Lopburi monkey mayhem: Biker crashes over stolen durian

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-06-02-233436.jpg

A Lopburi monkey caused chaos by leaping onto a motorcycle and snatching a bag of durian, leading to the rider crashing and sustaining injuries.

The incident, captured on video, showed the monkey seizing the bag from a man riding past Phra Prang Sam Yot, resulting in the rider being bitten and requiring hospital treatment. Doctors indicated that the wounds were deep, necessitating daily injections to prevent infection.

Krissada Kamthet was identified as the injured rider. The 37 year old Thai man sustained bite wounds on his left upper arm and right knee, which were treated and bandaged by medical staff. Krissada, who works for a motor oil company, shared that he commutes past Phra Prang Sam Yot daily after work. On this particular day, he had stopped to buy a pack of durian, costing 350 baht, to enjoy with his wife at home.

Krissada narrated his ordeal, saying he had hung the durian on the left handlebar of his motorcycle. As he approached the Wisayachanchan Road intersection near the San Phra Kan shrine, traffic was congested due to an approaching train. With traffic slowing down, a large monkey from the sidewalk darted through the vehicles and jumped onto his motorcycle’s back seat.

“I knew instantly that the monkey was after the durian.”

Krissada attempted to clutch the durian bag to his chest, but the persistent monkey kept trying to snatch it even as the motorcycle moved. In the struggle, Krissada used his hand to fend off the monkey, but he was bitten on the arm, causing him to lose control and crash.

Despite the crash, the monkey successfully grabbed the durian bag and shamelessly ate it in front of Krissada.

“As a local of Lopburi, I thought I was cautious, but I still got caught off guard. I missed out on the durian and now have to deal with these injuries.”

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-01

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

Their committee that was set up to capture and relocate those monkeys seems to have stopped. One article in the news about 2 months ago hailing this and the capture between 20 to 30 monkeys. But then nothing. One would think it would not be difficult to capture more quickly given the monkeys dependence on food from the temple and in the city. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I missed out on the durian and now have to deal with these injuries.”

Just wait until you get home and meet the wife without the durian...

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The incident, captured on video, showed the monkey seizing the bag from a man riding past Phra Prang Sam Yot

But we don't get to see the video? Any links?

41 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

, we now have people here wanting to kill monkeys in addition to wanting to kill dogs

No, they're in favor of sterilization, however. But that costs money. How much you coughing up? 😄

• Agree 1

haha, would be easy in a western country... cull cull cull

now a friend of my ex, she started collecting stray cats... 1,2 ...5 now at 50

asking bf to send more money so she can buy expensive cat food

does not want to sterilize them

and keeps them in ...  a rented condo...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

No, they're in favor of sterilization, however. But that costs money. How much you coughing up? 😄

Sterilizing won't stop them stealing and biting, some sort of tazer will do the trick

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

So, we now have people here wanting to kill monkeys in addition to wanting to kill dogs. Which species comes next ?

Next Species? 
YouTubers & Social Media posters.

Yes, I suppose that includes me, but not the first time I have been in line for my opinion to be questioned!

On 6/3/2024 at 2:39 PM, snoop1130 said:

A Lopburi monkey caused chaos by leaping onto a motorcycle and snatching a bag of durian,

The monkey certainly caused a bit of a stink!

On 6/4/2024 at 1:47 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

No, they're in favor of sterilization, however. But that costs money.

And takes time during the monkeys can do what they are doing what they do now exept reproduce, causing mayhem. How long does these creatures live?