Swedish Man Arrested at Phuket Airport for 113 Days of Overstay

webfact

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Maybe the word "arrested" is incorrect. Normally, overstayers are pulled aside and fined, then let go (I always thought).

Not no more judging by the amount that have been arrested at Phuket airport, 

5 hours ago, impulse said:

If word got out that you could overstay without a fine, they'd have millions of overstayers.

And I'm always open to the possibility he had open warrants they wanted to look into.

I'm assuming, of course, that he was detained because he couldn't cough up the 20,000 baht on the spot. 

I'd agree with your sentiment if he had the dosh and they still took him to the cop shop just to add to his misery. (and to make him miss his flight,  $$$...) 

Yes Yes and Yes. I overstay think they can just get out of Thailand with a free card that is not justice. 

11 hours ago, Moncul said:

And if said passport is still valid.

It dose not matter if your passport is out of date/Expired - if you are returning direct,

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, tjintx said:

The double peace sign, ubiquitous in Asian pictures?

I didn't think of that one.

I'll try and remember it if I'm ever pictured by the cops or find myself being pointed at 🤣

22 hours ago, Purdey said:

Maybe the word "arrested" is incorrect. Normally, overstayers are pulled aside and fined, then let go (I always thought).

Normal procedure is that they are sent to a desk near the immigration counter where they are fined and, depending on duration of overstay,   banned from re-entering Thailand for a period of time  then allowed to fly out. It would be most unusual to take someone into custody at this point unless they were unable/unwilling to pay the fine. 

This pre-supposes that he was in fact holding a paid ticjet and trying to fly out of the country.

We do not know the details. 

• Agree 2