5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

Not that it looks hard to get, for just about anyone, on their own, but consider:

Once the agents familiarise themselves with the process, I expect we'll see "guaranteed approval or your money back"  DTVs issued, en masse. 

Additional fee sure, but convenient. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Laos and Cambodia offer evisas. NO FULL Page visa only a entry/exit stamp

so ........

When I went through the land border using one of the border run van services they put that huge sticker in our passports that takes up a whole page.  Not sure about eVisa but when I got the visa at the airport on arrival in PP several years ago they also put that huge sticker in my passport.

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

When I went through the land border using one of the border run van services they put that huge sticker in our passports that takes up a whole page.  Not sure about eVisa but when I got the visa at the airport on arrival in PP several years ago they also put that huge sticker in my passport.

The eVisa is only accepted at certain border-crossings, and I do not know if any of the border-run van services use those.  Certainly not Aranyaprathet/Poipet - maybe Trat's Hat Lek / Koh Kong, but I don't recall a report of such.

got a response from the embassy.

no minimum weekly hours required if signing up for cooking classes and applying for the soft power option.

so literally one hour per week or even one hour per month should do the trick if you can arrange it with the school? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

got a response from the embassy.

no minimum weekly hours required if signing up for cooking classes and applying for the soft power option.

so literally one hour per week or even one hour per month should do the trick if you can arrange it with the school? 

It wouldn't even need to be that. You could sign up for a 2 day cooking course.

There's no requirement for it to be for a certain duration or ongoing over the visa period. 

Some embassies are making up rules on this, but just think of "soft power" as "certain thai 'tourist' activities with a document".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anrcaccount said:

It wouldn't even need to be that. You could sign up for a 2 day cooking course.

There's no requirement for it to be for a certain duration or ongoing over the visa period. 

Some embassies are making up rules on this, but just think of "soft power" as "certain thai 'tourist' activities with a document".

In the previous email, they told me it had to be a minimum duration of 3 months. It's even possible that a different person from the embassy responded this time with a different answer. 

Embassy seems to be making up rules and that's why it could be problematic.

Other embassies will make up different rules. You will need to ask the embassy where you're applying. 

And how is this information being transmitted to I/Os? It isn't. So for extensions, you will need to wait to get first hand accounts of what I/Os are demanding. 

You need to follow instructions of the embassy to get the DTV in the first place. Then you will need to learn what I/Os are asking for, which will likely be different, in order to get extensions. This is my understanding.

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, shdmn said:

so?   those are NOT evisas which are applied for online and cost a bit more

where accepted:
POI PET  YES
Koh Kong  YES
https://www.cambodiagovisas.com/border-crossing

Edited by zzzzz

32 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

In the previous email, they told me it had to be a minimum duration of 3 months. It's even possible that a different person from the embassy responded this time with a different answer. 

Embassy seems to be making up rules and that's why it could be problematic.

Other embassies will make up different rules. You will need to ask the embassy where you're applying. 

And how is this information being transmitted to I/Os? It isn't. So for extensions, you will need to wait to get first hand accounts of what I/Os are demanding. 

You need to follow instructions of the embassy to get the DTV in the first place. Then you will need to learn what I/Os are asking for, which will likely be different, in order to get extensions. This is my understanding.

Yes, well stated.

But remember once you have the visa, IOs will not check on entry, only on extensions, which aren't required if you leave / re enter every 6 months. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

But remember once you have the visa, IOs will not check on entry, only on extensions, which aren't required if you leave / re enter every 6 months. 

sorry, i didnt read all your previous posts.

you dont define leaving and re-entering as an "extension"? 

18 hours ago, save the frogs said:

it's the strangest visa out there i've seen. no other country seems to be combining cooking class options with remote work options.

other countrys   make it much easier, for example 5 Year TR Visa .. no financial requirments , many question  ,but once  aplly by internet ,on arrival receive 5 year visa valid per year up to 180 days  FEE 80 USD ....very easy ( i have it bcs sometime in india for some reason--really not preferd country aehhh)

type of visa really wolud make sense for thailand ... and  ist only 180/360days and you cant stay longer !! or process at immigration long stay

so they make sure ts tourists who not stay longer than 180 days

19 hours ago, Mark987 said:

So I am applying for DTV this week (Laos) and wondering how I should prove I am a freelancer working remote. I now have a printout of the Dutch Chamber of Commerce proving I have a business and I have a printout of my website. I am a projectmanager so I do not have a portfolio, not sure how else to prove it... Anyone has a better idea how this should work? 

I'm waiting for clearer info on this too. I have a homepage that shows I can provide web and software development services and has a portfolio of projects I done during study etc. It's never made any money. I emailed them in Laos asking for clarification and recieved none.

1 hour ago, lapamita said:

other countrys   make it much easier, for example 5 Year TR Visa .. no financial requirments , many question  ,but once  aplly by internet ,on arrival receive 5 year visa valid per year up to 180 days  FEE 80 USD ....very easy ( i have it bcs sometime in india for some reason--really not preferd country aehhh)

type of visa really wolud make sense for thailand ... and  ist only 180/360days and you cant stay longer !! or process at immigration long stay

so they make sure ts tourists who not stay longer than 180 days

But, that would prevent roping people into paying income-tax. 

Also, I heard India were not enforcing "180 day max / year" on those visas for Americans any more?

18 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Not that it looks hard to get, for just about anyone, on their own, but consider:

Once the agents familiarise themselves with the process, I expect we'll see "guaranteed approval or your money back"  DTVs issued, en masse. 

That's what I was thinking, went to the popular agent in Pattaya soi 13, girl on the desk did not even know what I was talking about, but one of the managers overheard, and told me they are not doing them, but I think they will as the months go on, makes sense. I think this will become a very popular visa, as it seems easy to get

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

And how are agents going to do that when you can't apply for the DTV from within Thailand and you have to be the one actually applying for DTV e-visa from your current country of residence (or actually go to Laos or Cambodia to apply in person)

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

And how are agents going to do that when you can't apply for the DTV from within Thailand and you have to be the one actually applying for DTV e-visa from your current country of residence (or actually go to Laos or Cambodia to apply in person)

They could book you a cooking class and provide you with documentation thereof. Or a hospital appointment.

They could provide you with a bank statement showing the required 500,000 baht.

They could organize visa runs to Vientiane to apply.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Caldera said:

They could book you a cooking class and provide you with documentation thereof. Or a hospital appointment.

They could provide you with a bank statement showing the required 500,000 baht.

They could organize visa runs to Vientiane to apply.

Why would you need an agent to book you a medical appointment or cooking class? Use google and do it yourself. Would an agent really bother for 500-1500 baht fee?

Providing a fraudulent bank statement with e-visa application can have you lose your application fee and possible future ban from Thailand

They don't do overnight visa runs to Vientiane now so that would be a new thing and likely just a taxi service as you have to apply in person at the Embassy and have weeks in advance appointments that agents are currently banned from applying for (Laos would be the same)

Edited by Pattaya57

20 hours ago, Seppius said:

Just started to help a friend try to get one, he works 6 weeks on and 6 off rotation in the Middle East, UK passport, long term condo rental here, financial side is no problem, be interesting for others in the offshore industry to see if gets it

I did pop into a well-known Pattaya agent today, they are not handling DTVs, but she advised to get outside Thailand

I am thinking 3 months bank statements, and he has a good letter from one of the major oil company

For digital nomad/remote worker/foreign talent/freelancer
Additional Required Documents
  • Document indicating current location
  • Financial evidence: amount of no less than ฿500,000, e.g. bank statements, payslips, sponsorship letter
  • Employment contract or employment certificate in their country or professional portfolio showcasing digital nomad, remote worker, foreign talent or freelancer status

I obtained a DTV from the London Embassy last week. I just sent a letter with a header/logo of a UK Limited Company that I'm a director of. I simply headed it 'Confirmation of Employment' and wrote that I was an employee of the company and then signed it myself. Short and sweet. No mention of online/remote working or any financials other than a downloaded savings statement showing more than £11k on the day of application.  The turnaround was one working day so I suspect only a cursory check is made...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Providing a fraudulent bank statement with e-visa application can have you lose your application fee and possible future ban from Thailand

I would assume agents would provide a valid bank-statement, provided by the bank and showing an accurate balance at the time it is created, as they do with their in-country extension-of-stay assistance.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I really want to try the DTV.  Been a non-o retirement visa for 5 years but this seems even less complicated.  I live on the boarder and it would add some excitement to my life.   People are saying that they don't want to risk switching from a non-o to a DTV.  What exactly is the the risk?  You lose 10k and have to apply for a new non-o is the only risk I can come up with.  Am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I really want to try the DTV.  Been a non-o retirement visa for 5 years but this seems even less complicated.  I live on the boarder and it would add some excitement to my life.   People are saying that they don't want to risk switching from a non-o to a DTV.  What exactly is the the risk?  You lose 10k and have to apply for a new non-o is the only risk I can come up with.  Am I missing something?

I don't see a risk any different to the other visa types. They may stop issuing the visa at some point but I'm sure they would not cancel visas already issued. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HauptmannUK said:

I don't see a risk any different to the other visa types. They may stop issuing the visa at some point but I'm sure they would not cancel visas already issued. 

I agree but they might add requirements.  Actually I think they will if it become popular and they determine it is being abused.  Require more proof of cooking classes attended in the past for example.   Worst case is I ditch it and go back to the non-o.  My non-o visa streak means nothing as far as I can determine.

6 minutes ago, walio said:

I work offshore. This is what I posted elsewhere, might be useful to you. 

one of the requirements was proof of current location. By that they probably mean "proof of address"

Thanks very helpful, I think will apply in UK to keep it simple

, and prove UK address, even if he is in Dubai. They are not asking for flight details, which has confused his visas in the past

My Non-O expires on November 10.  Can you apply for another visa before it expires?  I'm thinking about a quick trip to Laos and do an E-visa.  Never done an E-visa but it seems simple enough.

Tomorrow I go to Vientiane and try to get DTV, I’m an app developer, what kind of document do I need…? 

I'm not sure what is needed to prove that I'm an engineer. Should I print out the URL and screenshots of the web app? This is a completely startup project, I'm not working for a company, and the app hasn't generated any profit yet.

Edited by asia123

17 minutes ago, atpeace said:

My Non-O expires on November 10.  Can you apply for another visa before it expires?  I'm thinking about a quick trip to Laos and do an E-visa.  Never done an E-visa but it seems simple enough.

If you are on an extension-of-stay based on retirement, and leave without a re-entry permit, then your extension ends when you leave.  You could then apply for a visa at a consulate abroad.

The downsides I see are:
1) You might not get grandfathered-in to the current "money in the bank" requirements, if they make them higher in the future.

2) The MFA guy said changes to other extensions are in-progress / will come later this year.

Also, would need to do it using "Soft Power" category - otherwise would be saying you were working illegally on a retirement-based extension until now.

Personally, I won't be making the switch from my retirement-extension, as it is easy / convenient and 1900 Baht / year, and I don't know what may change next.  But, I do regret having 800K sitting there, on which I could be getting a decent ROI.  Over 5 years, with border-run costs, though?  Is it worth it?   If you travel out regularly regardless, then the border-runs aren't an issue - but I don't.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

If you are on an extension-of-stay based on retirement, and leave without a re-entry permit, then your extension ends when you leave.  You could then apply for a visa at a consulate abroad.

The downsides I see are:
1) You might not get grandfathered-in to the current "money in the bank" requirements, if they make them higher in the future.

2) The MFA guy said changes to other extensions are in-progress / will come later this year.

Ah, I think you'll find the changes will actually make it easier, along the same line of the DTV being launched.

Prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

No harm in waiting until the changes are released though, before comparing them to the DTV. Not a bad plan at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1