Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

8 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

As an American I have had earned income while working in other countries.  At the time IRS rules allowed me to have almost $100,000 of that income exluded from US Income taxes. It is known as the exclusionary rule.  

But I think that U.S. tax provision is only applicable to people who are employed and have foreign source income, and doesn't apply at all to the retired population folks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On the plus side, if implemented sufficiently aggressively, this will clear out an awful lot of 'farang riff raff' (tm).

If so, I might actually move out there full time : )

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, yang123 said:

Double Taxation Agreements to be nixed?

The tax treaties generally say nothing about remittance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johng said:

That seems totally unworkable  crazy and unjust !

Can't wait until 2025:
Let The Games Begin - Release The Tax Hounds!!!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BigBruv said:

On the plus side, if implemented sufficiently aggressively, this will clear out an awful lot of 'farang riff raff' (tm).

If so, I might actually move out there full time : )

What about the locals??

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, connda said:

I don't think my US banks or brokerage, or my previous employers are going to share my financial information with Thailand.

🇹🇭 

Why not?

My European broker sends my figures every year

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

2. The 1 billion baht platform reference refers to their intention to tax online vendors who have that level of income...

If that is the case I am sure this is another typo mistake by BP

Million, not billion,

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Why's that? The US already taxes my worldwide income. If Thailand wants a piece of the pie, their share, per the Double Taxation Agreement, will be a credit against my US taxation. Except for a very few outlier scenarios, there will be no change in my total annual tax bill under this new policy.

Not what I would consider an outlier would be the possibility that TRD would seek to tax income earned inside a Roth account in the year of earning.  The US IRS does something similar when they ignore the 'tax exempt' status of a Canadian Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA) for Canadian expats living in the USA.  In such a situation the Canada-US DTA doesn't help because there is no Canadian tax that could be reduced by a credit for having paid US tax on that income.  US taxpayers who are tax residents in Thailand would suffer the same fate on Roth account income.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Financial support for my Thai wife and (indirectly) her entire family that ensures they won't be impoverished, at least during my lifetime... Payments to my Thai landlord. Thai VAT on everything I buy here, etc etc. Spending more at local Thai businesses (and indirectly their employees) than the average Thai citizen/family does.

So, from a Thai Govt policy maker's view ipretty much NOTHING!   🙂

They want high spending people to visit Thailand - to get them in they first have to flush out the sweaty chang/singha vest, cargo shorts and flip flop crew.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, connda said:

I don't think my US banks or brokerage, or my previous employers are going to share my financial information with Thailand.

Depending on which residency address you provided to your bank/brokerage and what the DTA between the countries of your bank/brokerage and Thailand says. Many DTAs are just in place to hide the AEOIs (Automatic Exchange Of Information).

Thailand recently applied CRS to all banks and so on which is the first step into the AEOIs in the direction of TH -> Your country. And the next step is most likely to get the AEOIs from other countries into Thailand going which means your bank/broker outside of Thailand will submit data to Thailand, automatically.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, connda said:

Now - if Thailand wishes to extend the benefits of permanent residency to me?  That would be different.  Or even better - extend a path to citizenship. 
Then 🇹🇭 Prathet thai ruam lueat nuea chat chuea thai 🇹🇭

Under the US-Thai FATCA intergovernmental agreement signed in Mar 2016 unfortunately the ground work was laid to share individual’s financial information with Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BigBruv said:

So, from a Thai Govt policy maker's view ipretty much NOTHING!   🙂

They want high spending people to visit Thailand - to get them in they first have to flush out the sweaty chang/singha vest, cargo shorts and flip flop crew.

I wouldn't know about that, since I don't -- and never have -- fit into any of those categories.

I wouldn't know about that, since I don't -- and never have -- fit into any of those categories.

Nor the 'high net worth' category they're aiming for

• Sad 1

Ya, I raised the question above of what would happen with tax-free / tax deferred earnings from accounts such as the IRA and Roth IRA accounts in the U.S., which can accrue earnings for years without being taxed by the U.S. (in the case of Roth, in perpetuity, in the case of IRAs, until you reach an age into your 70s...

Yup ,wondering the same. I think some DTAs might address how to handle IRAs, Roth’s etc but my guess is the current US Thai DTA does not. Wouldn’t have been relevant at the time it was negotiated. Maybe some tax expert can clarify.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

The tax treaties generally say nothing about remittance.

They dont need to, it is just a mechanism and rules how to treat income taxation and avoid double taxation. Taxes are based on the countries taxation laws.

Edited by freeworld