Servicing a Hatari pedestal fan?

giddyup

I have a few of these fans around the house and some have started to run a bit slow. I imagine that they might need a few drops of oil on a bearing, but not sure hiw much work is needed to reach the right spots.

Anyone done this kind of thing on their own fans?

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I service these fans all the time ,both wall and pedestal , it is easy 0nly 3-4 screws to loosen,

all you need is a screwdriver and a bottle of Singer light oil,  oiling the bearing on the fan side

is easy ,just a few drops of oil and move the spindle around so oil penetrates , the rear bearing

you have to turn the motor upside down to be able to drip the oil on to the bearing , 

Whole thing should take about 15 mins including washing the fan and cage , make sure to tighten good

the back cage and fan  .

regards worgeordie

Concur ! As a simple part of the  minimal process to  disassemble sufficient parts of a fan for routine cleaning the application of light lubrication to the spindle bearings is very easy.

Usually the reason for the fan starting to go slow, is that the capacitor is old and done. You can change that. They sell in electric shops or Lazada. Videos on how to change online.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I service these fans all the time ,both wall and pedestal , it is easy 0nly 3-4 screws to loosen,

all you need is a screwdriver and a bottle of Singer light oil,  oiling the bearing on the fan side

is easy ,just a few drops of oil and move the spindle around so oil penetrates , the rear bearing

you have to turn the motor upside down to be able to drip the oil on to the bearing , 

Whole thing should take about 15 mins including washing the fan and cage , make sure to tighten good

the back cage and fan  .

regards worgeordie

I need to take the fan off or not?

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I need to take the fan off or not?

Yes you dismantle the whole fan , as you need to clean it as well , it's not difficult ,

or you could just do what Subasuba3 done and buy a new fan .....5555

regards worgeordie   PS on the plastic rings holding the fan and the cage on ,look closely it tells you which way to loosen , tighten 

Edited by worgeordie
add on

12 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have a few of these fans around the house and some have started to run a bit slow. I imagine that they might need a few drops of oil on a bearing, but not sure hiw much work is needed to reach the right spots.

Anyone done this kind of thing on their own fans?

Most of the time, running slow is due to a bad capacitor.

Replace with the exact specifications as the one in the fan.

If the motor is stuck, you can check by turning the blades manually, when the fan is unplugged.

image.png.9dae843ac38989a59bc3c61615439135.png

• Thanks 1

If you can't be bothered, there's a Thai guy in the Rompho market in Jomtien who does it - not the wet market, the other bit selling non-food stuff. If you can't find him just ask for the Fan Shop.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2024 at 7:08 AM, ravip said:

Most of the time, running slow is due to a bad capacitor.

Replace with the exact specifications as the one in the fan.

If the motor is stuck, you can check by turning the blades manually, when the fan is unplugged.

image.png.9dae843ac38989a59bc3c61615439135.png

This is the most likely cause, and no amount of oil will cure it.

I have replaced he capacitor in most of my ceiling fans. The general spec should be the same but not necessarily the value. It is the value that determines the speed and many are multiple values in a single package. The first one I did I couldn't get an exact equivalent so I just put in a single value capacitor that equated to the highest speed.

• Like 1