British man found dead under mysterious circumstances in a public park in Chiang Mai

27695148862_f677227a0f_o_20190716093023.jpg

A 34-year-old British man, Dax Baker, was found dead in puzzling circumstances in a public park in Chiang Mai's city centre, a northern province of Thailand. An empty foil package, typically linked to drug use, was found near his body.

The local police were notified about the death at around 12.20 pm on June 9. Baker was found lifeless next to a fountain in a park close to the Somphet Fresh Market. Investigators found no signs of injury or physical attack on his body. Baker was living in a nearby condominium.

Noting the empty foil package close to Baker's body, authorities are considering the possibility of drug use. The packet is now under further investigation.

Baker's body is currently at Maharat Chiang Mai Hospital for an autopsy. It is suspected that Baker may have died from a drug overdose at the park, but this claim is still unverified until the autopsy results are available.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-10

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

So are they not supposed to do a further investigation re the "possiblity" of drug use??? Patience is part of any decent investigation.

Noting the empty foil package close to Baker's body, authorities are considering the possibility of drug use. The packet is now under further investigation.

It is suspected that Baker may have died from a drug overdose at the park, but this claim is still unverified until the autopsy results are available.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

Maybe the package wrapper was from another person that was sitting next to him. They assume a lot of things before proper investigation TIT

Sure it can be, and they will probably look for fingerprints on that one. However, it does not seem strange at all to me, that they are looking around close to him and add items that they find. After that, they say they assume, which is not definite. Seems to me, they are doing what they can to find out. It also seems to me, that it´s a sensible assumption that might be very right.

• Haha 1

Dax was an amazing and caring young man. His loss is a palpable and painful one to the many people who loved him.

Thank you to those above avoiding speculation. It's easy to speculate when someone is simply a name on a page. Dax Baker was, quite simply, one of the best.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well fellow posters, when the autopsy comes out, if one of you get the results, can you let the rest of us know?

Thanks in advance for your great knowledge so far. If this guy was ODed on some drug, oh well, his choice.

Thats all i have to say.

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

At least he went out with a nice view.

The photo could not be anywhere near Somphet Market which is beside the moat. I am not sure where the mentioned fountain is either.

5 minutes ago, placnx said:

The photo could not be anywhere near Somphet Market which is beside the moat. I am not sure where the mentioned fountain is either.

It's Nong Buak Haad Public Park, top left corner of the moat.

59 minutes ago, OneZero said:
6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's Nong Buak Haad Public Park, top left corner of the moat.

Isn't the park at the inner SW corner of the moat?

like most things ............... it depends what position one has before they comment.

but... since we are such followers of "the science  /s" ....  southwest corner would be the answer

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 9:53 AM, snoop1130 said:

They should investigate the dead person instead: stroke, heart failure etc..

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Most likely a heart attack. Post portem should reveal whether or not drug induced. RIP.

Most likely? At 34 years of age? I would go with the overdose as more likely. Might be of mistake, or for commit suicide.

• Thumbs Up 1