Macron Warns of 'Civil War' if Far Left or Far Right Wins Upcoming Election

Social Media

image.png.9705d8cc601f6838f9afcaf5e0ceafc4.png

In a stark warning to the French electorate, President Emmanuel Macron cautioned that a victory for either the far-left or far-right in the upcoming snap election could lead to "civil war." Macron's remarks come amid a tense political climate as France prepares to vote in a parliamentary election triggered by his coalition's recent defeat by the far-right National Rally in the European election.

Speaking on the podcast "Generation Do It Yourself," Macron articulated his concerns about the divisive policies pursued by both the far-left France Unbowed and Marine Le Pen’s far-right National Rally. He argued that these policies exacerbate tensions between communities and undermine social cohesion. According to Macron, the far right's approach to addressing insecurity reduces individuals to their religion or origin, fostering an environment ripe for civil conflict. Similarly, he accused the far-left, under the leadership of Jean-Luc Mélenchon, of promoting division through electioneering tactics aimed at appealing to specific religious or ethnic groups.

Macron's comments reflect broader anxieties within his administration regarding the potential consequences of a polarized political landscape. With recent polls indicating that the National Rally could secure 35 percent of the vote in the first round of the election, ahead of a left-wing alliance, which includes France Unbowed, at 27 percent, and Macron’s centrists at 19 percent, the stakes are high.

The president's allies have been vocal in their warnings about the economic and social risks posed by a shift towards the extremes. They argue that such a shift could lead to economic instability and increased societal conflict. Macron, however, took these warnings a step further by explicitly stating that the rise of political extremes could culminate in civil war. He emphasized the dangers of turning to extremist solutions out of frustration with daily hardships, urging voters to reject divisive rhetoric and policies.

This election represents a critical juncture for France, as the potential influx of far-right members into the National Assembly could significantly alter the country's political dynamics. Macron's dire predictions aim to galvanize centrist support and dissuade voters from opting for radical alternatives. The outcome of this election will not only determine the composition of the French government but also potentially set the course for the nation's future social and political stability.

Credit: Politico 2024-06-26

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Macron has himself to blame. People have had enough of promises in the west as this is not just happening in France. Unfortunately it doesn't mean that any new government will do as the people want. Especially if it is a left leaning government.   

You just beat me to it, I was about to post this comment too, exactly the same thing you see happening in Germany, the Netherlands Belgium, and name all those eu countries.
And now that the right is going to get the upper hand they start complaining...way too late.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Did anyone see the film Civil War?

I haven't, just this clip.

Texas and California secede? 

Thanks, going to download it right away to check it out.

22 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

You just beat me to it, I was about to post this comment too, exactly the same thing you see happening in Germany, the Netherlands Belgium, and name all those eu countries.
And now that the right is going to get the upper hand they start complaining...way too late.

exactly. Even in the UK on July 4th! 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Social Media said:

In a stark warning to the French electorate, President Emmanuel Macron cautioned that a victory for either the far-left or far-right in the upcoming snap election could lead to "civil war." Macron's remarks come amid a tense political climate as France prepares to vote in a parliamentary election triggered by his coalition's recent defeat by the far-right National Rally in the European election.

Ah, when you have nothing, bring out the fearmongering.

Sad world we live in.

Had he done a better job it would not have come to this.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, john donson said:

wake me up when race wars start

You have been sleeping too long. Race wars has a long and bloody legacy in USA. In the middle east, insane and medieval race wars have been raging throught history. The ideology of Iran and its allies for the destruction of Isreal will not leave the middle-east in peace for the unforseeable future. Russia invasion of Ukraine is a race war. More worrisome in USA is the battle line drawn by the rightwing christine movement that may start a race war. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

Macron has himself to blame. People have had enough  in the west as this is not just happening in France. Unfortunately it doesn't mean that any new government will do as the people want. Especially if it is a left leaning government.   

I would say it doesn't mean a new government would be more competent and able to solve problems the previous government couldn't fix. It's easy to highlight all current problems, but solving them is another story.

Actually, it could well even be worse.  

It seems it's Macron's B plan. Let the RN access power now rather than later, and let them get toast before the more important presidential election.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

kk, you are 100% correct.The people/citizens did not vote this mass immigration thats going on. Merkel started it all I believe. The Canada I grew up in is long gone...I'm glad I left 2 decades ago because I wouldn't fit in very well there. There's no going back from all this. Once they're in the system they'll never leave. The politicians are to blame thru virtue signalling.

It is in many western countries the same story,

look in the Netherlands there was a prime minister in power for 13 years until yesterday.
In those same 13 years, everything has gone to hell, everything has become much more expensive, social services have been phased out, medical expenses are no longer affordable, necessary medicines are unobtainable, etc.
When this same minister opened his mouth, he already started lying, promising all sorts of things, but delivering nothing.
And lo and behold, he becomes the secretary general of NATO, how do you make it up.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

Yes, that is possible. However I think we are getting closer the EU breaking up as a governing body over EU states. 

Another fantasy...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, superal said:

Real French people do not put up with xxit from their government . They are protective of their customs and life styles that are being diluted by immigration , much the same as many other European countries . Macron is not a popular man and is using scare tactics to steer voters from the far right . He will lose .

Do you think he's expecting to win?

16 hours ago, stoner said:

how is it that border security is a huge issue in so many countries all at the exact same time. total coincidence for sure. 

Well, word gets around you know?

17 hours ago, superal said:

Macron is not a popular man and is using scare tactics to steer voters from the far right . He will lose .

I hope he loses. Unfortunately I doubt his replacement will be any better. They seem to all be rotten these sad days.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, candide said:

Do you think he's expecting to win?

Yes he is and among his scare mongering tactics I.e. " If the left or right win there may be a civil war "

24 minutes ago, superal said:

Yes he is and among his scare mongering tactics I.e. " If the left or right win there may be a civil war "

I course, he has to play the game and who knows, it may work to some extent (only). But he's expecting the RN may well have more votes than the other parties and likely govern. The main  reason he dissolved the Parliament is that they will have enough time to get toast before the Presidential election.

• Thanks 1