What is a low fat Thai dish?

Conan The Barbarian

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Saturated fat is good for you?

If you go eat a cow or a horse right now, it’s good for you. Why do you overcomolicate this? It’s not very complicated at all. My diet is largely eggs, olive oil, meat, fish, salads with olive oil and vinegar. I can’t gain weight if I tried. And I’m in great shape. So anyway… Do what you want with the info 

36 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

If you go eat a cow or a horse right now, it’s good for you. Why do you overcomolicate this? It’s not very complicated at all. My diet is largely eggs, olive oil, meat, fish, salads with olive oil and vinegar. I can’t gain weight if I tried. And I’m in great shape. So anyway… Do what you want with the info 

easy to put weight on eat more fat, nuts etc

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

easy to put weight on eat more fat, nuts etc

you were the guy advocating John McDougall diet info a while back, weren't you?

he just died at 77.

77 is pretty good, actually.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13568679/Dr-John-McDougall-invented-high-starch-vegan-diet-dies-aged-77.html

19 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

you were the guy advocating John McDougall diet info a while back, weren't you?

he just died at 77.

77 is pretty good, actually.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13568679/Dr-John-McDougall-invented-high-starch-vegan-diet-dies-aged-77.html

Yes great way to die in your sleep at 77, free from disease, dementia, Parkinson's and any other torturous illness

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hummin said:

I had to check, and I cant understand why it says high in protein, when only 2,6g per 100g. 

The problem is to get enough protein every day, and after you have met your protein, it really doesnt matter how balanced your other kalories is, but a good rule of thumb for anyone is 25% protein, 45% carb and 30% fat, and from there as long your protein is met, you can actually do whatever you want, as long you stay inside your total amount of kalories. If working out regulary, I would had higher protein intake. 

What else you need to consider is how nutrient your diet is, and add vitamins and minerals if necessery, and balance with enough fibers, as well.

This^^^ Get enough protein (71 kg =120-150g )is my main concern.  I let the mirror tell me if I'm I'm consuming too many carbs.  I rarely step on the scale which I think is not wise but I exercise enough to get away with it. 

When it comes down to it,  calories in  has to roughly equal calories out every week.  I get some have metabolic issues but most don't until they wreck their metabolism or even more rare, are  genetically challenged.  IMO, our society has created countless reason why it isn't an unhealthy persons fault that he/she is a physical mess. Odd how 75 years there was basically no  obesity.  Hyper-evolution?

To each his own and being unhealthy surely must have benefits other than the short lived carb rush.  Have  great friends that are obese and most are smarter than I(low bar).

5 minutes ago, atpeace said:

This^^^ Get enough protein (71 kg =120-150g )is my main concern.  I let the mirror tell me if I'm I'm consuming too many carbs.  I rarely step on the scale which I think is not wise but I exercise enough to get away with it. 

When it comes down to it,  calories in  has to roughly equal calories out every week.  I get some have metabolic issues but most don't until they wreck their metabolism or even more rare, are  genetically challenged.  IMO, our society has created countless reason why it isn't an unhealthy persons fault that he/she is a physical mess. Odd how 75 years there was basically no  obesity.  Hyper-evolution?

To each his own and being unhealthy surely must have benefits other than the short lived carb rush.  Have  great friends that are obese and most are smarter than I(low bar).

I have friends that is alcoholics, same same, they do not want to stop drinking. Eating unhealthy and to much, is the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2foYhMX8mMc

^^^ this is the issue I have with following the science.  The Doc ate 100 burgers(no bread) in 10 days to prove a point.  Carbs are a much bigger concern than fat!  His already good blood numbers improved.  I've known this for years because I get my blood numbers and other test regularly( before Covid).  Now once every couple years.

13 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I have friends that is alcoholics, same same, they do not want to stop drinking. Eating unhealthy and to much, is the same

We all have at least a little stupid in us.  I'm drinking whiskey now and drank coffee from 6m -9m this morning.  If my liver tests showed I had an issue I would stop immediately though.  Don't understand why people don't understand that it is important to be your own doctor.  It takes literally a day of googling health indicators and learning what they mean. Over a few years you will become much more knowledgeable than most experts in regards to "your" health.

Alternatively go to a doctor and have them tell you nothing important until it is blatantly obvious you are screwed.  Doctor are busy and unless you have loads of money to spend on quality health care, not knowing how to determine your own health seems crazy.

Edited by atpeace
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, atpeace said:

have friends that is alcoholics, same same, they do not want to stop drinking. Eating unhealthy and to much, is the same

We all have at least a little stupid in us.  I'm drinking whiskey now and drank coffee from 6m -9m this morning.  If my liver tests showed I had an issue I would stop immediately though.  Don't understand why people don't understand that it is important to be your own doctor.  It takes literally a day of googling health indicators and learning what they mean. Over a few years you will become much more knowledgeable than most experts in regards to "your" health. I have had doctors tell me the most insane things in regards to my health.

Alternatively go to a doctor and have them tell you nothing important until it is blatantly obvious you are screwed.  Doctor are busy and unless you have loads of money to spend on quality health care, not knowing how to determine your own health seems crazy.

Edited by atpeace

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Oils are liquid at room temperature, fats are solid.

Fats are usually higher in the glyceryl esters of saturated fatty acids such as palmitic and stearic acid. Oils contain more unsaturated fatty acids, variations of oleic, linoleic, and linolenic acid.

Liquidity also depends on whether the fat/oil has differing proportions of  monoglycerides, diglycerides, or triglycerides.

I have found a low fat option in cooking is an air fryer. I line the cooking basket with aluminium foil, and spray with a little olive oil to prevent sticking. No mess, no fuss.

Going into the properties of different oils and which is healthier was not necessary and I said as much. I was replying to the comment "a lower fat oil".

However, you are wrong about oils not being fats. Oils ARE fats. It's the state of the fat that had you confused.

Oils are liquid fats. When they are solid, they are solid fats, but they are always fats.

Of course, coconut oil is confusing, as it is solid below 24C and liquid above 24C. Should we call it coconut fat at lower temperatures due to it being solid? I don't think so - even when solid it's still called coconut oil.

When we put solid fats such as butter or lard in a frying pan and it melts and it becomes a liquid, we don't call it oil.

Fat is a macronutrient which provides 9 kcal per gram of energy. The state of it is irrelevant, whether it is solid or liquid.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, VBF said:

Rapeseed oil, widely available and cheaper than olive oil in UK, but I don't know about Thailand.

I've now got to where I prefer it for cooking. It's also much easier to clean from utensils which, to me, shows that it's lighter.

The best cooking oils are ones that are stable at heat so it doesn't break down into toxic chemicals.

Overheating certain oils can create byproducts such as acrylamides, toxic aldehydes, hydroxy linoleate, free radicals, and trans fats. The more saturated the oil the better. Coconut oil is one of the best and we are lucky to have such an abundant supply of it at a cheap price.

I never have problems cleaning pans after using coconut oil.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

A matter of opinion like most things, it's saturated fat, i avoid it

Your choice is based on uneducated opinions. Mine is based on facts.

There is only one fact to consider here. The more saturated a fat is, the more stable it is when heated. 

Unsaturated fats should be consumed cold. They should not be used for frying. Have you ever heard of cold processing of highly unsaturated oils? There's a good reason not to apply heat - they are easily oxidized, which is not a good thing as it produces toxic byproducts.

Edited by JensenZ

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

A matter of opinion like most things, it's saturated fat, i avoid it

Saturated fat is only bad for you if you’re a fat ass, which most people are. It’s not very complicated in my estimation. There’s a lot of actual bad foods people,eat often, and they don’t know they are bad. Saturated fat isn’t one of them. 

• Agree 2

On 6/27/2024 at 8:17 AM, JensenZ said:

That was quite funny: "a lower fat oil".

All oil is 100% fat which produces 9 kcal per gram.

What oils are healthier is a different topic, but the OP is looking for low-fat meals to reduce calories.

what's the point of lower calories ?   and lower fat ?

total opposite approach to a healthy "Human" diet

5 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

https://youtu.be/8ctDyQDIWAc?si=s4k_EPrY13v2wcWB&t=1035

everyone makes this so difficult. It’s not. Nobody understand that’s why everyone is fat with man tits

saturated fat does not make you fat

sugar / carbs / alcohol make you fat

start drinking skim milk,,  and watch what happens to your waist line

1 hour ago, Luuk Chaai said:

saturated fat does not make you fat

sugar / carbs / alcohol make you fat

start drinking skim milk,,  and watch what happens to your waist line

Wrong, again matter of opinion, i eat high carb low fat, fit and athletic. Many of the experts on these diet threads are fatsos

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

• Rapeseed oil: This is the original oil extracted from the rapeseed plant. It can be used for industrial purposes like lubrication, but its high erucic acid content makes it unsuitable for eating.
  • Canola oil: This is a type of rapeseed oil that has been bred to have low levels of erucic acid and glucosinolates (which can give a bitter taste). Canola stands for "Canadian oil, low acid" and is generally recognized as safe for consumption.

In most places, like North America and Australia, "canola oil" is the term you'll see on grocery store shelves. Rapeseed oil, if available, is likely for industrial uses.

Indeed  (and also to @gamb00ler )  in UK it's definitely sold as Rapeseed oil  - available in most supermarkets. I've never seen Canola oil here, but then I've never actually looked for it.

IMG_20240628_090612.jpg

Edited by VBF

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Wrong, again matter of opinion, i eat high carb low fat, fit and athletic. Many of the experts on these diet threads are fatsos

I did the same for 30 years but now don't worry about the fat and feel great. If you exercise volume is high, then carbs are definitely OK which I do.  For your average person that exercises little to none, carbs are awful if not monitored closely which most don't.  carbs are deadly IMO and wreck peoples quality of life and this is coming from someone that might eat more carbs than anyone on this forum.

8 hours ago, atpeace said:

I did the same for 30 years but now don't worry about the fat and feel great. If you exercise volume is high, then carbs are definitely OK which I do.  For your average person that exercises little to none, carbs are awful if not monitored closely which most don't.  carbs are deadly IMO and wreck peoples quality of life and this is coming from someone that might eat more carbs than anyone on this forum.

The problem is people eat the wrong carbs, deep fried chips, pizzas, cakes, pastries, ice cream, it's not difficult but people get confused easily, avoid processed food often high fat

• Agree 1