Supreme Court Upholds Death Penalty for Ex-Pheu Thai MP Banyin Tangpakorn

On 6/28/2024 at 3:15 AM, webfact said:

The Supreme Court’s decision underscores the gravity of his actions and serves as a stark reminder of the ramifications of abusing power.

The ramifications of murdering people, surely?

On 6/28/2024 at 9:00 AM, khunjeff said:

Police officer, MP, and cabinet minister - and involved in three murders. The mind boggles.

Thank god the army, monkhood and educational system are morally sound or the country would be a shambles. 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Is there clarity on the criteria for when they do vs when they don't?

There doesn't seem to be much!  Two drug dealers were executed in 2009, then no one for years!   Then out of the blue someone was executed for aggravated murder in 2018, but to my knowledge there hasn't been anyone since then.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There doesn't seem to be much!  Two drug dealers were executed in 2009, then no one for years!   Then out of the blue someone was executed for aggravated murder in 2018, but to my knowledge there hasn't been anyone since then.

Mmmm, so it's a movable feast that depends on someone's entirely subjective view of how horrid the crime was. On that basis it would be hard to resist a movement to abolish the death penalty.

On 6/28/2024 at 1:02 PM, edwinchester said:

Not totally rotten as he seems to have steered clear of heroin trafficking.

That would have been OK and ensure a senior job in the goverment. 

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2024 at 8:38 AM, khunPer said:

Anybody that knows why handcuffs are pixelated in Thai news-photos..?
(Might have been asked before, but then I've missed it.)

They are pixelated just in case the photo offends anyone without hands! There must be some people out there in the big wide world that do not have hands either through birth defects or an accident or through being caught twice shoplifting bread in Saudi Arabia!  Or maybe someone who identifies as having no hands! One never knows! Hands up who agrees with me...

Edited by AngryMan
changed a word for gramaical correctness
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2024 at 2:02 PM, Dogmatix said:

Many have also been found not guilty from modern DNA evidence after being executed.

What is egregious about this case is that the murderer assumed that he could kill with impunity owing to his status, connections and money, most acquired through corruption and other criminal activities. For a long time it looked like he would get away with it. Many other similar types have gotten away with it.

And he also believed that he was smart enough to successfully stage deadly accidents and that so smart / clever nobody would discover his game.

On 6/27/2024 at 9:15 PM, webfact said:

dFQROr7oWzulq5Fa4VRQ3K3XgY68cZIEwGLMlFRa1lJLTaDfhSnosrkxxNrf8va0rZj.webp

The Supreme Court of Thailand has upheld the death penalty for Banyin Tangpakorn, a former Pheu Thai MP and cabinet member, marking a decisive end to a high-profile and grisly murder case. 

Banyin was found guilty of orchestrating the premeditated murder of Chuwong Sae Tang, a wealthy construction magnate, in a staged car accident in Bangkok's Prawet district in 2015. The court determined that Banyin, who was driving the car with Chuwong seated beside him, deliberately crashed the vehicle into a roadside tree to cover up the homicide.

The ruling not only reaffirmed the Appeals Court’s earlier sentencing but also closed a dark chapter involving the former police lieutenant colonel. Shifted from his role as a law enforcer to that of a lawbreaker, Banyin used his insider knowledge to carry out and disguise his crime, a factor that played heavily against him in court.

Chuwong's murder was particularly shocking due to Banyin's calculated efforts to stage the scene as an accidental crash. The initial investigation faced numerous challenges, given Banyin's sophisticated attempt at a cover-up. However, evidence eventually revealed the premeditated nature of the crime, leading to his conviction.

Banyin's criminal activities weren't confined to this single incident. Before his 2020 arrest, he had been implicated in another deceptive car accident in 1991, where he survived but a woman lost her life. This case, however, didn't lead to a conviction. Furthermore, Banyin was also accused of involvement in the 2020 murder of a judge's brother, adding to his notoriety.

In the wake of his sentencing, the former MP attempted suicide in prison, underscoring the severity of his situation. The Supreme Court’s decision underscores the gravity of his actions and serves as a stark reminder of the ramifications of abusing power.

Picture courtesy:Thai Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-28

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Sadly rather than being unique in Thailand it is par for the course in many fields of power and industry. 

Death penalty is just a mark of how uncivilised Thailand can be.

On 6/28/2024 at 8:38 AM, khunPer said:

Anybody that knows why handcuffs are pixelated in Thai news-photos..?
(Might have been asked before, but then I've missed it.)

I don't know, and to be honest I hadn't noticed.

If I had to guess I'd say the picture was taken and published before all the legal avenues had been finished, meaning he was still at the stage of being innocent until proven guilty. It's still obvious that he's handcuffed, but then again bodies of suicide victims hung by rope and genitalia are obvious even when pixilated, but they still do it. 

Of course this doesn't seem to happen to everyone who's arrested and cuffed but he might be important,  and or wealthy enough to not have the cuffs shown.

Plus of course, "this is Thailand".

• Thanks 1