Digital Wallet Scheme Delayed Over Detail Shortage

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The government envisages that this digital wallet initiative would inject a much-needed financial boost to its citizens.

A populist plan not even endorsed by the MFP. From the day of its original announcement, never been funds to pay for it, even now with the new global income tax scheme. I can appreciate this vision but the "government" is not truly the "government" of the Thai people despite its gift-giving bait used by the Prayut government to garner public election support (which failed spectacularly in 2023).

Fix the economy, not the people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

This is a vote-buying scam. Sadly some Thais are not capable of figuring that out.

The voting population figured it out perfectly. (They get paid even in local elections, except there it is cash in hand.)

They are just waiting to get the money.

If they do not get the 10,000 baht, then the next election will be interesting.

• Agree 2

If they really wanted to give everybody 10,000 baht, they could do it without the digital wallet. This is just an attempt to lure people into slavery via a central bank digital currency that can track all expenditures, as well as prevent anyone who opposes the regime from being able to spend their money. It's a totalitarian's dream. I hope it doesn't go through.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

If they really wanted to give everybody 10,000 baht, they could do it without the digital wallet. This is just an attempt to lure people into slavery via a central bank digital currency that can track all expenditures, as well as prevent anyone who opposes the regime from being able to spend their money. It's a totalitarian's dream. I hope it doesn't go through.

It is a clever way to ensure the money is spent where they want it to be spent.

As with every scheme in Thailand, where the money will end up and who it benefits is always the most important consideration. 

Cannot have too much of the handouts going on utility bills or essentials. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

citing insufficient details about the project

Good that they delayed this scam.

If it would be designed to help the people and the economy in general, then they would make it transparent and publish all the details.

The fact that there is no independent impact study (at least as far as I know), and not official detailed plan, and no transparency, are clear indicators that the Thaksin government is planning another scam to make billions for the already rich and powerful.

Stop them!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The fact that there is no independent impact study (at least as far as I know), and not official detailed plan, and no transparency, are clear indicators that the Thaksin government is planning another scam to make billions for the already rich and powerful.

Normal for anything that the Thais do in my experience.