DTV visa and expat tax issues (video)

I want my 7:05 back.  He didn't say anything that wasn't already known or assumed.  He just read the same thing we all read.  No new info there.

• Agree 1

We have to see how this pans out eventually. It looks like a perfect solution for my friend, who was looking for ways to stay in Thailand for 6 months without leaving Thailand. Now he gets an agent-assisted retirement visa every year. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Why nobody can read anymore?

"180 days, [..], with a 10,000 baht filing fee each time."

You go out, you come back 180 days = 10,000 THB

The full paragraph says... 

However, it is important to note that the DTV visa does NOT allow 'any' digital nomad to stay in Thailand for five years. It can be used within a five-year period for 180 days, and extended once for another 180 days, with a 10,000 baht filing fee each time.

Which I read as saying the fee is 10,000B for the Visa & another 10,000B for the extension, it doesn't say it's 10,000B for each of the 5 years of the Visa. 

I don't think there is any chance you'll be able to use it to live in Thailand permanently for 5 years, best you can hope for is you'll get 180 days & be able to extend this then get a new Visa the next year (Though as the Visa would still be valid this might cause problems) - I personally believe it's going to be a maximum of 180 days in-country per year for each of the 5 years with the ability to extend 1 of the 180 days to 360. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

The full paragraph says... 

However, it is important to note that the DTV visa does NOT allow 'any' digital nomad to stay in Thailand for five years. It can be used within a five-year period for 180 days, and extended once for another 180 days, with a 10,000 baht filing fee each time.

Which I read as saying the fee is 10,000B for the Visa & another 10,000B for the extension, it doesn't say it's 10,000B for each of the 5 years of the Visa. 

I don't think there is any chance you'll be able to use it to live in Thailand permanently for 5 years, best you can hope for is you'll get 180 days & be able to extend this then get a new Visa the next year (Though as the Visa would still be valid this might cause problems) - I personally believe it's going to be a maximum of 180 days in-country per year for each of the 5 years with the ability to extend 1 of the 180 days to 360. 

so ur only allowed to purchase the 5 year DTV  ONCE every 5 years?
and use it for a max stay of 360 days in that 5 years>

52 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

so ur only allowed to purchase the 5 year DTV  ONCE every 5 years?
and use it for a max stay of 360 days in that 5 years>

Obviously we don't know the full rules yet but as the Visa is valid for 5 years & as you cannot have 2 valid visas at the same time getting a new one would seem to be dependant upon them cancelling the existing one. 

I think you can use it for 180 days every year & an extra 180 days in one of the 5 years or for an extra 180 days after the 5 years.  

7 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

We have to see how this pans out eventually. It looks like a perfect solution for my friend, who was looking for ways to stay in Thailand for 6 months without leaving Thailand. Now he gets an agent-assisted retirement visa every year. 

From what has been said or published by government sources so far, retirement is not one of the activities that would qualify for the DTV. At present, the DTV is still a project under discussion by the government and we have to see what criteria and conditions apply if and when this type of visa gets implemented.

9 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

"stay up to 180 days per visit, on a multiple-entry basis within 5 years"

If this is gonna happen, that you can just do a border run for another 180 days after 180 days and pay 10k and this for 5 years straight, it's gonna be epic, finally a long term visa for non-boomers! Thailand will finally become the Digital Nomad Hub it wanted to be!

And someone I have the feeling this '180 days' is going to be an open secret loophole to be tax exempt and boomers can't just use it because they are married or retired and not Digital Nomads! IOs will be like 'you old, you go other visa' if they try to apply, hahaha!

It isnt tax free if you are here >180 days in the calendar year.. repeated entry or not doesnt matter.. Boomers get the LTR visas, tax free in law, unless this DTA also gets an exemption posted in the royal gazette its just as taxable as any other class if you stay here most of the year. 

Off-topic posts and the replies to them have been removed and they will continue to be removed without additional notices.

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

It isnt tax free if you are here >180 days in the calendar year.. repeated entry or not doesnt matter..

Yeah, so I thought. But why do 180 days then. It could be a loophole.

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think you can use it for 180 days every year & an extra 180 days in one of the 5 years or for an extra 180 days after the 5 years. 

Let's hope it's gonna be 180 days per visit, though! 🥰

"With the Destination Thailand Visa, you are allowed to stay in Thailand for up to 180 days per visit, and the visa is valid for 5 years. It is a multiple-entry visa, allowing a period of stay up to 180 days per visit, on a multiple-entry basis within 5 years."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The current information about the visa is a bit unclear and speculative. We're doing our best to keep track and provide updates as they come.

Currently, there are two main theories on how the visa will work:

Theory 1: You get a 5-year visa that allows unlimited re-entries during this period. Each entry grants a 180-day stamp, which can be extended for another 180 days.

Theory 2: You get a 5-year visa that starts upon your first entry. It's only valid for 180 days after this initial entry, with the possibility of a one-time extension for another 180 days. You cannot apply for this visa again until the original 5-year period passes or the visa is canceled. Every re-entry would not change the original duration of the visa stamp.

Our advice is to avoid making any plans related to the DTV until the details are fully finalized, which should be within this month.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

The current information about the visa is a bit unclear and speculative. We're doing our best to keep track and provide updates as they come.

Currently, there are two main theories on how the visa will work:

Theory 1: You get a 5-year visa that allows unlimited re-entries during this period. Each entry grants a 180-day stamp, which can be extended for another 180 days.

Theory 2: You get a 5-year visa that starts upon your first entry. It's only valid for 180 days after this initial entry, with the possibility of a one-time extension for another 180 days. You cannot apply for this visa again until the original 5-year period passes or the visa is canceled. Every re-entry would not change the original duration of the visa stamp.

Our advice is to avoid making any plans related to the DTV until the details are fully finalized, which should be within this month.

In your "Theory 2" is that 180 days (+ 1 extension) over the lifetime of the Visa or 180 days for each of the 5 years that it's valid (+ a single extension to one of those stays)?

Edited by Mike Teavee

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Obviously we don't know the full rules yet but as the Visa is valid for 5 years & as you cannot have 2 valid visas at the same time getting a new one would seem to be dependant upon them cancelling the existing one. 

It's a 5-year multi-entry visa that gets you a 180-day stamp in your passport.  That is probably all there is to it. 

I would assume it will also say that you cannot use it more than once in a 360-day period, except for a one-time 180-day extension, in that 5-year period.

Edited by shdmn

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, shdmn said:

It's a 5-year multi-entry visa that gets you a 180-day stamp in your passport.  That is probably all there is to it. 

I would assume it will also say that you cannot use it more than once in a 360-day period, except for a one-time 180-day extension, in that 5-year period.

So your vote is for 180 days (+ 1 extension) over the 5 year period? 

My vote is for a 180 days each calendar year (+ max of 1 extension). 

Time will tell 🙂 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

So your vote is for 180 days (+ 1 extension) over the 5 year period? 

My vote is for a 180 days each calendar year (+ max of 1 extension). 

Time will tell 🙂 

No, I am saying exactly the same thing you are saying.

• Thumbs Up 1