U.S. to Invest Millions in mRNA Bird Flu Vaccine Amid H5N1 Threat

image.png

The U.S. government is on the verge of a significant investment in mRNA vaccines to combat the H5N1 bird flu, responding to the increasing threat of the virus spreading among mammals and potentially causing a new pandemic if it jumps to humans. The Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) is reportedly close to finalizing a deal with Moderna to fund human trials for its experimental mRNA bird flu vaccine. This agreement would also include plans to stockpile millions of vaccines, contingent on successful trial outcomes, as reported by the Financial Times.

This development has been welcomed by senior officials at the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva. The H5N1 outbreak has already resulted in the deaths of millions of animals over the past two years and poses a significant risk if it spreads to humans. WHO's chief scientist, Jeremy Farrar, emphasized the importance of this investment, calling it “an important step forward.” Maria Van Kerkhove, head of the WHO's emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, praised the move as a demonstration of “active pandemic preparedness” by the U.S., especially in light of the virus's recent spread into U.S. cattle.

H5N1 has been a persistent threat for over two decades, with a human case fatality rate of 50%. It has caused thousands of human infections and more than 400 deaths, primarily among individuals who work closely with animals. Recently, the virus has surged globally, infecting millions of birds and a variety of mammals, including foxes, mink, penguins, and seals. The recent infection of cattle in the U.S. has heightened concerns among experts that the virus could mutate to efficiently spread among humans, potentially sparking another pandemic. Infections have already been confirmed in at least two U.S. farm workers, both of whom experienced mild disease.

BARDA's forthcoming investment, potentially amounting to tens of millions of dollars for Moderna, highlights the urgency of the situation. This announcement coincides with the World Health Assembly in Geneva, where global health ministers are discussing improvements in pandemic preparedness. One of the key advantages of mRNA vaccines, as seen during the Covid-19 pandemic, is their rapid and relatively straightforward production. Traditional influenza vaccines, which make up over 80% of global supply, are grown in chicken eggs—a process that can take up to six months and is particularly challenging with the H5N1 strain.

Existing vaccines from companies like GSK, Sanofi, and CSL Seqirus provide immunity to H5N1 but rely on this time-intensive egg-based method. If H5N1 begins to spread among humans, these vaccines may not be available in time to effectively counter the first wave of a pandemic. Additionally, the supply of chicken eggs could be compromised if flocks are infected and culled, further delaying vaccine production. This was a significant issue during past influenza pandemics, such as the 2009 Swine Flu outbreak, where vaccines were often delayed until after the initial waves had subsided.

Prof. Paul Kelly, Australia's chief medical officer, endorsed the U.S. initiative, emphasizing the importance of “learning the lessons of the Covid pandemic,” planning ahead for vaccine production, and diversifying vaccine development approaches. Early investment by BARDA in mRNA vaccines for H5N1 is “appropriate and wise,” he stated.

In addition to Moderna, the U.S. government is reportedly in discussions with Pfizer to support the development of its mRNA vaccine targeting H5N1, although no agreement has been finalized. Dr. Rick Bright, an immunologist and influenza expert, urged the government to consider a broader range of options. He suggested that BARDA should also explore partnerships with other companies and technologies, such as GSK and Curevac, which recently launched an H5N1 vaccine clinical trial, and other companies developing innovative delivery methods like oral capsules or skin patches.

The global spread of bird flu has affected poultry farms worldwide, including in the UK and the U.S. In the U.S., over 68 herds of dairy cattle across nine states have been infected. This year, two dairy workers—one in Texas and one in Michigan—tested positive for the virus, with the most recent case showing a mutation indicating better adaptation for human transmission. Although the WHO considers the risk to humans low, it urges countries to share information rapidly to enable real-time monitoring and ensure preparedness as the virus continues to spread.

The investment in mRNA vaccines represents a proactive measure to bolster pandemic preparedness, aiming to mitigate the potential impact of H5N1 on human populations. By leveraging the lessons learned from the Covid-19 pandemic and advancing vaccine technologies, the U.S. and its global partners are taking crucial steps to protect public health against future viral threats.

Related Topics:

Bird Flu in Cattle Should You Be Concerned?

First Human Case of Bird Flu Reported in Australia Amid New Farm Outbreak

Challenges in Developing Effective Bird Flu Vaccine Highlighted by Scientists

Unprecedented': How bird flu became an animal pandemic

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-06-01

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

8 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Will Siam Bio Science once again come to rescue Thailand from another pandemic?

If there's millions of baht to be made they'll be first in line.

so let's ignore the fact that mrna could continue to multiply, leave the site of injection and other stuff... too much money involved... congress already got free shares to promote this

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, john donson said:

so let's ignore the fact that mrna could continue to multiply, leave the site of injection and other stuff... too much money involved... congress already got free shares to promote this

Conspiracy theory

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Another sliding narrative.  First, it was going to stay at the injection site.  Then, it may get into your blood, but not into your organs.  Then, it may get into your organs, but it won't stay long or change your DNA.

Not to mention that they changed the definition of a "vaccine".  Because mRNA didn't fit into the traditional definition of a vaccine, being a snippet of genetic code.  Which, apparently, I'm not allowed to refer to as "gene therapy", despite it being exactly that.

Link?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tug said:

Wow what happened?the wife and I got the jab + all the boosters no ill affects whatsoever none just blessed health are you sickly and unhealthy?regardless it’s nice to know responsible folks are keeping an eye on the threat and taking steps to mitigate the risks 

You mean like you, your wife, and millions of people survived Covid, so it wasn't a threat at all?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/1/2024 at 3:25 PM, Srikcir said:

Will Siam Bio Science once again come to rescue Thailand from another pandemic?

I thought the Overpriced Sinovac from China was the gift that keeps on giving 

50 minutes ago, impulse said:

You mean like you, your wife, and millions of people survived Covid, so it wasn't a threat at all?

With a vaccine it wasn’t a threat , get back on your Qanon Channel 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/1/2024 at 8:45 PM, john donson said:

You ignore the fact that the virus multiplies.

On 6/2/2024 at 2:49 AM, impulse said:

Another sliding narrative.  First, it was going to stay at the injection site.  Then, it may get into your blood, but not into your organs.  Then, it may get into your organs, but it won't stay long or change your DNA.

Not to mention that they changed the definition of a "vaccine".  Because mRNA didn't fit into the traditional definition of a vaccine, being a snippet of genetic code.  Which, apparently, I'm not allowed to refer to as "gene therapy", despite it being exactly that.

You have an active fantasy life.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/2/2024 at 2:49 AM, impulse said:

Are there any vaccines that you approve?

15 hours ago, impulse said:

Better than the millions who died because they fell for the propaganda.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, impulse said:

Unfortunately there is no vaccine will cure you of your misinformation habit.

When reality hits it’s going to tough.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, impulse said:

You know what was tough?  Waking up with the left side of my face numb, losing my sense of balance and the non-stop fatigue I've had since the day after my 2nd Pfizer.  Exacerbated by the ER claims (at first) that "we don't know what's going on, but it isn't the jab".  Then years later, they admitted that they've been getting quite a few patients with the same symptoms after their jab.  Plus, all the nurses that confided in me that they see a lot of what I reported, but they're not allowed to talk about it.  That was at UTMB in Galveston.  Look up their participation in the Pfizer approval process...

Texas. That explains everything.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, impulse said:

You know what was tough?  Waking up with the left side of my face numb, losing my sense of balance and the non-stop fatigue I've had since the day after my 2nd Pfizer.  Exacerbated by the ER claims (at first) that "we don't know what's going on, but it isn't the jab".  Then years later, they admitted that they've been getting quite a few patients with the same symptoms after their jab.  Plus, all the nurses that confided in me that they see a lot of what I reported, but they're not allowed to talk about it.  That was at UTMB in Galveston.  Look up their participation in the Pfizer approval process...

Sounds terrible.

Almost on a par with a close friend dying of COVID and his two young kids left fatherless, a preventable tragedy.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Don't believe you. Your a known conspiracy theorist.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Sounds terrible.

Almost on a par with a close friend dying of COVID and his two young kids left fatherless, a preventable tragedy.

Preventable how ?

What horrible treatment on this thread of a person who has come forward courageously to talk about about being vaccine injured.  @impulse  you have my sympathies for what little that is worth.

• Thumbs Up 1