Buffalo’s Road Death Sparks Chaos in Chiang Mai, Four Injured

webfact

image.jpeg

In a startling turn of events, a buffalo's escape led to a road catastrophe in Chiang Mai's San Sai District last night, resulting in the animal’s death and injuries to four people. The incident unfolded shortly after midnight when the buffalo wandered onto a main road and was hit by a passing car, causing substantial damage to the vehicle.

Emergency responders from the Mae Jo Municipality rescue unit and officers from Mae Jo Police Station were quick to the scene. They found a blue car with severe front-end damage, evidence of its collision with the large black buffalo. However, the drama didn't end there. Two motorcycles trailing the car failed to stop in time and also collided with the fallen buffalo.

The initial car accident and subsequent motorcycle crashes led to injuries. Of the four injured, one was transported to San Sai Hospital, and two others were taken to Theppanya Hospital. The final injured person declined hospital treatment.

Authorities are investigating the buffalo's origins, as its ownership remains unknown. Early findings indicate that the buffalo may have been tethered in a nearby alley before it escaped onto the road. Police officers meticulously documented the scene with photographs and statements from those involved, aiming to trace the buffalo’s owner for possible accountability.

This incident underscores the critical need for effective animal control, highlighting the hazards that stray animals can introduce to road safety.

In a similar but separate incident, a wild deer caused multiple accidents on Chaiyapruek Road, hit by cars three times in rapid succession. Police from Chaiyapruek Police Station attended the scene last night following multiple reports of the deer being struck and killed.

Both incidents serve as a stark reminder of the unpredictable dangers that animals on roads pose to motorists, stressing the importance of vigilance and caution while driving.

Picture courtesy: MSN via Khaosod

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Ear tags as an owner registration? Otherwise nobody owns it.

Ear tags in Thailand.... that means traceability.. can't have that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll venture to say they did not get all the details

They found a blue car with severe front-end damage, ( which was probably speeding while the driver was texting )evidence of its collision with the large black buffalo. However, the drama didn't end there. Two motorcycles trailing  ( tailgating )the car failed to stop in time and also collided with the fallen buffalo.

• Agree 1

On 6/22/2024 at 1:39 PM, Thingamabob said:

As with the deer previously no concern or sorrow expressed for the dead animal. Welcome to 'Buddhist' Thailand.

On my way back to Chiang Mai from Surin, last New Year's Day, I counted 21 dead dogs on the side of the roads.  My journey takes 12 hours and covers 7 major roads. 

How many other dogs died that day on the thousands of other roads in Thailand?

The dogs shouldn't have been out on the roads in the first place. 

I'd still be travelling if I stopped and showed sympathy for every dead mongrel on the roads.

The previous 2 journeys, always on NY's Day - similar numbers.

Do you show sympathy for every pigeon of other creature road kills?

Or even more so, humanity wise, all those innocent people killed by other drivers?

Dogs are just animals. They can be eaten. Just like many other animals - do you 'mourn' them?

The deer and buffalo are sad statistics - caused by humans.

Nothing changes and never will.

Get over it.

• Agree 1

On 6/22/2024 at 2:07 PM, richard_smith237 said:

They could have announced the driver of the car was a foreigner - they'd have people crawling out of the woodwork claiming ownership of the buffalo and claiming compensation for the loss !!! :whistling:

Never miss a chance to talk negative...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Never miss a chance to talk negative...

That would imply that I only 'talk negative' of Thailand and use every opportunity, never missing a chance to 'talk negative' of Thailand....   

... In making such an implication you'd be relying on a very incorrect assumption in an attempt to shoe horn in a personal dig - not very clever.

• Sad 1

On 6/23/2024 at 5:30 PM, Bundooman said:

On my way back to Chiang Mai from Surin, last New Year's Day, I counted 21 dead dogs on the side of the roads.  My journey takes 12 hours and covers 7 major roads. 

How many other dogs died that day on the thousands of other roads in Thailand?

The dogs shouldn't have been out on the roads in the first place. 

I'd still be travelling if I stopped and showed sympathy for every dead mongrel on the roads.

The previous 2 journeys, always on NY's Day - similar numbers.

Do you show sympathy for every pigeon of other creature road kills?

Or even more so, humanity wise, all those innocent people killed by other drivers?

Dogs are just animals. They can be eaten. Just like many other animals - do you 'mourn' them?

The deer and buffalo are sad statistics - caused by humans.

Nothing changes and never will.

Get over it.

What a fantastic hobby counting dead dogs ?

Thankyou for your service Sir

Edited by georgegeorgia