes that won't be to their advantage.

On 5/30/2024 at 8:38 AM, Liquorice said:

I think you've misunderstood.

You can only extend for 180 days once during the 5-year validity of the visa.

Yes I knew it would be to good to be true, Those running Thailand will never do anything positive involving retiree's.

On 5/30/2024 at 7:35 AM, zzzzz said:

so more than a re extension using an agent in Pattaya (which  u  dont need show Baht in Bank) 
guess its good for under 50 year olds
BUT
wonder how many digital nomads in their 20-30's have 500,000 ( $13,500 gi ve or take a bit)  just sitting around and so far we dont knowif that needs be in a thai bank

wow a 6 month music festival  >>>>:-)

"we dont knowif that needs be in a thai bank".  You can bet it will.

On 5/30/2024 at 9:13 AM, Caldera said:

Without knowing all the details, it's hard to tell if this visa will be yet another failure (just like the SMART and LTR visas before) or finally a success story.

At this point, it's not even clear where you can apply for this visa and where those 500,000 baht financials have to be shown and kept. That in itself could make or break this visa.

Eagerly awaiting more details!

Success stories and Thai governments do not go together.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What's the betting that it won't be as simple as that? If they notice a lot of the retiree's changing to the DTV they will probably make changes that won't be to their advantage.

Ministry of foreign affairs keeps VISA money. Immigration keeps extension money.

You have 2 different departments at war with each other, so all bets are equally valid.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I think a lot of people are delusional about what this visa is.

People think they can just keep renewing it indefinitely and just leave Thailand 5 days a year.

It's for digital nomads, and by definition, nomads do not stay in one place permanently.

It wont be suitable for retirees. 

Right. I saw different versions of that visa on different websites. So we need to wait all the details.

I quite like the version where you have a maximum of 180 days/years during 5 years. It would limit visa runs without triggering the tax residency. It would make sense if it was different from a full year residency.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I think a lot of people are delusional about what this visa is.

People think they can just keep renewing it indefinitely and just leave Thailand 5 days a year.

It's for digital nomads, and by definition, nomads do not stay in one place permanently.

It wont be suitable for retirees. 

DTV/overseas tax/cannabis criminalisation/10,000bht free/60 day waiver on entry. The Thai government is great at announcing stuff it wants to do, but never gets around to doing it.

It's pointless to worry about anything they say until after they do it. Best not to think/worry/speculate too much on their wish lists.

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's pointless to worry about anything they say until after they do it. Best not to think/worry/speculate too much on their wish lists.

thai govt isn't much different than a woman

you think you have her all figured out, but you have no idea what she's thinking

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/30/2024 at 4:57 AM, Pattaya57 said:

- get 30 day extension - 1900 baht

- do border run - approx 3500 baht

- get 30 day extension - 1900 baht

So your plan is to waste 3 days of your life doing this to save 3000 baht? I don't need DTV, but for someone planning on spending a lot of time in Thailand it's much better than visa runs and extensions. I've done the exemptions+extensions+trips route before, you spend so much time, energy, and money planning around all of that it's draining - much better having the peace of mind of a longer stay visa.

On 5/29/2024 at 11:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The image does appear to have originated with the MFA... I'm  finding one version of it on the Thai Embassy New Delhi website, but with no further explanation/clarification there:

https://newdelhi.thaiembassy.org/en/content/new-thailand-s-visa-measures?cate=614489badd57933bb40edbf2

new_visa_measures-29-05-2024.thumb.jpg.b73e881367cdec0ba08918e1b0cae08b.jpg

Thailand's New Visa Measures

วันที่นำเข้าข้อมูล 29 May 2024

วันที่ปรับปรุงข้อมูล 29 May 2024

| 291 view

On 28 May 2024, the Cabinet approved the new visa measures for promoting tourism sector and boosting the economy, namely:

1. Visa Exemption (60 days) for 93 countries/territories
2. Visa on arrival (VoA) for 31 countries/territories
3. The Destination Thailand Visa (DTV)

Note: the effective date will be announced upon the completion of final procedures. 

8 more pages on this post and still more questions than firm answers.....not exactly a smooth "rollout"

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 9:11 AM, Liquorice said:

Other than the Elite visa, name any other valid visa you can apply for to enter Thailand from within Thailand.

The retirement visa.  There is one that you can apply for outside of the country and one you can apply for inside.  Saying "to enter Thailand" is irrelevant when you are already in Thailand.  In that case it would be used to re-enter.  

Edited by shdmn

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

The retirement visa. 

No such visa type exists.

3 minutes ago, shdmn said:

There is one that you can apply for outside of the country and one you can apply for inside. 

You can apply to change ones Immigration status inside Thailand, but not a visa per se.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

You can apply to change ones Immigration status inside Thailand, but not a visa per se.

You're totally winning the internet bro.  :whistling:

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/thailand-visa.php

Applying for a Retirement Visa Thailand. 
You will have to apply to acquire a Thailand Retirement Visa. As an applicant, you have the choice to apply either inside Thailand or from abroad.

Edited by shdmn

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Pedantic or what? I'm currently on a non-imm O retirement visa that I applied for on the World wide Thai  e-visa site advertised as follows so please tell us again how a Thai Retirement Visa doesn't exist?

Screenshot_20240608_010325_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240608_010345_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Pattaya57

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

The retirement visa.  There is one that you can apply for outside of the country and one you can apply for inside.  Saying "to enter Thailand" is irrelevant when you are already in Thailand.  In that case it would be used to re-enter.  

When you do a conversion to a Non-IMM O inside Thailand your old Visa/Permission to Stay is cancelled & you are "Stamped-in" on your new visa as if you were entering Thailand and the Single 90 day Non-IMM O that you converted is immediately marked as used.  You cannot "Re-enter" on that Visa/Permission to Stay unless you get a Re-Entry Permit.