Thailand’s national parks smash revenue records

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-06-25-105726.jpg

Thailand’s national parks achieved a monumental milestone, breaking revenue records by collecting a whopping 1.785 billion baht between October 1 last year, and June 20 this year. This incredible sum surpasses the total amount collected in the whole of 2023, which stood at 1.467 billion baht.

Leading the charge is the Nopparat Thara Beach National Park, Phi Phi Islands, raking in an impressive 500.87 million baht. This park, a magnet for foreign tourists, has seen a dramatic increase in visitors, recording over 4.5 million foreign arrivals, a 41.5% rise from the previous year. In the past nine months, the park’s revenue surged from 300 million baht to over 500 million baht.

Similan National Park follows with 243.66 million baht, renowned for its breathtaking underwater beauty. Khao Laem Ya – Mu Ko Samet National Park garnered 127.82 million baht, attracting visitors with its stunning coastal views. Ao Phang Nga National Park, famous for its dramatic limestone karsts, brought in 114.23 million baht. Doi Inthanon National Park, home to Thailand’s highest peak, completed the top five with 100.55 million baht.

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife, and Plant Conservation (DNP) revealed that the bulk of this revenue would be channelled into improving infrastructure and facilities within these natural treasures.

“Most of the funds will be allocated to developing the parks’ infrastructure and facilities.”

The remaining funds will be used to cover staff wages, enhance personnel development, and support local government organisations in areas surrounding the parks, reported Pattaya Mail.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Forbes

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-25

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s national parks achieved a monumental milestone, breaking revenue records by collecting a whopping 1.785 billion baht between October 1 last year, and June 20 this year. This incredible sum surpasses the total amount collected in the whole of 2023, which stood at 1.467 billion baht.

Must be a result of all those special tourist entry prices.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

You like throwing money out the window?

You like paying 10× a Thai person?

For the beer? 
I think if you add up all the money I save on cheaper beer here it will more than cover the cost of entry to a national park.

And then food, prostitutes, taxis, hotel accommodation I am miles ahead.

Remember, they want you to pay exorbitant amounts of taxes while 90% of their citizens don't, so you can then pay 10x what those freeloading citizens do to enter these parks, along with other perks paid for on your dime. They should be worshipping the ground we walk on, not treating us like indentured servants.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

I will not be surprised with these results that the price for foreigners will go up even further.
Can they be proud of themselves again.
But they won't see me, for years I have refused to pay those ridiculous prices.

Where have you visited? Any of these parks have you ever visited?

1. Hat Noppharat Thara-Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park: 500,866,577 baht (13.6 million USD)
  2. Mu Ko Similan National Park: 243,655,470 baht (6.6 million USD)
  3. Khao Laem Ya-Mu Ko Samet National Park: 127,820,710 baht (3.4 million USD)
  4. Ao Phang Nga National Park: 114,226,610 baht (3.1 million USD)
  5. Doi Inthanon National Park: 100,545,505 baht (2.7 million USD)
Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

For the beer? 
I think if you add up all the money I save on cheaper beer here it will more than cover the cost of entry to a national park.

And then food, prostitutes, taxis, hotel accommodation I am miles ahead.

You're also the kind of guy who takes taxis without the meter,  right? Lol

I would have loved to contribute to the funds but I decided differently.

So happened when we wanted to visit Phu Thap Boek in a National Park. The map refers to a public road number 2331. My Thai spouse would be charged with 20 Baht while I, as a 40-years resident with PR, should have forked over 500 Baht.
Once the officer had taken the tickets of the block and invalidated them by tearing them apart I put my wallet back and said, that I changed my mind and come back once the racists have left the stage. 
To avoid being permanently banned on this platform I shall refrain from quoting the officer all the names he called me. Of course he had to pay these two tickets out of his own pocket as nobody would believe him. The CCTV cameras were installed by some loose wiring suggested no recording of the incident. He will hate the dirty farang for sure but over time might wonder, why tickets differentiate by skin colour ........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

You're also the kind of guy who takes taxis without the meter,  right? Lol

Yes, common in Thailand.

When in Rome. 

A farang will still pay less per km in an unmetered Bangkok taxi than a Thai will pay in a metered cab in the UK.

i always negotiate the price first when ordering take aways from beer bars though. And make sure they are going to provide the services I expect them to.

Been caught out before on that one as I am sure most of us have.

• Like 1

Less than the cost of two pints in the pub back in the UK.

Which pub? Just paid 370 baht for round of 3 good pints. But poor comparison, not untypical for folks just off the boat. Relatively it is a rip off, esp when many parks offer little and are poorly maintained, while UK National parks are free FOR ALL. 

5 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Yes, common in Thailand.

It wasn't always.

I never do.

When in Rome. 

Thais don't accept that BS. 

A farang will still pay less per km in an unmetered Bangkok taxi than a Thai will pay in a metered cab in the UK.

You are totally missing the point.

i always negotiate the price first when ordering take aways from beer bars though. And make sure they are going to provide the services I expect them to.

Nah, can't say I have, buddy.

6 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Yes, common in Thailand.

When in Rome. 

There you go again comparing with other countries. Who gives a flying one what a UK taxi charges? Defo off the boat. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

You are totally missing the point.

The point here it is cheaper here than in the UK.

So why would I complain about something that is cheaper.

Beer, taxis and hookers re that cheap here you don’t ask yourself “ Can I afford this” you ask yourself “Can I afford not to buy this” 

Maybe this will bother those on a meager monthly earning, but I didn’t come to Thailand to save money, I came to live a king. I ain’t going to put my poo face on and start squealing because the local thai taxpayers get a discount on entry prices. 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Where have you visited? Any of these parks have you ever visited?

1. Hat Noppharat Thara-Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park: 500,866,577 baht (13.6 million USD)
  2. Mu Ko Similan National Park: 243,655,470 baht (6.6 million USD)
  3. Khao Laem Ya-Mu Ko Samet National Park: 127,820,710 baht (3.4 million USD)
  4. Ao Phang Nga National Park: 114,226,610 baht (3.1 million USD)
  5. Doi Inthanon National Park: 100,545,505 baht (2.7 million USD)

In the more than 25 years I have lived here, I have visited most of these 'parks', and ao Pang Nga even by my own boat many times, with the park rangers, or collectors, whatever you want to call it, coming only when they felt like it.
What is your point?

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

I would have loved to contribute to the funds but I decided differently.

So happened when we wanted to visit Phu Thap Boek in a National Park. The map refers to a public road number 2331. My Thai spouse would be charged with 20 Baht while I, as a 40-years resident with PR, should have forked over 500 Baht.
Once the officer had taken the tickets of the block and invalidated them by tearing them apart I put my wallet back and said, that I changed my mind and come back once the racists have left the stage. 
To avoid being permanently banned on this platform I shall refrain from quoting the officer all the names he called me. Of course he had to pay these two tickets out of his own pocket as nobody would believe him. The CCTV cameras were installed by some loose wiring suggested no recording of the incident. He will hate the dirty farang for sure but over time might wonder, why tickets differentiate by skin colour ........

"He will hate the dirty farang for sure but over time might wonder, why tickets differentiate by skin colour ........ "

Then he will have to learn to think first, which they are not doing so well so far.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

In the more than 25 years I have lived here, I have visited most of these 'parks', and ao Pang Nga even by my own boat many times, with the park rangers, or collectors, whatever you want to call it, coming only when they felt like it.
What is your point?

You therefore have already paid and most visitors pay in the cost of the tour so don't even know they are paying. THese are holiday centres and the change in demogrphics since Covid has hugely increased th numbers - they are actually being concentrated in these few parks.

THe overall situation with National parks is quite different - All parks rely on government funding to some extent and dual pricing does nothing to help. THese figures suggest that Thai National Parks are making huge money when quite the opposite is true - moaning about dual pricing and saying you won't visit these parks is not the problem as I said in the OP.

• Haha 1

dual pricing is a pain and a bad idea - it is NOT racist (only a racist would think that) - I mean what do they hope to prove or improve with that comment?

National parks in Thailand are funded by entrance fees and government money - the fees are uni=versal in about 3 or three bands - but the parks vary immensely in size locations and number of visitors, so the whole pricing situation is just ridiculous - you can't paint them all with the same brush. Each park needs to be priced accordingly - 

Hyper Charging foreigners is a bad move both in terms of raising money and in public image.

Around the world the norm is to establish a fee based on the park's individual qualities and then give  "discounts" to various groups - e.g. students OAPs, locals etc.

THere have been studies a few years back that pointed out that the extra paid by foreigners in most parks does nothing to increase income - it just deters visitors.

One study on Khao Yai  also showed that levelling of the fees by raising the base rate and abolishing the foreigner rate was totally acceptable to Thai park visitors.

General management and conservation in National parks leaves a lot to be desired - politicians who are given this office are considered to have been "put out to grass" - there is underfunding, corruption poaching and encroachment all right under the noses  of the authorities.

Properly managed national parks can increase visitors and sustanable income and at the same time improve conservation. THe forests of Thailand are unique outside the amazon in that they are some of the last virgin forest in the region, they need to be conserved,managed and not over run by tour groups

Yes, common in Thailand.

When in Rome. 

what is sad is you don't seem to realise how facile that comment is.

6 minutes ago, kwilco said:

One study on Khao Yai  also showed that levelling of the fees by raising the base rate and abolishing the foreigner rate was totally acceptable to Thai park visitors.

Stop ya moaning.

i came here visa free for free.

If Thais want to visit the UK there is not only the visa application fee, which is non refundable if they reject them, but also the associated costs of traveling to the embassy, taking time off work etc etc. 

Tourist visa application fee to UK 5,555 baht. 

But other countries people to the UK is free, including all the white countries. So who is racist?

IMG_2420.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1