New Automated Passport Control Enhances Suvarnabhumi Airport Experience

webfact

20 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Arrivals? Where did you read that?

That comes under future plans, so don’t hold your breath.

It's quoted in the last but one paragraph. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The process involves just two steps: scanning the passport and facial recognition.

No more fingerprinting? That would be a surprise if true.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

No more fingerprinting? That would be a surprise if true.

If no more fingerprints, it is possible to give someone else with a little corresponding face your passport, I am thinking of a brother or sister, for example.
Spectacle wearers also have several options, at immigration, I have to take off my glasses, in contrast, there is no such need at automatic verification.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The process involves just two steps: scanning the passport

The US started issuing a next generation U.S. passport book in 2021. The book has new features, such as a polycarbonate data page, laser engraving, and updated artwork. TNGP%20Infographic%20No%20TSG%20link.jpg

It would be intuitive that scanning this passport will fail for identification purposes. Hopefully Immigration has tested that a scan of US passports bio page will pass..

I have found in 2022 that several Thai E-Wallet apps such as Lazada require a scan of my new passport bio page for ID and in every instance the scan was rejected because of photo "error." Ultimately, I think Lazada used scan of my Thai DL and Tax ID to open a E-Wallet account.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The US started issuing a next generation U.S. passport book in 2021. The book has new features, such as a polycarbonate data page, laser engraving, and updated artwork. TNGP%20Infographic%20No%20TSG%20link.jpg

It would be intuitive that scanning this passport will fail for identification purposes. Hopefully Immigration has tested that a scan of US passports bio page will pass..

I have found in 2022 that several Thai E-Wallet apps such as Lazada require a scan of my new passport bio page for ID and in every instance the scan was rejected because of photo "error." Ultimately, I think Lazada used scan of my Thai DL and Tax ID to open a E-Wallet account.

Somehow me thinks the software that powers all of this magical capability was not developed locally. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

The US started issuing a next generation U.S. passport book in 2021

All the information on any international passport including this one is duplicated in the bottom two lines that are there specifically for the automated scan. Except the photo of the person of course, but this one is easily detected and its location and size on the page is also standardized – the only reason they still make it in black and white.

At least it’s a minor change in the right direction. I always use the E Gates in Malaysia and Singapore and it’s such a smooth experience. 

Sure Thailand has more tourist arrivals, but you can’t keep the stone age immigration system forever.

I still don’t like the new government, still they are miles ahead of the Prayut era and try to innovate.

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kevozman1 said:

For international arrivals I don't think anything is changing, which is the real problem. Worst I have queued for departure is maybe 30 minutes. Worst queue on arrivals over an hour in a cattle grid after a long flight to be 'welcomed' by a grumpy member of staff at passport control who will barely acknowledge my existence. A far cry from arriving all those years ago in Don Mueang (when it was the main international airport) and being greeted by happy smiling staff at passport control after queuing for 30 seconds.. I can't help but be nostalgic on a regular basis thesedays. 

Times have changed, I guess...

It's a start. Departure passport control checks are the easier of the 2. Full passport control automation on arrival is a bit tricky. I think Singapore is probably the only one doing so for ALL arriving passengers.

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The UK has been issuing the same type of passports since 2020 which always fails at London Heathrow e-gates, unlike previous UK passports that were issued.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, kevozman1 said:

For international arrivals I don't think anything is changing, which is the real problem. Worst I have queued for departure is maybe 30 minutes. Worst queue on arrivals over an hour in a cattle grid after a long flight to be 'welcomed' by a grumpy member of staff at passport control who will barely acknowledge my existence. A far cry from arriving all those years ago in Don Mueang (when it was the main international airport) and being greeted by happy smiling staff at passport control after queuing for 30 seconds.. I can't help but be nostalgic on a regular basis thesedays. 

Firstly, I've often waited longer at departure immigration than arrivals and departures is time critical because you still need to make your flight and preferably not by running to the gate.

I once missed a flight at Don Muang (before the opening of Suvarnabhumi) because departure immigration processing was too slow and that was after I decided to cut the queue.

Don Muang arrivals was always very slow and the worst part was how long you'd have to circle to come in for a landing particularly for evening arrivals. It was always at least half an hour of circling before landing, unlike at Suvarnabhumi where that only happens during inclement weather.

As for friendliness of the officers - I don't recall Don Muang being any better than Suvarnabhumi. 

If you want friendly officers, go to a quiet border crossing such as Nan or Chong Sa-ngam.

Very friendly officers at both.

Busier ones such as Nong Khai and Hat Lek occasionally have chatty and friendly officers as well.

Edited by Highlandman
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

It's a start. Departure passport control checks are the easier of the 2. Full passport control automation on arrival is a bit tricky. I think Singapore is probably the only one doing so for ALL arriving passengers.

Not all arrivals. Apparently only if you've registered and from certain countries. Last year I was processed manually as I came with my family. 

I'll also get myself processed manually in the future even if I arrive on my own as I don't like this dystopian egate stuff.

Australia is the country where on departure only the infirm and disabled get to be processed manually. All others, including families with small children and babies are processed using the e-gates. If you complain, they won't flinch. You'll still be forced to use the e-gates.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

At least it’s a minor change in the right direction. I always use the E Gates in Malaysia and Singapore and it’s such a smooth experience. 

Sure Thailand has more tourist arrivals, but you can’t keep the stone age immigration system forever.

I still don’t like the new government, still they are miles ahead of the Prayut era and try to innovate.

They're doing what they've been told to do. As with other global initiatives, countries are required to meet certain goals and deadlines. 

The eventual elimination of manual passport checks is the goal and in time there will be no more passport stamps or even passports at all. It will all be biometric and dystopian. 

Sure, it might take countries like Thailand another 10 or 15 years to get there but it will happen in the not so distant future. Singapore is in the early stages of allowing passport free travel now. Already happening at land border entrances for Singaporean passport holders. Must use a QR code and register in advance.

2 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

If no more fingerprints, it is possible to give someone else with a little corresponding face your passport, I am thinking of a brother or sister, for example.
Spectacle wearers also have several options, at immigration, I have to take off my glasses, in contrast, there is no such need at automatic verification.

It's completely random. Some officers ask you to remove your glasses, others don't. Or it depends on the border. Some border crossings don't care others do.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

Can't see those of us on extensions of stay ever being able to use the arrival e-gates if and when they're ever up and running! You know what the jobsworths are like for their paperwork. We'll probably have to have our usual entry stamp with a handwritten date on it! 

I know you're being sarcastic but in actual fact, eventually all this passport and stamping stuff will become obsolete. Even Thai bureaucrats will be forced to change and of course they will do so quite quickly once they can start virtue signaling that they're the first in the world to implement some sort of new dystopian surveillance technology to "combat crime" or something.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Arrivals? Where did you read that?

That comes under future plans, so don’t hold your breath.

I read mid year for arrivals but by the time it actually happens it will probably be end of year or next year.

I understand Singapore and Hong Kong passport holders have been able to use e-gates on arrival for years now.