Russian Man Steals 15,000 Baht and Phone in Phuket Bar Heist

webfact

The incident has sparked online debates about the visa-free policy for foreign visitors.

Oh for fox sake. The incident should raise questions about the accountability of people who leave bags containing 15k in cash unattended. 

At least the new government's xenophobia campaign is going well though

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Oh my God! Way too many Russians now in Thailand, especially in Phuket and Pattaya.

Unfortunately, 90% of them are not tourists. They are staying in Thailand for months and years, buying illegal ED visas. They are not good people. Many of them are involved in all kinds of illegal activities in Thailand.

Stop Visa Free Entry for Citizens of Russia, Kazakhsatan, China, etc.jpg

It's not only Thailand but Egypt, Turkey and.Greec to name just a few, in fact Thailand is far from their 1st choice

3 hours ago, webfact said:

stating she had briefly left her bag at the counter to buy food from a nearby stall. Upon returning, she discovered her bag missing.

This says it All ,One can't fix stupid .

1 hour ago, fittobethaied said:

So, what else did she expect to happen to her purse? I see this all the time. Employees at Dairy Queen or any kiosk playing on their phones and placing them right in front of customers, then turning their backs to do some work. The worst is the terrible fad habit of putting a phone in one's back pocket with half of it protruding out of the pocket. Don't they realize that it could fall out so easily, especially when riding on a motorbike. Or, the obvious result would be to lose it to a pickpocket. It would be an easy target for even an unskilled pickpocket. The joke here is that the victim refuses to take responsibility for her own lack of responsibility. 

I am surprised PTT stations don't get rumbled more, till open when you are waiting to pay, cashier flumexed with people throwing money at them and sometimes till open with nobody in the kiosk. 

1 hour ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Oh my God! Way too many Russians now in Thailand, especially in Phuket and Pattaya.

Unfortunately, 90% of them are not tourists. They are staying in Thailand for months and years, buying illegal ED visas. They are not good people. Many of them are involved in all kinds of illegal activities in Thailand.

Stop Visa Free Entry for Citizens of Russia, Kazakhsatan, China, etc.jpg

Over many years of buying stuff from Lazada I only got ripped off once. From a Russian vendor selling Samsung phones a bit cheaper than everyone else.6K gone and I blame myself for not doing due diligence. The red flags were there, no proper advert site, only contact to a personal number for bank details etc. Him insisting on a direct ATM deposit.I'm still kicking myself on that one.It won't happen again.

A complaint to Lazada resulted in a "zero" response.They're probably still laughing about my issue...555   one born every minute they say,

4 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Yes, also she didn't mention 5K diamond ring, 2 bahts of gold, $999 in cash and XL-size condoms. Whatever...

She was shy to mention about the XL she likes filled to the top

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Almer said:

I am surprised PTT stations don't get rumbled more, till open when you are waiting to pay, cashier flumexed with people throwing money at them and sometimes till open with nobody in the kiosk. 

They dont get a lot of tourist traffic

37 minutes ago, digger70 said:

This says it All ,One can't fix stupid .

She said, people be careful you can't trust anybody then she leaves her possessions on the bar and goes out for food, bless her. 

• Haha 2

Off the topic a little bit, whatever happens at foreign guy who kicked that female doctor in the back or something because she was sitting on his steps of a rental villa that he had haven’t heard anything about that lately or for that matter I haven’t heard anything about the Red Bull kid in ages TIT

I don't mean to victim blame, but who leaves their purse containing a lot of money and other valuable things within easy reach in a bar while they go out to a food stall to buy something? 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting. Why is it that when the British or the Germans or the Americans break the law, you don’t shout that they should all be expelled? After all, there are no fewer such crimes. Or do they do less illegal things?) Looks like stupid racism )

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

He's partially right. They can track phones using the IEMI number, which all phones have.............https://www.carlcare.com/ng/tips-detail/track-stolen-phone-with-imei-number/

"Step 3. IMEI Tracking Apps and Software: There are various third-party applications and software available that claim to track stolen phones using IMEI numbers. While some of these apps may be helpful, exercise caution while choosing them, as some might be scams or ineffective".

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Cant they track the mobile phone? obviously not I would have thought these days everybody has a tracking app on their phones, 

And track it with ... your stolen phone? 🤔 🤦🏼‍♂️

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The victim, who works at the bar, recounted the incident to Phuket Times yesterday, stating she had briefly left her bag at the counter to buy food from a nearby stall. Upon returning, she discovered her bag missing. CCTV footage later revealed that a Russian man had taken the bag and swiftly exited the bar. 

Opportunist thief who may regret his actions if found.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

More racism. They just can't help themselves, can they. There is a far, far, far greater chance of being robbed by a Thai, but that's an inconvenient truth, isn't it. The Russian got first to the bag she left, that's all. Stupid woman to leave the bag and stupid to make it a racist matter. Jeez!

What? Where is the racism? Where did you read that somebody said it was a greater chance to be robbed by a foreigner than a Thai in Thailand? Nobody has been speaking about that, more than you.

What they are saying, can be understood as they do not want more of thieving foreigners in Thailand, and that they see the visa-free system as contributing to that. Something that it truly does, as we have seen an uptick of problem after it was implemented. All from stealing to violence and other bad behavior. 

What do you think they should do with their fellow countrymen? Deport them?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

What? Where is the racism? Where did you read that somebody said it was a greater chance to be robbed by a foreigner than a Thai in Thailand? 

Perhaps you didn't understand that she said people had to be especially wary of foreigners (ie more so than with Thais) Despite there being infinitely more Thai criminals in Thailand than there are foreign criminals.

"You cannot trust anyone, especially foreigners,” the woman remarked

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, khunpin said:

And track it with ... your stolen phone? 🤔 🤦🏼‍♂️

If an iPhone: Open your iCloud account from any laptop or someone else’s phone and click on “find my iPhone”. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Agree 1

It seems that almost everyday we are reading stuff about Russians committing crimes here in Thailand, driving drunk and killing people, working illegally and selling drugs amongst many other things they are doing,, it's about time that the Thai government stop these free visas completely and ship those cowards back home where they can earn a salary on the Russian front

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

How do they know he is Russian?

he had dual-head eagle and balalaika behind his back. Also he was dancing "babushka" while stealing. 

• Confused 1