Thailand Passes Landmark Same-Sex Marriage Law

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

same-sex couples can marry and enjoy the same legal protections and benefits as heterosexual couples, including inheritance rights, joint property ownership, and access to healthcare and social welfare programmes.

Unless of Course you are a foreigner, this part will only be for Thais.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yaa!   I'd like to see the 'access to healthcare' clarified.

Just show your Thai ID card........:cheesy: this whole thing is addressed to Thais IMO.

13 minutes ago, 0james0 said:

If I dress up like a girl and my Thai wife dresses like a dude - then will I not need to meet the financial requirements for my non-o?

No. Don't be daft.

11 minutes ago, john donson said:

can I now pretend I am gay and marry a thai man on paper only and get citizenship in a few years without working ?

Not yet.  You will have to wait for it to become law and see how the law is going to be applied for Immigration. 🤞

Who were the 4 provinces that voted against?

All the Muslim Southern provinces voted against it. Puttani

Yala

Narathiwas

Edited by arick
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, john donson said:

can I now pretend I am gay and marry a thai man on paper only and get citizenship in a few years without working ?

Well, make sure you really like this thai man and that he likes you, first, because you will need to live here on a marriage visa (non-o) for quite a while first, and you will have to actually live together with him. With witnesses proving it, as well as photos together and home visits from immigration talking to your neighbours etc. And you must renew this visa yearly, with all the paperwork+witness.

We're talking about years of convincing the world and living the lie that you are, and live, in a same sex marriage. As long as you're prepared for all that, then go right ahead...

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The bill passed with an overwhelming majority vote of 130 to 4, with 18 abstentions.

Since there are 250 senators, this seems to indicate that over 100 of them didn't even bother to show up for the vote.

52 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Happy that the same sex couples will be able to get a legal status, although several posts here have no clue what they are talking about, but think that with jokes they are funny.. It is annoying to read that many people have no clue what it is to have no rights in a relation, especially when decisions have to be made in serious illness or funerals... All what is more about inheritage, and adoption are less important for people, it is just needed for the basic rights. Adoption is a choice and I am ok for those who want it, but for me personal it is important that my partner can arrange my funeral or make decisions when I am unable to do it anymore.....

We too all are glad your partner can arrange your funeral. Don’t dally now…. 😘 

Edited by Chongalulu

18 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Since there are 250 senators, this seems to indicate that over 100 of them didn't even bother to show up for the vote.

Busy explaining to their boyfriends that this doesn’t apply to them….

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a fantastic result for an Administration that's not known for being particularly progressive. Good on them for having the vision to pass this legislation. Love Is love It doesn't matter how it looks or what form it takes. 

"Love,the kind you clean up with a mop and bucket " 🎶 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0james0 said:

If I dress up like a girl and my Thai wife dresses like a dude - then will I not need to meet the financial requirements for my non-o?

I am hoping so, if I and the wife are allowed to call ourselves transgender, we can get this to work.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

You were.

This won't ever happen in Malaysia.

Cambodia and Malaysia are two different countries. King Sihanouk was on record as supporting same-sex marriage. No Muslim country is likely to do this.  Not an issue with me. I am happily hetero.

7 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Cambodia and Malaysia are two different countries. King Sihanouk was on record as supporting same-sex marriage. No Muslim country is likely to do this.  Not an issue with me. I am happily hetero.

Yes they are obviously very different. 

Yes I agree there is a good chance other Asean nations like Cambodia and Vietnam may eventually follow Thailand's leadership but never all of them.

5 hours ago, rovinman said:

"First Place in South East Asia"  !   Great, but only Third pace in Asia  { ? }, after Taiwan, and Nepal  ?  ?  ?

Any-one got a Map  ?

You obviously need a geography lesson.

Southeast Asia is composed of eleven countries of impressive diversity in religion, culture and history: Brunei, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Timor-Leste, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.

• Thumbs Up 1