5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

2 hours ago, dick turpin said:

You talking about the video posted on here

two days ago.....try and keep up.

Well maybe others missed it as I did in 31 pages of this thread, and people are still asking questions about it

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, sallecc said:

Yep, I was replying to a guy asking about KL embassy DTV info.

At the moment Cambodia and Laos are good to go, there are positive reports as well.

My current visa is good until October, I'll contact KL and HK to see if non-residents get DTV there, if not then off to Cambodia or Laos (hopefully they will not change it in the meantime).

I have also sent them an email but didn't receive any response yet.

Edited by racket

7 hours ago, sallecc said:

Yep, I was replying to a guy asking about KL embassy DTV info.

At the moment Cambodia and Laos are good to go, there are positive reports as well.

My current visa is good until October, I'll contact KL and HK to see if non-residents get DTV there, if not then off to Cambodia or Laos (hopefully they will not change it in the meantime).

Do you know anyone who has been successful getting a DTV in Laos and Cambodia? 

5 hours ago, Seppius said:

From the horse's mouth, sounds perfect for some people, really excellent t video from RW4U, ends all the debate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfy6zvvekkE

Interesting how these two were fondling each other.

And no mention of the new tax situation, which makes longer stays totally unattractive. I doubt only long term begpackers will extent their initial 180 days. Anyone sensible would use this visa to stay 179 days per calendar year, for which it looks perfect.

3 hours ago, Sumiyoshicho said:

Do you know anyone who has been successful getting a DTV in Laos and Cambodia? 

There were success reports on FB, and also here on AN guy posted a picture of DTV visa (sticker) issued in Cambodia 🙂

• Agree 1

typically, for a DTV, if one applied today, what is the validity if approved, and/or make 1st entry by what date? 

is it 5 years from the entry or more likely 5 years from approval date, no matter when 1st entry is?

13 minutes ago, sallecc said:

There were success reports on FB, and also here on AN guy posted a picture of DTV visa (sticker) issued in Cambodia 🙂

I would not want to get that just because it takes up a whole page in the passport.  Even though I have the extended page passport it's almost all filled up, even with covid where I didn't go anywhere for 2 years.  Part of the reason is those stupid Cambodia visa stickers that take up a whole page each time you go there.  If you were to get this as well that would be two full pages used up.

Edited by shdmn

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

And no mention of the new tax situation, which makes longer stays totally unattractive. I doubt only long term begpackers will extent their initial 180 days. Anyone sensible would use this visa to stay 179 days per calendar year, for which it looks perfect.

I guess if your income isn't taxed in your home-country or no dual-tax treaty with Thailand, it could be a significant problem.  Otherwise, just means filling out a tax form here, to stay fully compliant.

8 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

I guess if your income isn't taxed in your home-country or no dual-tax treaty with Thailand, it could be a significant problem.  Otherwise, just means filling out a tax form here, to stay fully compliant.

It's just another thing to deal with on top of all the other BS paperwork and hoops Thailand is making us jump through.  That is the part I don't like. I am supposed to be retired and enjoying life.  Not filling out paperwork and tax forms.  Even if I pay someone else to do that for me it's still just another thing I have to deal with one way or another.  Individually, these things are not that big a deal, but collectively it is becoming a PiTA.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

We are talking about distance workers and digital nomads here...

14 hours ago, khlongtoey said:

typically, for a DTV, if one applied today, what is the validity if approved, and/or make 1st entry by what date? 

is it 5 years from the entry or more likely 5 years from approval date, no matter when 1st entry is?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess It's like all Thai visas, from the first stamp into the country, or else it would not make sense

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

We are talking about distance workers and digital nomads here...

There is no exception to the 180-day tax-rule for them with the DTV - any more than someone with dividend-earnings on a retirement-based annual visa/extension. 

Let's say you get a remote job which pays 4000 Dollars. Do you think the consulates will accept this as satisfying the "500,000" requirement, or do you think you literally have to have 500,000 saved in a bank account for the DTV visa?

2 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Let's say you get a remote job which pays 4000 Dollars. Do you think the consulates will accept this as satisfying the "500,000" requirement, or do you think you literally have to have 500,000 saved in a bank account for the DTV visa?

You need 500,000 baht in the bank.

• Agree 1

So I am applying for DTV this week (Laos) and wondering how I should prove I am a freelancer working remote. I now have a printout of the Dutch Chamber of Commerce proving I have a business and I have a printout of my website. I am a projectmanager so I do not have a portfolio, not sure how else to prove it... Anyone has a better idea how this should work? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Karma80 said:

The DTV is a tourist-class visa introduced as an emergency measure to stimulate the economy.

it's the strangest visa out there i've seen. no other country seems to be combining cooking class options with remote work options.

asked the embassy a follow up question. what is the minimum hours per week for cooking classes required to get the DTV?

no matter if or what they respond, i'm not convinced the I/O guys will be on the same page and not flag people down. 

it's probably safer to use the freelancer option for long-term. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

it's the strangest visa out there i've seen. no other country seems to be combining cooking class options with remote work options.

asked the embassy a follow up question. what is the minimum hours per week for cooking classes required to get the DTV?

no matter if or what they respond, i'm not convinced the I/O guys will be on the same page and not flag people down. 

it's probably safer to use the freelancer option for long-term. 

It will make absolutely no difference once the visa is granted.

When you have it, it'll be a 180 day stamp on entry no questions asked, regardless of the purpose being workcation, soft power or dependent.

The only time the purpose will be evaluated is on application, and possibly extension. Not on entry. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mark987 said:

So I am applying for DTV this week (Laos) and wondering how I should prove I am a freelancer working remote. I now have a printout of the Dutch Chamber of Commerce proving I have a business and I have a printout of my website. I am a projectmanager so I do not have a portfolio, not sure how else to prove it... Anyone has a better idea how this should work? 

Your contracts with clients, receipts of their payments.

34 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

The only time the purpose will be evaluated is on application, and possibly extension. Not on entry. 

How can you be so sure about this?

With the METV, there were checks at reentry whether you are really a tourist, as the visa requires. 

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Lorry said:

How can you be so sure about this?

With the METV, there were checks at reentry whether you are really a tourist, as the visa requires. 

Apart from the statements by MFA confirming there'll be nothing visa related for the DTV checked on entry , I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

The purpose of these current visa launches and the relaxations coming later in the year and next year, are to make it easier to stay longer in Thailand , for more people. Not to make it harder. 

2 hours ago, Mark987 said:

Just started to help a friend try to get one, he works 6 weeks on and 6 off rotation in the Middle East, UK passport, long term condo rental here, financial side is no problem, be interesting for others in the offshore industry to see if gets it

I did pop into a well-known Pattaya agent today, they are not handling DTVs, but she advised to get outside Thailand

I am thinking 3 months bank statements, and he has a good letter from one of the major oil company

For digital nomad/remote worker/foreign talent/freelancer
Additional Required Documents
  • Document indicating current location
  • Financial evidence: amount of no less than ฿500,000, e.g. bank statements, payslips, sponsorship letter
  • Employment contract or employment certificate in their country or professional portfolio showcasing digital nomad, remote worker, foreign talent or freelancer status

10 minutes ago, Seppius said:

...I am thinking 3 months bank statements, and he has a good letter from one of the major oil company...

If the letter from from your friend's employer states that he is working for the company online, that should satisfy the requirement for "remote worker"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Maestro said:

If the letter from from your friend's employer states that he is working for the company online, that should satisfy the requirement for "remote worker"

Thanks, i think he could arrange something like that