Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

That's not vaid, the default has to be that they are savings or exempt, otherwise everyone is guilty until proven innocent.

Is that a "common sense" or "hopeful" interpretation?  In that case nobody would ever file, because it would be up to RTD to track down every individual (non)taxpayer and prove tax was owed.

Tax office ladies would never ask the source of remittances if the default was savings.

This is not the legal system, it's tax bureaucracy, where everyone is assumed guilty until they prove themselves innocent.

Just now, Mike Lister said:

Jim is correct, self assessment is the only viable answer to that quandary.

Different subject entirely.

One is what the remittance is considered.

The other is whether the RTD will bother chasing small fish.

Not same-same.

Weed is illegal in many places, but police won't bother themselves with amounts under a certain limit.  Not worth their time.

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Sir corruption is not a risk in Thailand corruption is a respected institution practiced on all levels...

The ink was not even dry on this tax before everyone and their brother were figuring all ways not to pay jack....

good luck with that

18 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

A remittance is considered to be whatever the taxpayer says it is, there is no default position or automatic assumption that a remittance is one thing or the other.

I'll defer to another expert on default position.

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

That's not vaid, the default has to be that they are savings or exempt, otherwise everyone is guilty until proven innocent.

1 minute ago, CallumWK said:

Correct, they not gonna bother with those that send a few hundred thousand in a year, but those that have their pensions transferred, of course can not deny its income.

And that is where the snake is hiding in the grass. Someone who buys a property will most like remit several million in one go. So if they call him in, how he gonna proof if it is income or savings?

You will recall that I spoke with the top guy of the legal department of the revenue office, and asked him that question a few times. I'm still waiting for the answer

If somebody is silly enough to remit income, in order to buy property here, they deserve to be taxed. Only they know what it is is, savings, exempt or assessable, it's not difficult to say what it is and to prove it using statements etc. Also, same year remittances starts to be taxable January 2024, anything prior to that is taxed under the old rules or is free of Thai tax.

• Agree 1

Sooner or later as sure as God made little green apples and definitely if and when they introduce global taxation, they will ask foreign residents on visas other than transit and tourist visas to show a tax clearance certificate.  They could do this for visa renewals which would be the most logical but, since they are so damn lazy, they could also just enforce the existing regulation requiring a tax clearance certificate to leave the country.

• Confused 1

In my opinion, the system of taxing money you bring into Thailand is not "workable", so I think that in the future they will switch to a tax on global income. 

In less than six months one should at least have clear information and guidance. Therefore, if the Thai services are not concerned about it, neither am I

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, matta01 said:

In my opinion, the system of taxing money you bring into Thailand is not "workable", so I think that in the future they will switch to a tax on global income. 

In less than six months one should at least have clear information and guidance. Therefore, if the Thai services are not concerned about it, neither am I

Yeah, it is so complicated to carry out and that probably is why nothing final has been published.  They probably have as many different suggestions and solutions we have read here and elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Sooner or later as sure as God made little green apples and definitely if and when they introduce global taxation, they will ask foreign residents on visas other than transit and tourist visas to show a tax clearance certificate.  They could do this for visa renewals which would be the most logical but, since they are so damn lazy, they could also just enforce the existing regulation requiring a tax clearance certificate to leave the country.

I doubt they will go back to that old antiquated system but you never know.

If they do then I suspect it might only apply to those who are actually tax resident and stay in Thailand for the full 180 days or more per year.

It would be quite a nonsense to have people get tax clearance certificates in the first 180 days of any year unless of course they were resident in the previous year - now that would take a lot of checking and form filling.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

How many tax years does an individual have to go back to get a tax clearance certificate?   

On 7/1/2024 at 5:30 PM, JimHuaHin said:

I have been following the various threads on AN about these taxation "issues" since they were "announced" late last year.  In addition, I have sought some "clarity" by reading up on Thai taxation law(s) (only in English), which I have found excessively frustrating, as many sources (both printed and on-line) are dated from decades ago, and at times contradictory.

The Australian Taxation Office (the Australian brother/sister of the Thai Revenue Department (RD)), offers clear concise definitions and examples of "assessable", "taxable", "exempt" and "non-assessable, non-exempt" incomes on their web site; similar Thai RD definitions and examples may be found in the Thai literature.  Although there is a generally agreement of the Australian and Thai definitions, what actually constitute/comprise these definitions do not align.  Both countries have tax "allowances" and "deductions", but the nature of these allowances and deductions are very very different, both in type and magnitude (especially in the case of type of employment (professional vs non-professional vs skilled); non-employment income (shares, rental properties, etc.)).  From earlier posts, it is clear that similar situations exist in most of the countries posters lived in prior to coming to Thailand.

So when the Thai RD decides to tax your global income, then does Thai tax laws apply, and not your "homeland's" tax laws?  I suspect the former, which means (unless you have only 1-2 sources of income, such as a government old age pension and/or bank interest) one will have to keep detailed monthly records of income and tax-related expenses.

Of course, there is also the issue of "foreign tax credits".  How does this work when the tax years do not align, eg Australia 1 July - 30 June, and Thailand 1 January - 31 December?

And when does "income" become "savings"?  The month after the income is received (as a poster suggested earlier), or in the following tax year?

Does your country's DTA with Thailand offer clarity?  In the case of Australia, I found numerous "ambiguities", on which I sought clarification from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).  On some issues a degree of clarity was provided, on others an "interpretation" was offered.  Will the Thai RD provide and same clarity and "interpretation"; and what about "Somchai" or "Lek" at your local RD office, do they know anything about your country's DTA agreement?

I suppose we must wait until next year, or the next Thai government, or the 12th of never for answers.

Well IMHO now, once they decide to notify the nation of the implementation rules for this (first phase of taxation), and then 2025 rolls around and we don't really know more on how the Thai revenue dept will be operating.  They will most likely do that bit about having each person decide if they need a tax number (or they will amend he law to say that each tax resident must obtain a Thai tax id number) and then they will let us the expats either find an agent to assist them in filing the tax forms.  Some will just ignore the RD until queried about the remittances and if one claims "exemption" then one must produce documentation supporting that.  I think that there is no way they could open the gates to every Tom, Dick and Harry to start filing for a Tax ID number nor sending in online all the tax forms especially with so many different interpretations of every type of DTA, or remittances of so many different types of income.  Seeing as how they have rolled out this first phase, so haphazardly, it will probably take years before they settle down as to ''Hm this doesn't work and we are losing money" until they come up with the next phase of worldwide income taxation.  But that is BUT  TIT so...good luck to all you Tax residents.

• Thumbs Up 1

i beg to disagree. Processing tax returns with foreign rental income,  investment income and DTA tax credits all over will add complexity.

You are not obliged to bring money into Thailand in 2024.  How you are going to file a tax return? 

Proclaim something is one thing. Converting it into a "workable" system in practice is something else.

Not thinking before they start is a common mistake here

• Thanks 1