Any good lawyers to sue well established computer store?

timoti

19 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Perhaps you should find out. Motherboards can be repaired. Often the manufacturer/distributor prefer to replace the entire Motherboard.

Yes I am inquiring about it now from another shop in Bangkok. Asus won't repair only replace and not possible to replace. I just worry it's some part or chip that can't be found.

On 6/24/2024 at 7:57 AM, timoti said:

Can I do that then? Or is it better to ask for that compensation and add lost wages daily?

Do you have a work permit or are you sure the work that you are doing is legitimate without one? Are you tax resident and file tax returns? Before going to a court to try and claim those kind of damages, make sure all your ducks are in a row.

Also don't forget the #1 rule of suing someone. Do they have the money to pay?

7 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Do you have a work permit or are you sure the work that you are doing is legitimate without one? Are you tax resident and file tax returns? Before going to a court to try and claim those kind of damages, make sure all your ducks are in a row.

Also don't forget the #1 rule of suing someone. Do they have the money to pay?

They are the largest store here. I am sure they can afford that.

5 hours ago, timoti said:

Actually I am not sure which part of it. All I know is that Asus said they don't have this part so I trust their word. Therefore they can't replace what they broke. 

The original issue with the laptop was never diagnosed, it could be battery, charger, charging port, something wrong with mobo. But now it's hard to do that when they caused additional physical damage.

My Asus had a charging issue that turned out to be the motherboard. It took a couple weeks to get the board because I bought the laptop in the US and it was not supported in Thailand. 

Did you buy it in Thailand? 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

My Asus had a charging issue that turned out to be the motherboard. It took a couple weeks to get the board because I bought the laptop in the US and it was not supported in Thailand. 

Did you buy it in Thailand? 

No I bought it when I was in Taiwan.

On 6/23/2024 at 12:03 PM, timoti said:

Thanks I didn't know I could do that for free. I can send a demand letter for free? The lawyer I see asked 8k another said 15k for the demand letter. The first one said if we go to first court it's 50k.

There are very high end laptops costing these prices: 

https://www.networkhardwares.com/products/asus-proart-studiobook-one-w590-w590g6t-ps99-15-6-mobile-workstation-4k-uhd-intel-core-i9-9th-gen-i9-9980hk-2-40-ghz-64-gb-total-ram-1-tb-ssd

It's not completely free. The Court has a specific process. The Court will assign a Court consultant to your matter and he will guide you through the process. Basically, several forms have to be filed along with proof/evidence, preferably in physical form like documents or photos, of your claim. Everything must be in Thai language. Once the consultant approves the forms and their contents, they are filed and the defendant is summoned to Court. You have to pay the Summons delivery charge, photo copy charges perhaps certified translations, etc. I recommend following the Court consultant instructions and process. I am not a legal expert, lawyer or court consultant, so go to the Court and find out all the details. I am just trying to point you in a direction which may prove fruitful for you.

You can also go to the Ministry of Justice in Chonburi city and they have an office where they will provide you free advice on how to obtain justice.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

It's not completely free. The Court has a specific process. The Court will assign a Court consultant to your matter and he will guide you through the process. Basically, several forms have to be filed along with proof/evidence, preferably in physical form like documents or photos, of your claim. Everything must be in Thai language. Once the consultant approves the forms and their contents, they are filed and the defendant is summoned to Court. You have to pay the Summons delivery charge, photo copy charges perhaps certified translations, etc. I recommend following the Court consultant instructions and process. I am not a legal expert, lawyer or court consultant, so go to the Court and find out all the details. I am just trying to point you in a direction which may prove fruitful for you.

You can also go to the Ministry of Justice in Chonburi city and they have an office where they will provide you free advice on how to obtain justice.

Thanks I went there 2 times. So they told me to visit the volunteer lawyer that gives some advice but he is eager for you to hire him. Second day was a lawyer who doesn't speak English. 

The prices weren't bad but I just don't know if they are good lawyers. 

They also told me in info dept that I could go to lawyers counsel in a different address. 

The lawyer said whatever you want as compensation I have to pay 2 percent to court.

I am first waiting the result of the demand letter.

Ministry of justice is in provincial hall in Chon buri?

Edited by timoti
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, timoti said:

Thanks I went there 2 times. So they told me to visit the volunteer lawyer that gives some advice but he is eager for you to hire him. Second day was a lawyer who doesn't speak English. 

The prices weren't bad but I just don't know if they are good lawyers. 

They also told me in info dept that I could go to lawyers counsel in a different address. 

The lawyer said whatever you want as compensation I have to pay 2 percent to court.

I am first waiting the result of the demand letter.

Ministry of justice is in provincial hall in Chon buri?

Who told to go to the volunteer lawyers?

You don't need a lawyer in Kwaeng Court but you do need to be able to communicate in Thai.

Did you go into the Kwaeng Court? Sign-in with the policeman? Turn right and go down to the end counter? Ask to start a case?

Do you speak Thai and write Thai or did you have a Thai speaking person with you?

From my experience it is practically impossible to do anything through the Courts unless you or your representative can communicate in Thai.

If you can't communicate in Thai then you have to find a Thai friend or pay someone to do the translation for you.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 9:30 PM, timoti said:

CCTV camera, written admission on document, admission on text messages and promise to fix it, original condition report that doesn't mention what they destroyed when I brought it. 

It's a laptop so I can't estimate the damage if there is no spare parts to fix it and without fixing it, the laptop is useless so about 500K in total value.

Is it made out of gold?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I feel your sadness. So, do the basic things - file the proper complain (you'll need any bilingual lawyer, even fresh graduate) and pursue the case. The court won't through away your claim, I had pretty good experience with them.

Judges in Thailand are very-very different from thai folk you meet/see around.

And he doesn't have to be from Pattaya/Chonburi. Go to Bangkok, and get one there. Near Democracy Monument and supreme court. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

Who told to go to the volunteer lawyers?

You don't need a lawyer in Kwaeng Court but you do need to be able to communicate in Thai.

Did you go into the Kwaeng Court? Sign-in with the policeman? Turn right and go down to the end counter? Ask to start a case?

Do you speak Thai and write Thai or did you have a Thai speaking person with you?

From my experience it is practically impossible to do anything through the Courts unless you or your representative can communicate in Thai.

If you can't communicate in Thai then you have to find a Thai friend or pay someone to do the translation for you.

The information country in the center building told me to see the lawyer. I went to Kwaeng also yesterday. I think he also told me something about lawyers. I will ask a Thai friend to help me then. I didn't know I could do these like that.

But that Thai friend will have to argue for me in the court? I guess I can do this after the result of the demand letter because I paid for this already and that lawyer sent it. But I didn't pay for going to court.

I thought if I didn't have real lawyer my chance to win would go down a lot.

On 6/25/2024 at 12:35 PM, timoti said:

All I know is that Asus said they don't have this part so I trust their word. Therefore they can't replace what they broke. 

Again, if it was broken at an Authorized ASUS Repair Center, then I'd still suggest writing direct to Consumer Affairs at ASUS Corporate Headquarters and filing a complaint. 

ASUSTeK Computer Inc
No. 15, Li-Te Road
Peitou District, Taipei, 112
Taiwan, China

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, connda said:

Again, if it was broken at an Authorized ASUS Repair Center, then I'd still suggest writing direct to Consumer Affairs at ASUS Corporate Headquarters and filing a complaint. 

ASUSTeK Computer Inc
No. 15, Li-Te Road
Peitou District, Taipei, 112
Taiwan, China

I will contact them. I reached out to Asus via email and Facebook and they both replied saying they got my case. Just waiting for follow up.

18 minutes ago, timoti said:

I will contact them. I reached out to Asus via email and Facebook and they both replied saying they got my case. Just waiting for follow up.

I've made complaints before and snail-mail letters seem to get their attention especially if they are addressed to the CEO of the company.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, timoti said:

OP.  If you took your laptop to an Authorized ASUS Repair Center you have a really strong case.  Legally that repair center is an "agent" of ASUS corporate which in turn makes ASUS corporate bear legal liability for the action of their agent.  Just saying...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, connda said:

OP.  If you took your laptop to an Authorized ASUS Repair Center you have a really strong case.  Legally that repair center is an "agent" of ASUS corporate which in turn makes ASUS corporate bear legal liability for the action of their agent.  Just saying...

So I need to include them in the lawsuit?

I reached out to them in many channels but all they said is they have my case, they are looking for solution etc.

33 minutes ago, timoti said:

So I need to include them in the lawsuit?

I reached out to them in many channels but all they said is they have my case, they are looking for solution etc.

I'm saying that if it was an "Authorized ASUS Repair Center" to first contact ASUS corporate headquarters and file a formal complaint.  See if you can obtain and equitable solution to your complaint, then if you can't, keep all of the correspondence and move ahead legally.  And yes, "Agency" in the business world implies legal liability of both the agent (repair facility) and the principle (corporation who authorizes the repair facility to act on their behalf).

And again - I'd write a formal letter to ASUS addressed directly to the CEO, Jonney Shih and explain your problem and the steps you've taken with ASUS to resolve your problem to date.  See where that takes you first. 

Here is an example in order to understand "Agency:"  You can find other examples online.  Search for "Agency" and "Liability."

https://thecampbelllawgroup.com/agency-relationship-understanding-who-is-an-agent-and-the-liability-that-arises-from-the-relationship/

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, connda said:

I'm saying that if it was an "Authorized ASUS Repair Center" to first contact ASUS corporate headquarters and file a formal complaint.  See if you can obtain and equitable solution to your complaint, then if you can't, keep all of the correspondence and move ahead legally.  And yes, "Agency" in the business world implies legal liability of both the agent (repair facility) and the principle (corporation who authorizes the repair facility to act on their behalf).

And again - I'd write a formal letter to ASUS addressed directly to the CEO, Jonney Shih and explain your problem and the steps you've taken with ASUS to resolve your problem to date.  See where that takes you first. 

Here is an example in order to understand "Agency:"  You can find other examples online.  Search for "Agency" and "Liability."

https://thecampbelllawgroup.com/agency-relationship-understanding-who-is-an-agent-and-the-liability-that-arises-from-the-relationship/

Jonney Shih has not been the CEO since 2007. He's the Chairman.

Their President is Jonathan Tsang and they have two CEO; S.Y. Hsu & Samson Hu.

You can put the salient facts together in an email and copy them in. Their email addresses are....in the inbox of the OP 😊

All you need to do is to put an underscore between their first and last names.

Edited by NowNow
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 2:24 AM, timoti said:

The information country in the center building told me to see the lawyer. I went to Kwaeng also yesterday. I think he also told me something about lawyers. I will ask a Thai friend to help me then. I didn't know I could do these like that.

But that Thai friend will have to argue for me in the court? I guess I can do this after the result of the demand letter because I paid for this already and that lawyer sent it. But I didn't pay for going to court.

I thought if I didn't have real lawyer my chance to win would go down a lot.

I recommend you go to the Kwaeng Court with your Thai friend. Basically your Thai friend is there to interpret for you. You tell your your friend what to say, and the Thai friend tells you what others said in Thai. Go to the counter with your friend, get the forms, instructions and the consultant's name that will be assisting you in the Court, have your friend help you fill-in the forms, then go back counter with the completed forms and evidence and present them to the consultant. Copy everything for your own records. Once the consultant is satisfied with forms, ask for instructions for the next steps.

• Like 1