Man fulfills vow by offering 99 pig heads at a temple in Nakhon Pathom

snoop1130

1 minute ago, Thingamabob said:

So much for so called 'Buddhism' in Thailand. Utterly disgusting.

For a religion that advocates, as I understand it, not harming living creatures, this offering of pigs heads, chickens etc. at temples seems to go against all principles. Never understood it and never get a proper answer when I ask practising 'Buddhists' why dead animal sacrifices are made.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

For a religion that advocates, as I understand it, not harming living creatures, this offering of pigs heads, chickens etc. at temples seems to go against all principles. Never understood it and never get a proper answer when I ask practising 'Buddhists' why dead animal sacrifices are made.

I suppose if you go for the full Thai Buddhist Monty then a sacrificed animal earns merit for the sacrifice and comes back as something better. So you actually do it a favor. Who knows?

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

So much for so called 'Buddhism' in Thailand. Utterly disgusting.

"Their offerings will be used for the temple's charitable activities such as aid for bedridden patients, disabled individuals, the elderly, low-income families, and victims of disasters."

What is disgusting about this?

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, MartinL said:

you do realise that the pigs were not decapitated specifically for this event?   Pigs heads are easily  available and can even be bought at makro. Most religions have rituals that involve strange acts, the origins of which have been long forgotten, most followers of those religions have little knowledge  or indeed little interest as to why they do these things 

4 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

No, nor any animal, as you should know. Stunning ignorance.

Of course they eat meat. Go to any supermarket, fresh market or even 7/11 and you will find fresh or processed meat  for sale every day. I am sure that there are not enough farangs in Thailand to eat all the meat consumed every day in Thailand.

It is up to each individual to decide what they eat, not you to spread religious mumbo jumbo about what people should or should not eat.