Delivery Guy Tried to Scam me?

Dear All,

I recently ordered something from Lazada and the delivery guy arrived on a motorbike and delivered the package having called me previously.

I already had the exact amount ready and paid him for the package on arrival and he went away.

The price was 1,224 Thb.

However, about 1 hour later I got a call from a lady  saying that I had only given the guy 224 Thb.

I was adamant that I had paid the full amount and then suddenly I heard her talking to the delivery guy who was still saying I had only paid 224 Thb.

He then came on the phone saying he was coming back for the "Extra" 1,000Thb.

I went ballistic and told them to <deleted> Right Off!

He said he was still going to come to get the money at which point I had to threaten him and closed the call!

He never showed up....Surprise, surprise!

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar occurrence?

Post edited to remove names.We do not permit naming/shaming it's defamatory and dangerous to do so.

7. You will not post defamatory or libelous comments. Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person or business to suffer harm or loss. A statement does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either as a drawing, picture, painting, motion picture, film, or letters made visible by any means or by broadcasting, dissemination or propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand and elsewhere in ASEAN.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I scan on delivery, no cash involved, and I have a receipt 

Pay when ordering, the days of "always pay cash on delivery for safety" are over, just make sure the seller has a good reputation on the platform.

I had a food delivery driver send me multiple texts to the effect that my debit card charge didn't go through and I had to pay him in cash. I responded ok. checked my balance, saw the funds had been deducted, and told him to sit and spin when he tried to claim the cash.

he just walked away and I reported the incident with screenshots to the panda

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Pay when ordering, the days of "always pay cash on delivery for safety" are over, just make sure the seller has a good reputation on the platform.

No, cash on delivery is still readily available with Lazada, but now instead of actual cash you have the option of scan to pay, avoids any issues or disputes. Certainly check the sellers reputation, that's sensible regardless how you intend paying.

COD is fine ....  hand the guy the exact amount or just a bit more and say that's fine,  then he scans the package, and that's his agreement that the full amount has been paid,   otherwise he obviously wouldn't hand over the package. 

not sure with the OP,  didn't the guy scan the package after you gave him the 1,224 baht   ?? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ive never used these dudes nor do i want to pay for cold busted up food

im a human that still goes outside and if i eat out i do so for the exp

otherwise i go to the store but my items and eat and cook them myself...like a human

remember when going OUT to eat was a dining exp???? welcome to the new laziness society ...in an hour or less.....smh

A rather extreme and myopic view-point that missed the point of the op and wonders off on your own tangent - this is about Lazada COD (not food delivery)... 

But, on your point, I can understand the need to go out if you live in a studio-shyt hole...

Sometimes its nice to cook, sometimes its nice to eat out, sometimes its nice to order in... 

Your argument is as daft as comparing reading a book to reading the internet - times have moved on and convenience has evolved....   

We now order many of our super-market items online...   You clearly have blurred the lines between laziness and convenience. 

Edited by richard_smith237

34 minutes ago, Stocky said:

No, cash on delivery is still readily available with Lazada, but now instead of actual cash you have the option of scan to pay, avoids any issues or disputes. Certainly check the sellers reputation, that's sensible regardless how you intend paying.

ALL of our online order items..  (GrabFood / Tops Supermarket / Villa Market online / LineMan / Lazada / Shopee etc) involves direct online payment - it makes everything convenient (personal preference)... 

Others prefer cash on delivery for their own reasons (as discussed in many threads before)... 

As you mentioned, 'scan to pay' is a decent option (with payment on delivery) which removes any potential ambiguity of an erroneous-cash-payment or accusation of such.

In the example (provided by the Op) - Could he have made a mistake ? 

He seems 100% sure... also, surely the delivery person would ensure the correct amount before leaving.

Does seem like a bit of a scam attempt.

7 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

All these guys saying COD is OK? Do you literally wait around at home all day waiting for a delivery guy so you can pay cash?

No, the Lazada app keeps you informed and gives you notification on the day the package is out for delivery, and then again a notification that delivery will be in the next hour. You also get the delivery drivers mobile number so easy enough to schedule a delivery time if you're out. As we live in a house on a regular soi someone needs to be home to receive a delivery anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Stocky said:

No, the Lazada app keeps you informed and gives you notification on the day the package is out for delivery, and then again a notification that delivery will be in the next hour. You also get the delivery drivers mobile number so easy enough to schedule a delivery time if you're out. As we live in a house on a regular soi someone needs to be home to receive a delivery anyway.

Where we live we get notifications when the delivery will come but its only accurate to a few hours. We don't even need to be home to receive as the goods are simply left at the gate. Its convenient for both us and the delivery guys. So all we do is click to pay online and we know the goods will be dropped off at our home no matter if anyone is home or not. Living in a good neighborhood helps of course.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Yes, I meant they are over in the sense that the safety justification for choosing this more constraining process is no longer relevant. But just a subjective opinion of course.

3 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

All these guys saying COD is OK? Do you literally wait around at home all day waiting for a delivery guy so you can pay cash?

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  If I have something else to do, I give the money to the condo juristic office people and they pay Lazada delivery person when the package is delivered.  Pretty simple, really.