Foreigner’s key theft at Chon Buri hotel unlocks social media storm - video

snoop1130

15 hours ago, NE1 said:

then maybe no law was broken

I believe there are specific criminal laws regarding "Theft of Services" such as skipping out on a restaurant or hotel tab.  In the last year I remember reading a number of stories reporting the arrest of "Dine and Dash" culprits.

We all know of social media's "Try this trick to get an airline upgrade, it really works!" crap.   Might there be similar pages for getting free hotel rooms, like "If you take a room kay, they have to let you stay there!   Maybe he read one of those or, maybe, he was trying to create a new one.

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Can you us show even a single way Thai law differs from US, or UK or any other other jurisdictions in a case of hotel guests asked to leave? We are not on an alien planet here.

https://hotels.uslegal.com/removal-of-guests/#:~:text=An innkeeper exercising his%2Fher,request the guest to depart.

Removal of Guests 

「In order to remain in the hotel a guest must behave properly.  A guest must pay the amount charged.  A guest becomes a trespasser when s/he conducts himself/herself improperly.  A guest becomes a trespasser when s/he conducts himself/herself in a disorderly manner and refuses to leave upon request.

Has he been accused of behaving improperly? Let us assume that he has paid for his room. If so, then he hasn't stolen the key. She can always give him a refund of what he has paid, but she cannot ask him to leave whilst keeping his payment.

Ex-boyfriend perhaps? Otherwise it's a bit strange that she addresses him by a short form of his first name.

16 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

With the use of 2-3 Thai bouncers the problem would be solved within 2 minutes:coffee1:

Oh dear...looks like a transam clone...

What if her story is nowhere close to the full picture? It seems that people here get 'triggered'by even a headline.

5 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Yes, hotels can kick you out, but only under certain circumstances and with proper notice.  One of the circumstances just happens to be... If a guest fails to pay the fees associated with their stay, including room charges, taxes, and any incidental expenses, the hotel may have the right to remove them from the premises.

My reply was to a reply to a post that suggested that he may have prepaid for his stay. In this case, he is not trespassing. 

30 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Has he been accused of behaving improperly? Let us assume that he has paid for his room. If so, then he hasn't stolen the key. She can always give him a refund of what he has paid, but she cannot ask him to leave whilst keeping his payment.

Ex-boyfriend perhaps? Otherwise it's a bit strange that she addresses him by a short form of his first name.

I am just guessing he behaved badly. Why else would he be asked to leave, and later make her so enraged? Maybe he stayed long enough to prove his status as completely undesirable and meanwhile she learned the short form of his first name. 

Trespass is trespass. Once the guest is asked to leave by management and fail to comply the guest becomes a Tresspasser  in material breach of Thai criminal code. Despite the plebian opionions voiced here It does not matter the reason, or if the management is wrong, or if the guest  ”already paid”. 

Of course theHotel should return any unused deposit or prepayment but that is a matter of breach of contract that should be dealt with by the affected parties at an appropriate time.

Edited by Captain Monday

30 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I am just guessing he behaved badly. Why else would he be asked to leave, and later make her so enraged? Maybe he stayed long enough to prove his status as completely undesirable and meanwhile she learned the short form of his first name. 

Trespass is trespass. Once the guest is asked to leave by management and fail to comply the guest becomes a Tresspasser  in material breach of Thai criminal code. Despite the plebian opionions voiced here It does not matter the reason, or if the management is wrong, or if the guest  ”already paid”. 

Of course theHotel should return any unused deposit or prepayment but that is a matter of breach of contract that should be dealt with by the affected parties at an appropriate time.

Exactly, you are just guessing. But the accusation is that he stole a key, nothing else. No report of bad behaviour. I'm guessing he stays because she refuses to refund him.

I don't get triggered, automatically shouting 'hang him high' through a mere headline.

The rest of your post is simply a figment of your imagination. If you pay, you have a contract. The management cannot apply rules abitrarily. They can ask you to leave, but they have to compensate you for doing so.

Imagine that if you have a contract to stay somewhere and when you arrive the management notice that you are covered in tattoos and become afraid. Do you become a trespasser if they ask you to leave? Use your intelligence man. If he has paid, he is not a trespasser. The management/owner can request him to leave by fully refunding him and thereby nullifying their contract...if he agrees.

She learned the short form of his name because he was being undesirable? Do you ever read what you write before pressing the button to submit your reply? It's quite ridiculous.

Short form denotes that they became acquainted. She would have his full name via his passport. No one in my building uses a short form of my first name. 

Edited by NowNow
  • Haha 1

Perhaps he had a night out on the sauce and lost his key. Staggered back drunk, saw a spare key hanging up behind reception for his room number. Maybe the nighttime 'security' asleep/drunk. Helped himself to the key and slept it off?

Maybe that's her problem? Nobody knows with the information provided in the original story.

Probably more to this than first meets the eye, maybe?

By the way, anyone happen to notice the height of that balcony rail? Barely thigh high! It might not have been too difficult for him to have "jumped" because he was trying to "escape". If the landlord was a man who was similarly emotionally whacked, I could imagine such a scenario getting physical and actually happening....

9 hours ago, smedly said:

was his intention not to pay, this is a really weird story, did he have booking that he prepaid and there was some dispute over the booking, I'd like to hear his version of the story

My understanding from the story is he paid to stay there for a period of time, then when he left he stole the key so he could return and access the room for free to get extra nights without paying. 

Presumably he knew the place is not busy and the room would be vacant upon his return. 

Quite how he checked out without handing back the key is an unanswered question.

5 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

The farang is in the wrong but we have the Thai bashing farang apologists out it force with a lot of whataboutism nonsense.

You should hear what the ties are saying about 75% ownership of condominiums by foreigners. I quote the government making 75% ownership of condominiums is going to make us Thai people third world people in our own country.

Before jumping to any conclusion, ask yourself, how did he manage to steal the key? and the answer is either staff left reception unattented, or left key in the open, unsecured 

Next answer this, why hotel does not have spare set of keys? How unprofessional is that?

Next, once police was called, and did not arrive, why hotel did not call again?

Next, why hotel did not cut off electric? easily done.

Next, if he already stayed the night, again how unprofessional are the staff NOT to know their guests and available rooms.

After hearing owners voice and behavior, its hardly surprising this happened  and if anything scary, hotel that does not provide any safety or security for the guests assuming what happened is true, as there is another possibility, which is staff skimming and selling rooms on the side

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

In the wrong he may be, but does that justify the ridiculous hysterical response from the owner? and is a story like this really worthy of the evening news??

think about it for a second. what does running a story like this on the evening news achieve?

bob.

Ad revenue - people love to gossip and this 'non-event' ticks certain boxes that drum up attention. 

The manner in which the woman goes off at the foreigner implies she is clearly bonkers - I think most people would ignore her.

As to the foreigner 'stealing the key'... thats what she said, but is she to be beleived given the insanity on display. 

Could the Op have pre-paid for his hotel stay, which is why he was holding the key ?

Or, did he really try to pull a fast one - and never returned the keys from a previous stay and attempted to stay extra nights ?

-------

IMO - a simple 'guess' as to what happened.

- Op agreed and pre-paid a certain amount of nights.

- Went to extend, no one at reception, so went out for his night out and returned to his room. 

- At this point the owner / female over-reacted. 

I've done similar in my younger days... a lot of places are (were) quite relaxed...  we'd book a few days and stay longer, paying the extra when we happened to see someone at the reception... these places were fairly chilled low-key back-packer type places....  

Of course, given the madness we see in Thailand - its entirely possible the story is exactly as reported - but I'm naturally suspicious of these stories when the account of only one side is reported.

• Like 1

Just now, cardinalblue said:

The tourist is wrong but what a lovely hotel  owner….shows her low life character 

did she need to have verbal diarrhea? What did it accomplish other than show her true colors….

Is the tourist wrong ??? - we only have the account of the owner, and she seems just a tad 'batshyite-crazy'... 

In the 'haste' to get a report out there we rarely get both sides of story, instead an a source rushes to hit the media as quickly as possible... speed is all that matters to them, not accuracy...

As stated in the article... 

In the video, the foreign man is seen on the hotel room balcony defending himself but his words are inaudible. The hotel owner shouted at him in Thai.

No one was actually interested in what he had to say then ?

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, NowNow said:

My reply was to a reply to a post that suggested that he may have prepaid for his stay. In this case, he is not trespassing. 

It is the hotel who determines if he prepaid or paid... not him... he may have sent money to a fake booking agent and thought that he was prepaid... not the hotels responsibility... it's not up to him to take a key without the hotel's permission... that is trespassing.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

It is the hotel who determines if he prepaid or paid... not him... he may have sent money to a fake booking agent and thought that he was prepaid... not the hotels responsibility... it's not up to him to take a key without the hotel's permission... that is trespassing.

He was a previous guest, known to the owner. Perhaps in some kind of relationship. She claimed that she chased him away the night before. That sounds strange doesn't it?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, NowNow said:

He was a previous guest, known to the owner. Perhaps in some kind of relationship. She claimed that she chased him away the night before. That sounds strange doesn't it?

Doesn't change the fact that when he was asked to leave and did not but rather stole a key and locked himself in a room that he was legally in the wrong.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 10:12 PM, NowNow said:

Exactly, you are just guessing. But the accusation is that he stole a key, nothing else. No report of bad behaviour. I'm guessing he stays because she refuses to refund him.

I don't get triggered, automatically shouting 'hang him high' through a mere headline.

The rest of your post is simply a figment of your imagination. If you pay, you have a contract. The management cannot apply rules abitrarily. They can ask you to leave, but they have to compensate you for doing so.

Imagine that if you have a contract to stay somewhere and when you arrive the management notice that you are covered in tattoos and become afraid. Do you become a trespasser if they ask you to leave? Use your intelligence man. If he has paid, he is not a trespasser. The management/owner can request him to leave by fully refunding him and thereby nullifying their contract...if he agrees.

She learned the short form of his name because he was being undesirable? Do you ever read what you write before pressing the button to submit your reply? It's quite ridiculous.

Short form denotes that they became acquainted. She would have his full name via his passport. No one in my building uses a short form of my first name. 

What a puerile and vainglorious post.  Confused, suggesting  the typical half-baked Britannic misunderstanding of one’s  “rights” under contract. 

Are you perhaps one of those ridiculous passengers who would refuse to leave their cabin seat on an airplane such as during an oversell situation when ordered to deplane by airline staff just because you “ already paid for it” ?  

*Before contributing additional ludicrous submissions I suggest you review section 364 of the Thai criminal code, carefully. 

Edited by Captain Monday

15 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

What a puerile and vainglorious post. Typically confused and suggesting  the typical half-baked Britannic misunderstanding of one’s  “rights” under contract. 

Are you perhaps one of those ridiculous passengers who would refuse to leave their cabin seat on an airplane such as during an oversell situation when ordered to deplane by airline staff just because you “paid for it” ?  

Before contributing additional ludicrous submissions I suggest you review section 364 of the Thai criminal code, carefully. 

I reviewed the aforementioned, carefully. It refers to someone entering without reasonable cause. I'd say having a prepaid booking/contract gives you reasonable cause to enter said building. 

Your strawman argument was laughable....ludicrous even.