Computer expert needed.

My PC needs some work on it. It's running so slow it's ridiculous. Sometimes it just comes out of a page when I'm trying to do something else. The trouble is I have no idea what to do. I use Glary's (Free edition) but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Is there a computer expert in Pattaya who would come to my condo and sort it out? Obviously, I can't pay them (if they're an expat) but I can pay their expenses.

Or, is there a shop in Pattaya which if I take it there can sort out all the problems? I don't mean TUK.com. I bought my PC at Liberty Computers and they used to sort out my problems but they don't seem to operate the same way anymore. There was a shop near Big C that did home visits but that closed years ago.

I'm deaf (hearing aids) and would much prefer somebody at home who speaks English to explain to me what's what.

I know at some stage I will have to upgrade to 11 but my system doesn't meet the requirements so I need some advice on that as well.

Posted (edited)

Some questions

What pc is it (notebook or desktop)

How much ram do you have

What harddisk is in the pc

What is the cpu

What version of windows are you running presently.

On windows you could use piriform speccy free version, download and install it then it can be run to show most of the hardware features installed on your pc.

https://www.ccleaner.com/download

Piriform also have a free cleaner which works quite well. Just be careful what you select to clean, if you do not want to remove your personal files.

https://www.ccleaner.com/download

If it is a low spec older pc then probably windows 11 would not be suitable for that. Windows 10 should be ok for a few more years though. There are linux operating systems which would run efficiently on low spec hardware but it takes a little bit of learning and understanding.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I had a similar problem recently with my PC. It's an old HP Prodesk Mini-PC i5(Gen 6), 16GB RAM with 1TB SSD. Windows 10. 

It was so slow it would take over 5 minutes to boot up. I didn't want to reinstall Windows so I found a video on YouTube where you can do an "In Place Repair Upgrade". I didn't need any tools, just internet access that will free download a Windows image from Microsoft, then it just rewrites system files. Doesn't make any significant changes to your current setup and for me, it worked perfectly my PC now boots up in about 30 seconds. 

This repair upgrade took maybe an hour or two but if you PC is running super slow it could take longer, but it does fix any problems you have with Windows..and no, I do not recommend you upgrading to Win 11 as Win 10 is so much better until they fix all the bugs with Win 11. 

Edited by Furioso
Win 10 for the Win
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Go to your task-bar, usually on the bottom of your display and click on the "File Explorer" icon, usually a file folder.  On the left column, click "This PC"  A window with your storage drives will appear showing how much memory is being used.  If you have less than 20% remaining memory, then you need to either clean out some memory or get a larger disc drive or SSD.

You first should try the simple task of clearing "Temporary Files" which can waste a lot of memory. Easy to do.

Right click the "START" icon, bottom left., then select "SETTINGS", then select "SYSTEM"  Scroll down to "STORAGE"  The page will display a bar showing your temporary files.  If it appears you have a lot of temporary files, further down the page will be the option "CLEAN-UP RECOMMENDATIONS", click on that and follow the instructions, clearing out only the files recommended to be cleaned-out by a check mark.  Best to leave the others alone.  This should help speed your machine.

4 minutes ago, sometime said:

I always go to the computer repair shop called Pattayat2u at the back ofTukcom, near the carpark

This is good advice .....   OP,  you need to take it to this shop ....  maybe 500-1000 baht to fix it for you and update everything.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, steven100 said:

nothing is free in this world

Helpful people sometimes are.

I think the OP matter is easy to solve. I'm not in Pattaya, but if I were there, its something I would do to help and no payment would be necessary.

Edited by freeworld

1 hour ago, NativeBob said:

start from very useful app: Wise Care 365
it will clean you PC from junk files, optimize your registry and many useful features.

and it is free

The OP said that he runs Glary, which does the same as this Wise Care or C Cleaner.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

you need to go the the CMD ( command prompt )   and ' run as administrator '  

then when the command prompt opens ...  type in   '   sfc /scannow     and hit enter

let that run ...  then type in  '  DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  ' 

let that run .....    Then clean the PC with  Wise 365 app .....    then restart ...  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but if your zero computer savvy then just take it to Pattayat2u shop behind Tukcom 

Edited by steven100
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, transam said:

Needs a good clean and debug, but whenever I suggest anything here, the "experts" slag me off, yet I have had good results with other folks problems.....🤭

You can PM me if you like, I will post nothing here.........😉

Good on you mate for helping, poor guy sounds like he's at his wits end. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, roger101 said:

I must admit I've tried to follow instructions before but when it says click on this and I can't see it on the screen or I do click on it and nothing happens. Also, I'm scared of doing something wrong and Fxxxing up everything.

So tomorrow I'm going to take it to Pattaya 2u.  would prefer someone to come to my condo to fix it but I suppose I can't have everything.

Thank you to everybody who replied it's nice to think that there are some people out there who want to help.

Let us know how you get on

8 minutes ago, roger101 said:
On 6/4/2024 at 8:25 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Why can't you pay? 

Because that would mean they're working without a permit.

How would you know that but what business would that be of yours, anyway?    Would you be planning on reporting him after he'd helped you out?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, watchcat said:

If you have the windows dvd you can just reinstall windows and it'll be like new again.

don't even need that, you can download the iso, mount and do in place update repair keeping all files and apps etc
or do fresh install and lose everything and start fresh

• Thumbs Up 1