Confidence in Government Plummets, Public Dissatisfaction Peaks – Latest Poll

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Their primary gripe? The government's failure to deliver on election promises. Another 34.35% echoed similar sentiments, citing a lack of tangible improvements and delays in several key projects.

I'm not surprised. Many grand announcements, every week another new hub of this and that, no lack of pipe dreams, but where's the meat on the bone?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

nobody was there to fill the void

I think there was an innuendo that another coup would occur ... for the sake of national security of course.

Of course it's a slow motion train wreck that even the submissive Thais understand isn't going to conclude anytime soon. But look at the bright side: the baht is at 36.9 to the $ this morning. For a long long time a 1000 baht note cost us $33; now its barely $27. And I gotta admit, the std banks here convert CC charges at a decent approximation.

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

I think the problem is bigger than that.

PTP may have the position of PM and be called the leaders, BUT the fact that they need to keep the military and elite happy to stay in power is hurting their ability to do anything.

It will be interesting to see what happens and how long the PTP survives if the MFP is dissolved.

I think the elites have this set up so that Sethia is found guilty of ethics violations around the same time as MFP is disbanded. Then, they can withdraw from the coalition and dissolve the parliament into an election with no real party to run against them.

The only questions are going to be how long it will take for the new MFP to be formed and whether the people will accept military rule.   

I hope you're right, and this is how things have played out in the past. Thailand is better off with the military in control, rejecting the ghastly western "progressive" narrative. 

3 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

Who is surprised?

Almost 10 years of incompetent military dictatorship, which severely damaged the Thai economy.

Followed by a government NOT elected by popular vote, supported by criminal billionaire who should be in a retirement village.

Thai economy collapsing with more Thais falling into poverty; while the rich get richer.

The Prime Minister's best plan - to make Thailand the hub of everything, including the hub of hubs of hubs - vision, what vision?

And the youth of Thailand today are probably more disenchanted with the future than they have ever been.

Well said mate - this Govt did not cause the current economic crisis in Thailand - the 10 years of Junta did. Rather than swanning around all over the world doing PR stunts like TAT do - with the same net effect = zero - the Govt needed to address the endemic systemic structural problems facing Thailand.  You know - like the Head of BOT stated - 'the problems are structural'.  A 10K Baht handout and lowering interest rates aint gonna fix the inherent problems - they will give a short term boost - but 6-12 months later inflation will be rampant.

'My Fix' for what it is worth = As soon as the new Senate is appointed and the Junta appointed lackeys are removed,  MFP and Phue Thai form a coalition Government (with Srettha as PM), throw out the Junta aligned Parties currently in coalition, and start making and passing Laws to fix the inherent structural problems (including Laws currently not allowed to be changed, and Laws making any future Military coup illegal and unpardonable and punishable by death).  Do it and get things moving - and dare the Junta to implement another Coup. Just get on with it and do it. If the new Govt 'wins' and gets things changed, then international economic investments into Thailand will flow back into Thailand and thi98ngs will improve dramatically.  Thailand is extremely well positioned to be the economic powerhouse of SEAsia - which is what they were before the Coup.  Thailand is 'onside' with both the China/Russia allies and also the USA/EU allies - they are in a great position to benefit economically from being 'neutral' and to be an economic growth method for both 'sides'. 

35 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

I hope you're right, and this is how things have played out in the past. Thailand is better off with the military in control, rejecting the ghastly western "progressive" narrative. 

I am hoping that you are joking.

The biggest issue is that the young people and some of the older are finished with the military dictatorship of the elite.  

If they attempt this, it will be very bad for the country.  The people need to take back control and try to make the country more about the people than about the rich.  

Thailand needs to have a party in control that is not beholding to the rich elites and their old ideas.  The only way education and culture can flourish is if they are removed from the control button.

The military and elite are still in the education system that says that they want robots and only to train people enough to replace their parents.  There is o real concern for the country becoming a power develop skills and jobs not related to tourism/

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Thailand needs to have a party in control that is not beholding to the rich elites and their old ideas.  The only way education and culture can flourish is if they are removed from the control button.

Oh no! Another western "progressive" who wants Thailand to be just like the dystopian dump he left behind. 

In Thailand's case, the status quo is better than the place we left behind, or we wouldn't have set up shop here in the first place .... unless we're American neocolonialists that is, trying to recreate Thailand in their own image.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Progressive no  Realkist yes

The people in the last election stated that they want change.

It is coming no matter what.  

The challenge is not what the West wants but what the Thai youth see and what they want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The country really is a mess. 
The wife has owned & managed a successful medium size restaurant in a regional (non mainstream tourist) city for the last 10yrs and says currently this is easily the worst the economy has been in that period.

Prey for a massive change up at next election, I actually think it’s inevitable 

Edited by UbonEagle