A deadly accident on Sukhumvit Road resulting from reckless U-turn

snoop1130

1 minute ago, johng said:

The vid seems to have been deleted  but I didn't see the black pickup doing a uturn from the left lane  he was in the right hand lane  and  13 year old kid tries to overtake   with not much room  just as  black pickup makes the turn   13 year old kid and bike bounces off the black pickup  right into the path of white pickup  coming in the opposite direction  no time to avoid a collision, ran straight over the kid.

Nope

53 minutes ago, johng said:

The vid seems to have been deleted  but I didn't see the black pickup doing a uturn from the left lane  he was in the right hand lane  and  13 year old kid tries to overtake   with not much room  just as  black pickup makes the turn   13 year old kid and bike bounces off the black pickup  right into the path of white pickup  coming in the opposite direction  no time to avoid a collision, ran straight over the kid.

The pickup should not have made this maneuver, but the kid's driving was suicidal (as many kids' is here).

23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That's how many western societies managed to curb the habit of drunk driving. Constant reminders.

Those countries made drink-driving culturally unacceptable using campaigns in the media. 

There's no way these jumped-up little Generals who have never been told no will change their behaviour. 

• Agree 1

On 6/11/2024 at 6:07 PM, AnotherOneHere said:

Complaining about 13 years old riding motorcycles is just cringe. Same as farangs that complains about street dogs,

Funny isn't it, just about every Thai I know also wants kids off bikes. Barking dogs drive my girlfriend crazy and the Pooyai baan in her village just issued the villagers with an order to take their dogs in at night.

Its actually only a small % of parents that let their kids ride underage - next time you're at the school, count the number of bikes and measure that against the number of pupils. There are responsible Thai parents and there are irresponsible Thai parents. I wonder how the parents of the deceased in this case feel about their decision now?

On the whole, I find that Thai's complain about exactly the same things as we do - its just that they've had a whole lifetime's experience of nothing changing.

Whether its common for kids to ride bikes at 13 is not the issue. They are kids, they think like kids and kids do stupid things. There's a very good reason why 13 year olds cannot legally ride a motorbike on the road in most countries. Nothing to do with being a 'local' or a foreigner.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

On the whole, I find that Thai's complain abouyt exactly the same things as we do - its just that they've had a whole lifetime's experience of nothing changing.

Totally agree....   But there is an added 'fatalistic' outlook towards safety that tends not to exist to the same extent in the West... 

... this makes Thailand more 'happy go lucky' but there is also a tragic flip side to this which we read in the media such as this. 

Repeated eduction is the huge step forwards towards a 'nationwide cultural shift' towards one of respecting safety measures.

Examples are wide spread: one that always sticks out for me is... wealthy folks turning up a private schools with kids in cars without seat-belts, mum holding a baby in the front seat, while helicoptering their children with 'alcohol gel' because they are still scared to death of catching covid... 

The same parents let their kids ride bikes without a helmet, yet they wear a helmet when skiing because thats what everyone does.... 

The point I want to make here is that there is a huge absense of critical thought when anything is done, parents just follow what everyone else does, from whichever echelon of society they are from.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/11/2024 at 10:39 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Allowing U-turns anywhere into oncoming traffic is dangerous.

That's why clever societies have roundabouts. 

Have you ever watched the average Thai drivers behaviour at roundabouts?

On 6/11/2024 at 11:26 PM, MangoKorat said:

Same old story - enforcement.  If there was proper enforcement there would be no 13 year old kids riding motorbikes and car/pick up drivers would drive to a better standard.

In most countries, a few tragedys would spur some form of action.  In Thailand all that happens is some talk about new laws, road safety campaigns bla bla bla......... but that's all that happens, talk. Two weeks later, all is forgotten until the next time. Never mind, fill out this accident report sir.

Meanwhile the police sit in their offices eating Som Tam.

The Highway Patrol drivers have only a small budget for using fuel, that is why they can't always do their jobs as they have to spend a lot of time in their offices.

Take a look when you pass a Highway Patrol station. there is usually always at least one patrol car parked up.

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

The Highway Patrol drivers have only a small budget for using fuel, that is why they can't always do their jobs as they have to spend a lot of time in their offices.

Take a look when you pass a Highway Patrol station. there is usually always at least one patrol car parked up.

Is that what it is?  Silly me for thinking they're all lazy corrupt gits. I'll look at them in a new light now - thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/12/2024 at 9:02 AM, Callmeishmael said:

There are an average of about 60 people dying on the roads in Thailand EVERY DAY.  I don't know what makes some deaths newsworthy than others, because this was a very typical accident - it involved an underaged rider on a motorcycle, a combination that is statistically over-represented in traffic fatalities.  

I get the impression that in most cases where there is an underage fatality, it is mainly kept out of the news.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Those countries made drink-driving culturally unacceptable using campaigns in the media. 

There's no way these jumped-up little Generals who have never been told no will change their behaviour. 

And some rather harsh punitive reactions .....seem to  recall in the early days the police put chalk marks on tyres in pub car parks to suggest pulling the vehicle over later on. 

On 6/11/2024 at 10:20 PM, rattlesnake said:

It would be very harsh to jail a grieving parent.

Fines and campaigns would do it (especially fines).

They wouldn't be grieving if they had not allowed a child to ride in heavy traffic with no training.