30,000 Baht Lost Due to Incomplete ATM Deposit in Bangkok

webfact

Will teach him a lesson; Thais always need to take the shortcut, never read an instruction manual and believe, that instructions, rules and regulations are only for all the others ........

Possibly an educational hammer but he will be more careful in the future 😉 

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

I would say 90% of the folks here disagree ....  there is no way I'm going to sit in a Thai bank for 1/2 hr or more just to deposit money into my account,   the ATM is quite fast and convenient if one know to press the buttons.  

I would always want to put the money into my account in the old fashioned way, but you are right in saying you would not want to wait if there was a few folk in front of you. Neither would I.

4 hours ago, sambum said:

Wow! The Spanish Inquisition would have been proud to have you on their payroll!

For "Sad" and "Confused" :-

"After the 3 months in jail, a public flogging with advertisement made in the media with his name and what he did. I doubt they would do it again. If they did, double the penalty and so on. If recalcitrant, and continues 4 or 5 times more, put them to death.

For "stealing"/ "finding" 30,000 baht?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

They've to maintain 10000s of machines. That would be costing a lot of money.
If that happens to you, you'll never get it back. To get a new one, you've to "dance around" 2 hours at the (only there!) card issuing branch,

with your passport, producing, and signing 31 photocopies (about what they know anyway). Feeling treated like a criminal suspect. 
Creating your new PIN on the employees keyboard (Lol), and pay the fee!
What happens to your old card, you'll never know, but keep good hope.
The TiT banking system is a katastrohpy, like 75% of its staff.

Every bank visit is a long winding, enduring procedure.
If they'd achieve in their performance only 25% of their shown self importance, 
would be a giant progress.
TiT is always eager to jump on evrery technical, or any  bandwagon, but uncapable to deal with it.
Learning by doing, trial and error. In the end the "hub" of paper shoveling prevails.

".....the "hub" of paper shoveling......."

Have to agree!

My first application for an extension by way of Marriage to a Thai national involved (coincidentally, a maximum break in snooker!) 147 photocopies!!! And the following year was almost as bad - duplicating the photocopies that I had done the year before (Marriage License, Passport, Wife's ID Card, photographs of the house where we were still living etc etc etc - "Bureaucratic Bumf"!!!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

I Agree the Bank could assist their client in some fashion and it would be great PR with little cost.  Not all of the machines are "exactly" the same either, further complicating matters.

Rather then sending the customer to the police, they could take the lead.  They could even consider returning the mans deposit and put pressure on the police to recover the funds. 

We know how, to put it kindly, these types of crimes can slip through the cracks. Hope the customer gets his money back. :jap:

I agree as well! the bank could easily check who's that couple because they deposited as well: simple to track their acc nr & name. 

confront them with these facts and the couple will hand over the money within seconds...

for the bank it's good promotion!

• Thumbs Up 1

Your money isn't lost. All you have to do is call the bank and tell them the location, time of the incident and the amount in question. Your 30,000 should be in your bank account within a few days. This is one area where Thai banks excel.

13 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A Thai man lost 30,000 baht in cash after an incomplete deposit process at an automated teller machine (ATM) in a shopping mall in the Bang Kapi district of Bangkok. This incident has drawn attention to the importance of completing all necessary steps during such transactions.

Tour guide Ter is now seeking assistance from non-profit organisation Saimai Survive. He explained that on June 10, around 4pm, he deposited 30,000 baht into an ATM situated outside a bank within a shopping mall.

Ter followed what he thought was the process, placing the cash into the machine’s storage. Believing the deposit was complete, he left the ATM without waiting for a confirmation SMS from the bank.

When no confirmation arrived, Ter returned to the bank minutes later to clarify the issue with the staff. Initially, the staff suspected an SMS malfunction and assured him the funds would reach his account.

However, upon reviewing the deposit process with the bank staff, Ter realised he had missed the final step of confirming the amount after the ATM counted his cash.

Bank staff reassured Ter that other customers could not access money stored in the ATM, as a sensor should prevent such actions. However, when the bank reviewed the ATM’s security camera footage, it revealed a couple using the machine after Ter had placed the cash in the storage. 

The CCTV footage showed the couple appearing shocked to find the money. They looked around before taking the cash, with the woman placing the money into her bag before leaving the premises.

The bank has since denied responsibility for Ter’s loss, citing that the incident occurred outside their official premises.

Renowned lawyer Ronnarong Kaewphet supported the bank’s stance, indicating the loss resulted from Ter’s own mistake. He recommended that Ter file a theft complaint with the police to help track down the couple responsible.

This incident serves as a stark reminder to be vigilant and ensure all banking transaction steps are completed before leaving an ATM.

Picture courtesy: Channel 3

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Stupid and dumb post instead of talking about the seriousness of the topic!

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

However, when the bank reviewed the ATM’s security camera footage, it revealed a couple using the machine after Ter had placed the cash in the storage.

So simple, even Inspector Clouseau could solve this one.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Webfoot said:

Who deposits cash into a mall ATM?

What kind of question is that?

Every businessman doesn't want to carry money around with him and deposits it in an ATM for safety reasons.

• Confused 1

That wasn't the bank's or the ATM's fault. When you deposit your money, the machine counts and asks you if the amount deposited is OK. You have to confirm with "yes" to that. It could also be that it only counts 29,000. In that case, you would answer with "no" and then it would count it again and only when you have confirmed with "yes" again will it withdraw it.

10 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Is it really a crime to find money sitting in an ATM machine? What person would not take it if you saw it sitting there? True a police report for theft could be made. But to get the police to actually find and prosecute someone is a different story. 

Very interesting is the argument of the bank: that an ATM -- even the inside of an ATM -- is not part of the banks promises.

Taking the money out of the ATM surely would be theft to my mind. But following the banks argument, the money was "found", not "stolen".

I guess this means, that also the police will be unable to help, if that truly is the case. TiT.

12 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Like finding money on the street... finders keepers.

If you find money in the street and keep it without either attempting to find the rightful owner or not handing it over at a Police station you are committing 'theft by finding'.

2 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

Very interesting is the argument of the bank: that an ATM -- even the inside of an ATM -- is not part of the banks promises.

Taking the money out of the ATM surely would be theft to my mind. But following the banks argument, the money was "found", not "stolen".

I guess this means, that also the police will be unable to help, if that truly is the case. TiT.

If you find money in the street or anywhere else and keep it without either attempting to find the rightful owner or not handing it over at a Police station you are committing 'theft by finding'.

13 hours ago, digger70 said:

The bank is Wrong .

It's there ATM thus their responsibility that that ATM Works 100%

The bank is right, it is the customer's responsibility to ensure that he completes the transaction and does not leave B30k cash in the tray and walk away.

12 hours ago, RobU said:

The money was inside the cashbox of the ATM therefore it was located in the Bank's property when it was stolen.

It was obviously left in the cash deposit tray by the customer, it was not any "cash box", and had not been accepted as a deposit because he did not complete the transaction before walking away, it was his money and he left it there for anyone to find and steal.

12 hours ago, WDSmart said:

I've never lost money on either a deposit, withdrawal, or transfer in an ATM, but I have lost my card twice. That's a real hassle since, unless the ATM is actually in the bank, and sometimes even then, a private agency has been employed to service the machines, and they just cut up any cards they find. You'll never get them back.

That's right but the person in the OP didn't lose his ATM card in the machine.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I am not sure how this machine works, but It should return the money before he gets his card back and if there is money still in the machine, it should have locked access to it until the original card is reinserted. If the machine returned his money before he got his card back, how did he miss it.

Thais can deposit cash without an ATM card, as could foreigners until not so long ago.

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

just when I thought i'd seen it all ....

I was at Tesco food court yesterday having some lunch and an elderly lady, quite well dressed ... on a table near had just finished her Pad Thai and she promptly opens the table tissue container and grabs all the tissues .. a new full pack and puts them in her bag.  

What's that got to do with the OP?

11 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

It is the same with withdrawing money from an atm machine, in Europe, before you take the money out of the machine, you have to take out your credit card first, here in LOS it is exactly the other way around, resulting in forgetting to take out the credit card.
People have been complaining about this for years but they don't change it.
Why not, is the big question.

Why do people not take their cards is the bigger question.

13 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Like finding money on the street... finders keepers.

An honest person would know that somebody intended to deposit that money - and he would have given it to the bank.

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Lots of people, I have done, that's what the machine is there for.  Who asks such a daft question?

That's what the machine is for, but I would never deposit money into a machine. Too much could go wrong, as we saw in this case. The downside exceeds the upside, at least for me. I'll just wait until the bank is open, put my money into the hand of the bank employee, and have my bankbook (or bookbank, as Thais call it) updated on the spot. No risk.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A Thai man lost 30,000 baht in cash after an incomplete deposit process at an automated teller machine (ATM) in a shopping mall in the Bang Kapi district of Bangkok. This incident has drawn attention to the importance of completing all necessary steps during such transactions.

Tour guide Ter is now seeking assistance from non-profit organisation Saimai Survive. He explained that on June 10, around 4pm, he deposited 30,000 baht into an ATM situated outside a bank within a shopping mall.

Ter followed what he thought was the process, placing the cash into the machine’s storage. Believing the deposit was complete, he left the ATM without waiting for a confirmation SMS from the bank.

When no confirmation arrived, Ter returned to the bank minutes later to clarify the issue with the staff. Initially, the staff suspected an SMS malfunction and assured him the funds would reach his account.

However, upon reviewing the deposit process with the bank staff, Ter realised he had missed the final step of confirming the amount after the ATM counted his cash.

Bank staff reassured Ter that other customers could not access money stored in the ATM, as a sensor should prevent such actions. However, when the bank reviewed the ATM’s security camera footage, it revealed a couple using the machine after Ter had placed the cash in the storage. 

The CCTV footage showed the couple appearing shocked to find the money. They looked around before taking the cash, with the woman placing the money into her bag before leaving the premises.

The bank has since denied responsibility for Ter’s loss, citing that the incident occurred outside their official premises.

Renowned lawyer Ronnarong Kaewphet supported the bank’s stance, indicating the loss resulted from Ter’s own mistake. He recommended that Ter file a theft complaint with the police to help track down the couple responsible.

This incident serves as a stark reminder to be vigilant and ensure all banking transaction steps are completed before leaving an ATM.

Picture courtesy: Channel 3

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Whenever I am depositing a "large" amount in an ATM Deposit machine, I will do it at a main branch where there are members of staff available - usually in the vicinity of the cash machine, and they always gladly assist or witness my transaction: usually handing me the receipt. (Yes, I am careful as well as a bit thick).

• Thumbs Up 1