Mulberry bushes

3 weeks ago my 2 mulberry bushes were laden with bright red fruit. I was looking forward to lots of black mulberries and making some jam.

Now they are all gone, birds or chipmunks maybe.

Anyone have any ideas how I can prevent this happening next time?

Short of a greenhouse, nope.  Why we have one.  Not for mulberries, and wife is constantly fighting to get them first, and a losing battle.   But for the figs and other expensive things growing; asparagus, broccoli, bell peppers. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, deadbeat said:

3 weeks ago my 2 mulberry bushes were laden with bright red fruit. I was looking forward to lots of black mulberries and making some jam.

Same thing with mine.  Only way to save them is to put them in a screened enclosure.

Prune them back hard.  You will get new berries in a short time.

• Like 2

We're happy to compete with the birds since there is generally more than enough fruit on the single tree. Used to have two but removed one to get some more space. Was only four years old but an absolute monster effort required to dig out the trunk and major roots. Never again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, deadbeat said:

SOP is to net the bush/tree:

image.jpeg.67e537fb68be9e7128b559e3832a311c.jpeg

7 Secrets of Fruit Tree Netting –You Need to Know | EYOUAGRO

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, deadbeat said:

When I lived in Thailand as a Tourist Police Volunteer in Khon Kaen, my Captain had a farm and Mulberries were one of his products, not only for the fruit, but also for Mulberry Wine. He used to protect his trees as below:

Depending upon the size of your tree, the obvious suggestion would be to cover the tree in bird netting. This can ether be draped over the tree and tied around the trunk, or you could surround the tree in poles and drape the netting over them. (google)

Did you have any rain ?

Most of my mulberries vanish after rain

I have 11 big bushes for some years

Re Birds, yes they have some, but also found lots of Ants, Rats/Mice, Lizards round black beetles also appear to enjoy them, seen often the smaller Alligators in the trees no idea if they eat them, 

24 minutes ago, Enoon said:

SOP is to net the bush/tree:

image.jpeg.67e537fb68be9e7128b559e3832a311c.jpeg

7 Secrets of Fruit Tree Netting –You Need to Know | EYOUAGRO

That's just what I was thinking, thank you. 

Where did you get them?

Strange. We have about 20 +/- trees in Korat and we don't have this problem. I'm wondering if it has to do with the number of trees? By that I mean, many trees = no noticeable loss; fewer trees = immediately notice the loss. Or could it eventually be neighbours helping themselves to your fruit while your back's turned? 

Edited by djayz

The other thing you can do is pick them before they are black

I use a food hanging net, zipped entrance, [about 65 baht] and hang in the sun not long they will be ripe, fine if your making jam...

I tend to pick them and eat off the trees every day, the ones I put in the net use to make fruit drink..

neighbour  next house down in Village has one very big tree outside, the Postman stops and eats a few, odd delivery drivers will also eat some

16 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

We're happy to compete with the birds since there is generally more than enough fruit on the single tree. Used to have two but removed one to get some more space. Was only four years old but an absolute monster effort required to dig out the trunk and major roots. Never again.

we just lop off branches and stick them back in the ground ..  just like weeds they keep growing

and yes,, trim them back hard constant regrowth and ridiculous amounts of fruit