What visa to stay 175 days a year to avoid 800k deposit in bank?

With all the talk about tax on worldwide income and all the headache that may arise from it, my wife suggested staying just under 180 days a year in Thailand and not to invest or deposit any money there.  This actually sounds like a great plan not to be constantly buried in ever changing tax laws as well as having to deposit 800k bath for a 1 year visa.  What then would be the best visa to stay just under 6 months then?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You referred to 800k in OP.

Most simple option is to remain on annual extensions (retirement) using money in bank method. 

Obtain a reentry permit and limit your time spent in Thailand to whatever you want under 180days total.

imo crazy plan as you mention wife, friends etc..

Options visa wise....one would be METV.

Take a chill pill imo.

Ok, took my chill pill!  So O/A with money in the bank is still the best option then, got it thanks.

Edited by expatsoon
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, expatsoon said:

Ok, took my chill pill!  So O/A with money in the bank is still the best option then, got it thanks.

Not OA.  That has other additional requirements, one of which is not money in a Thai bank.  A non-O then an extension based on retirement is the 800k option. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, expatsoon said:

As mentioned above not a non O-A.

Extensions from a non O-A would require medical insurance if based on retirement.

If your extensions are based on marriage then insurance not required.

So to be clear...what visa did you originally have? A non O-A or non O and what are extensions based on marriage or retirement 

Probably your best bet is assuming you're 50+ is to get an O visa and extend. If you can get a double then you'll get your 175 days.

I'm doubting this can be a long term plan wo family in the mix.

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As mentioned above not a non O-A.

Extensions from a non O-A would require medical insurance if based on retirement.

If your extensions are based on marriage then insurance not required.

So to be clear...what visa did you originally have? A non O-A or non O and what are extensions based on marriage or retirement 

Sorry, never had a retirement visa in Thailand yet, just assumed it was a non O-A.

My wife of over 20 years is Thai so I guess we could do the marriage visa but the Thai

consulate here in Canada is reluctant to do it and prefers us to do the 800k in the bank

visa instead of the 400k in the bank marriage visa.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Not OA.  That has other additional requirements, one of which is not money in a Thai bank.  A non-O then an extension based on retirement is the 800k option. 

Thanks, we have to study the visa options more to remember which is which.

28 minutes ago, expatsoon said:

The whole thing does not add up.

Thinking your thread is a cover for a rant about tax issues.

In one post you refer to obtaining non immigrant visa "here in Canada".....

So are you even in Thailand.

Ways to stay in Thailand for 6 months has been covered often..

https://aseannow.com/topic/1325688-come-to-thailand-one-time-a-year-and-stay-for-6-months/

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thinking your thread is a cover for a rant about tax issues.

In one post you refer to obtaining non immigrant visa "here in Canada".....

So are you even in Thailand.

Ways to stay in Thailand for 6 months has been covered often..

https://aseannow.com/topic/1325688-come-to-thailand-one-time-a-year-and-stay-for-6-months/

Thanks for the link, very helpful.  I guess I was ranting a little because they keep changing the laws to fast, same with some visas but I'll let it be as I do not live

in Thailand yet, just setting everything up so we don't have too many surprises.  The idea was that my whole family was coming, so with the tax uncertainty, if

more and more documents are required from our home banks with signatures etc, there would be no one to do that in our home country so we would have to

fly back and forth every time which wouldn't be too much fun. That's it, no more whining!

• Confused 1

From experience, rarely does a new (silly) policy ever take effect here in LOS.

People find loopholes, people pay just a little extra, etc. and the intended (silly) policy is never ever taken seriously by anybody.

It's the same with this tax. 

IF they try to tax people bringing in their 800k for retirement, or those who want to bring in millions to buy condos, etc., IMO it will collapse the economy.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, expatsoon said:

If married use that method 

going on year 15 without a visa and always stay 6 months..one way tix as well

30 on arrival +30 ext

2 allowed border hops and there 6 months with exts

30+ext+30+ext+30+ext

have a bank here from past work and bring the cash with me...take it out when i go back home to work....albeit a few baht

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A non-immigrant O-visa and extension of annual stays based on retirement does not mean that you need to stay longer than 179 days in Thailand within a calendar year; you just need to there around time for next annual extension.

We still know too little about the the upcoming income taxation for foreign income – the last in the news is only a suggestion – but compared to many high income tax countries Thailand is not that bad a place when it comes to tax; especially if you don't have a multi million budget, which it doesn't seems like when 800k baht matters. Furthermore, if you home country – or country of income source – has a DTA (Double Taxation Agreement) with Thailand, the new income taxation might be of no concern if your financial sources are already taxed retirement pension, or already taxed other income, or proven savings from before 2024.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

A non-immigrant O-visa and extension of annual stays based on retirement does not mean that you need to stay longer than 179 days in Thailand within a calendar year; you just need to there around time for next annual extension.

We still know too little about the the upcoming income taxation for foreign income – the last in the news is only a suggestion – but compared to many high income tax countries Thailand is not that bad a place when it comes to tax; especially if you don't have a multi million budget, which it doesn't seems like when 800k baht matters. Furthermore, if you home country – or country of income source – has a DTA (Double Taxation Agreement) with Thailand, the new income taxation might be of no concern if your financial sources are already taxed retirement pension, or already taxed other income, or proven savings from before 2024.

The problem might be the anxiety and hassel caused by having to submit many documents that are hard to get hold of . Another potential issue for UK residents is income from ISA which is tax free in the UK but may not be in Th .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, expatsoon said:

With all the talk about tax on worldwide income and all the headache that may arise from it, my wife suggested staying just under 180 days a year in Thailand and not to invest or deposit any money there.  This actually sounds like a great plan not to be constantly buried in ever changing tax laws as well as having to deposit 800k bath for a 1 year visa.  What then would be the best visa to stay just under 6 months then?

I still use retirement option even I will not stay more than 180 days a year. Even if I did not have embassy letter, I would transfer 800 a year to spend when I was there, and refill for every renewal. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1