What is the best way to invest money in Thailand?

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Amulets, duck farms, cattle, land (it would have to be in your wife's name, but that's no problem)

Investing in wife and life is an good investment if it makes you happy. 

Farm land with at least a 15 yr strategy if you're married to a Thai lady (or now, man) and are confident in your marriage lasting permanently.

Otherwise, just give me 2 million and I'll make you a millionaire within 24 hrs.

16 hours ago, MichaelJackson said:

I'm looking to invest money in Thailand and wondering what the best options are. Any advice on real estate, stocks, or other investment opportunities that have worked well for you?

The best investment in Thailand has always been no investment in Thailand.  Rent, and pay as you.  It's been a proven money maker over decades, and may save your life. 

RE has worked out very nicely for us, but you need a trusted, like minded, intelligent Thai  for that.  Along with lots of your own previous experience to be successful.   Not recommended for the novice.

Best to simply live here, if that's one's choice, and keep you investment elsewhere and do what you know best, and works there.

On 6/26/2024 at 11:36 AM, MichaelJackson said:

I'm looking to invest money in Thailand and wondering what the best options are. Any advice on real estate, stocks, or other investment opportunities that have worked well for you?

BTL worked for us in a Moo Bahn popular with  Thais and foreigners alike Avoid a mortgage so your name can be on a usufruct. Also consider govt. savings bonds but these in your wife’s name. And don’t forget to insist on your wife writing a will with you as main benefactor. Also consider opening a shop selling products like vinyl and hi Fi gear. Not a coffee shop but maybe a tea room in the right location during the daylight hours and a wine shop in the evenings. Good luck.

Unless you are Thai or are somehow getting money in THB I'm not sure why you'd invest in Thailand.  I have almost nothing here, other than some domestic appliances and payment of 50% of the price of a car (which is actually in my wife's name).  My wife owns quite a bit of land and property, including a couple of condos which are rented out. She also owns two small businesses that are run by family.  It all seems to be profitable, but the profits are small.  In the UK she owns 50% of a small hotel/restaurant business and that is very profitable - the return dwarfs what she gets from her Thai enterprises.

I am interested in buying property for my 2 Thai sons. Not condos. I was previously thinking of a house or townhouse each, maybe to make a restaurant downstairs, then can rent the whole lot out.

But now I'm looking at buying a dormitory near a university for them. With a house or condo the tenants may leave and it's empty for a few months generating zero. Dormitories provide a much more reliable source of income, it's not likely that all 30 or 40 tenants are suddenly going to leave at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jarse said:

BTL worked for us in a Moo Bahn popular with  Thais and foreigners alike Avoid a mortgage so your name can be on a usufruct. 

can you please explain how BTL works? what kind of garantee do you have?

i am not sure, are we takling about  "jam nuang" or "khaai-faak", done be the landoffice?

4 hours ago, motdaeng said:

i am not sure, are we takling about  "jam nuang" or "khaai-faak", done be the landoffice?

4 hours ago, motdaeng said:

BTL only works when a Thai buys and then registers in their name . The chanot can then be endorsed with you as usufructee but you can’t have a mortgage as bank needs to hold the title deed and they don’t allow any other interested party apart from the Thai owner. Non Thais can’t do this so you must gamble on a long and healthy marriage.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I opened a BLS trading account in 2018 mostly b/c we (my family) banked with Bangkok Bank (BBL) over period of 3 years I built a small dividend portfolio which covers my living expenses in Thailand.

Most investment platforms will assign you an advisor - which is useful when we encountered technical issues. I don't use the advisor other wise. Foreigners can have cash investment accounts, margin accounts (requires a lot of paper work) and special ETF and bond buying options if you are well funded.

We keep it simple and have enough dividend income cover living expenses after the 10% thai tax.

BTW I'm CFP designated without the international designation so I do my own research.

Tips: become member of SET to access financial statements in English.

Disclaimer:

I am not an investment professional; consult your professional investment advisor and/or legal counsel and/or professional accountant before making any investment decision. While all reasonable effort is made to ensure the accuracy of information and data contained herein, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Past performance is not a good predictor of future performance. Results are not guaranteed and I assume no liability whatsoever for any material losses that may occur. No compensation for suggesting particular securities or financial advisors is solicited or accepted. The information in this document is not intended to be educational, nor does it constitute financial advice nor is it a suggestion or recommendation. Investing is risky and may result in substantial losses.

4 minutes ago, oceanbluejewell said:

I opened a BLS trading account in 2018 mostly b/c we (my family) banked with Bangkok Bank (BBL) over period of 3 years I built a small dividend portfolio which covers my living expenses in Thailand.

Most investment platforms will assign you an advisor - which is useful when we encountered technical issues. I don't use the advisor other wise. Foreigners can have cash investment accounts, margin accounts (requires a lot of paper work) and special ETF and bond buying options if you are well funded.

We keep it simple and have enough dividend income cover living expenses after the 10% thai tax.

BTW I'm CFP designated without the international designation so I do my own research.

Tips: become member of SET to access financial statements in English.

Disclaimer:

I am not an investment professional; consult your professional investment advisor and/or legal counsel and/or professional accountant before making any investment decision. While all reasonable effort is made to ensure the accuracy of information and data contained herein, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Past performance is not a good predictor of future performance. Results are not guaranteed and I assume no liability whatsoever for any material losses that may occur. No compensation for suggesting particular securities or financial advisors is solicited or accepted. The information in this document is not intended to be educational, nor does it constitute financial advice nor is it a suggestion or recommendation. Investing is risky and may result in substantial losses.

Hi,

I opened similar thread not long ago. Do you mind sharing the stocks in your investment portfolio? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

On 6/26/2024 at 6:01 AM, marin said:

When are you going to start a thread on how to use a "bum gun"? You have already asked a lot of questions that are answered on a daily basis. 

For christ sake my coffee has just sprayed everywhere....😂

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Why would anyone invest markets they are not fully familiar with on exchanges they haven't previously used?

Why not just trade via an app in your home country??

My Thai gf would be investing. Her home country is Thailand. Investing in different jurisdiction other than your home country brings tax complications.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gearbox said:

My Thai gf would be investing. Her home country is Thailand. Investing in different jurisdiction other than your home country brings tax complications.

Got ya!

Cheers

On 6/26/2024 at 8:19 AM, Sandboxer said:

Farm land with at least a 15 yr strategy if you're married to a Thai lady (or now, man) and are confident in your marriage lasting permanently.

Otherwise, just give me 2 million and I'll make you a millionaire within 24 hrs.

My gf has people in the family with durian farms claiming they are having quite a good revenue, but I'm quite suspicious. I haven't seen a profit and loss statement from a farm, so I suspect they count the revenue as profit without deducting expenses. If a small farm generates 1 million in revenue but 3 people work full time and has heaps of other expenses in the end there is not much money left.

On the other end I've seen a major newspaper article about the durian farmers in Thailand and Malaysia making good money and buying pickups with cash.

IMO a farm to make some money here need to be big enough, in the south that probably requires 10-20 million baht investment.

investment in Thailand. #ROFL

AFAIK there's no transparent and independent auditing, even banks do some "creative accounting" 

The only investment is motorcycle/car rent shops in tourist areas. the rest is donkey dung.