Krungsri now want passport ID

Going into my own branch for 10 years once a month to take money out. For the first time today they want passport, you need at other branches but not your own. They all know me, have passport scan on their data base but still need passport. No doubt they will be photocopying it, getting me to sign it and putting my phone number on it. No info about this change on the app and was not told last time I went in. Their explanation was they were only just told from May 2024, but the customers were not told it seems. Banks and immigration here are a real pain.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

KBank always asked me for my passport when I did counter transactions. So did Citibank, now UOB. I've had accounts with each for 7 years.

At your OWN branch of Krungsri? not Kasikorn.

Edited by proton

I have had an account with Krungsri ever since they opened on the island.

Always been asked for a copy of my passport.

My original branch knew me so well that when I forgot the passport they copied and old photocopy of it.

Since Choengmon closed, Central branch - not a chance. 3 trips to process some transactions (overseas payment) and always - passport. No exceptions.

I do not use phone apps.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

People still go to branches for basic banking? What is this, 1995?

Some do when they need to make big big withdrawals over the 20k ATM limit. I use my ATM card at any machine when I need only 20k. This is 2024, by the way... just joking...

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

1 hour ago, proton said:

to take money out.

In 1995 it was the only way. On Koh Samui, we could not even do inter branch or inter bank transfers. It was manual withdrawal and deposit.

How else can one take out a large sum of money these days, or do an overseas transfer to a French bank account in USD? (Twice a year in my case.)

Edited by Tropicalevo

39 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

How else can one take out a large sum of money these days, or do an overseas transfer to a French bank account in USD? (Twice a year in my case.)

How large is 'large' ???....     

I used DeeMoney to transfer about 500,000 baht back to the UK - that was just to get better rates, I've not actually tried transferring from my Bank in Thailand to my Bank in the UK directly - so I'm not sure if there is a limit. 

Standard procedure at banks to ask for passport, certainly should ask for it. Old bald farang all look the same so could easily go into the bank with passbook and withdraw. I like extra security measures

• Love It 1

Any precautions to minimise scams and mistakes in these days of proliferations of scams and impersonations 

fake ID and credentials in a welcome move...

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Why not? Keeps staff in jobs & branches open. Keep using cash as an alternative option. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, proton said:

Going into my own branch for 10 years once a month to take money out. For the first time today they want passport

Just curious but do you have a Thai drivers license? I moved & only visit three months a year now but before they always asked for passport & when shown my Thai license accepted that as PP# is on it

Edited by mania

The only thing that surprises me is that this is NEW. I've always taken my passport with me whenever I've had any business at any bank, and I've always had to hand it over for them to copy it.

I use their apps and machines whenever I can though, I only go to a branch when I really have to.

2 hours ago, mania said:

when shown my Thai license accepted that as PP# is on it

Keep in mind that's not the case if you renew your passport while the DL is valid.  Mine had my old passport number on it for about a year.  Then the DL expired. 

It's a case of YMMV, because a lot of us are in different situations, in different locations and different branches.  K-Bank (Kasikorn) always asked for my passport for counter transactions, at a BKK branch in a building teeming with foreign companies and employees.  But that's the only situation I can speak for.

this was the norm for Thais since 2020, it used to be that at your 'home' branch they let you make withdrawal if signature match, but since then it's ID only, and now even to use the cash deposit machine ID or card is required

14 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Old school. 

Like turn tables with vinyl LP

15 hours ago, proton said:

Banks and immigration here are a real pain.

and who is holding you hostage???? should I call the cops??? blink once for yes.....

color me shocked bitter old men moaning on this site.....is more like a therapy site for grievanced white men

maybe if you struggle to be polite they will make the exception for you as its your world--we all just live in it...

the fact that white men are becoming the minority is really driving some to the brink here

when equality to others feels like oppression to white men and their privileged lives....oh the humanity!!!

• Love It 1

15 hours ago, proton said:

... was not told last time I went in. Their explanation was they were only just told from May 2024, but the customers were not told it seems. Banks and immigration here are a real pain.

So.... did they told you yet that you need it next time you come in? 

9 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I pretty much plan on carrying my passport any time I'm doing any transaction more than buying milk at 7/11. Better safe than sorry.

I carry my passport around with me as little as possible...   'better safe than sorry'...... 

... so it remains in the safe as soon as I get home, and comes out of the safe when I travel again usually within a month or so... (either out of province or internationally).

Not wanting to start another Pink ID debate, but this is where one comes in handy... Having opened accounts with the Pink ID (and yellow house book), this is all I've needed as proof of ID when going to the bank to execute a transaction, of course, I still need to get into my safe to take out my Bank Book - in which case I may as well get my passport at the same time, but then there is the slim chance I forget it in my car or drop it etc etc... not worth the potential hassle for me.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...