Stocking a large fish pond

Hi all, first post here.  Treat me gently please!

I have a recently-dug large pond on our land in Roi Et province.  It's a pleasant irregular shape but is about 73M x 30M at its extremeties, so about 2,000 sq metres.  It's 4M deep.

I have been advised by the nearby fish farm that we can stock it with giant catfish, carp, ruby fish and giant snakehead.  Apparently, he says they will all get on fine if there is sufficient food (I'm happy to buy it and feed them) and space.  These fish are just to populate the pond and keep it healthy.  I have separate plans to raise Tilapia for our table in a much smaller pond on a relative's nearby farm.

However, my research tells me that catfish can eat other fish and, possibly worse, snakeheads are highly predatory and will eat other fish and their own species.

What is the truth here?  Comments and advice welcomed.

First Cat fish walk on land, and need proper fence. 

Best to keep one fish specie, Cat fish you never got rid of, survive the drought dry season.

• Like 1

In our pond we have Bla Dok, Walking Catfish, and Bla Nin, Nile Tilapia as well as Bla Maw, Jungle Perch, and Bla Chon, Snake head fish they all live together without any problems.

The Snake head will eat the young of other fish, but again never a problem for us ,always more young fish, fry, than thay can eat, and yes, your giant catfish Bla Chor-door, will eat other bigger fish, might not be a good idea to include them in your pond.

The walking cat fish will get out if the water level is high, we lose a few each year, the wife has put up some shad cloth in places just to deter them. 

Just in general, plan it carefully and consider all details like type of fish, size of fish, food, who will look after it, etc.

A couple of years ago a friend of my gf convinced her to have a pond and fish and feed them and later sell them.

The whole project was a long series of disasters. I don't remember many details and I don't want to think about it anymore, but it was amazing how many things can go wrong.

So, whatever you so, do it carefully.

We bought 1000 tilapia fingerlings a couple of years ago - our pond is about 1 rai... the family and gardeners fish them out for dinner sometimes... we feed them in the morning... not much else goes on.. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's a big pond, but everyone's farming fish these days, why not start a small croc farm? Nice handbags and boots for the missus, at the very least! lol

c1_2055831.jpg

• Haha 2

On 7/1/2024 at 11:04 PM, IsaanT said:

However, my research tells me that catfish can eat other fish and, possibly worse, snakeheads are highly predatory and will eat other fish and their own species.

Thai friend told me they put snakeheads in the pond because they grow fast on eating other fish. can hear them striking at first light sometimes.

• Agree 2

Right, first are you after lure fishing or just bait fishing, or not fishing at all?

You stock about one fish (fingerling) per square metre, so about 2,000 fish max. Put to many in and they will be stunted, even if you feed a lot.

If lure fishing, then snakeheads are OK. Giant snakeheads - maybe not, they will eat pretty large tilapia, for instance. Could put in some barramundi (sea perch in Thailand); They will not breed but could be fun. Red tailed catfish also predatory. Need to stock some fodder fish for them to eat; maybe Plaa tapien (java Barb), or tilapia.

If bait fishing lots of options. All the following fish not really predators, although maybe eat some small fish. Mekong catfish, Striped catfish, various carps (Catla, Rohu, common carp, mud carp). Pacu (plaa Jeramid) are very pretty when young, but do have sharp teeth, related to Piranhas, but omnivores, they like Jackfruit, but will eat anything. Giant Gourami (plaa rat). Tilapia. Walking catfish also omnivores, but as said, will Walk!

If just for show, no fishing, then yes Koi carp. Taptim, the yellow tilapia, will also look good, and cheaper....

Depending on if there are other water bodies close by, you may get wild fish getting into your pond - particularly small gouramis, climbing perch (plaa mor) and of course snakeheads

Lots of other species, but some hard to get. If you look on the internet there are quite a few sites (e.g. famous fishing lakes) which will provide pictures and brief descriptions

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Guderian said:

That's a big pond, but everyone's farming fish these days, why not start a small croc farm? Nice handbags and boots for the missus, at the very least! lol

c1_2055831.jpg

Plus you can get rid of unwanted neighbours

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2024 at 3:40 AM, rickudon said:

Right, first are you after lure fishing or just bait fishing, or not fishing at all?

You stock about one fish (fingerling) per square metre, so about 2,000 fish max. Put to many in and they will be stunted, even if you feed a lot.

If lure fishing, then snakeheads are OK. Giant snakeheads - maybe not, they will eat pretty large tilapia, for instance. Could put in some barramundi (sea perch in Thailand); They will not breed but could be fun. Red tailed catfish also predatory. Need to stock some fodder fish for them to eat; maybe Plaa tapien (java Barb), or tilapia.

If bait fishing lots of options. All the following fish not really predators, although maybe eat some small fish. Mekong catfish, Striped catfish, various carps (Catla, Rohu, common carp, mud carp). Pacu (plaa Jeramid) are very pretty when young, but do have sharp teeth, related to Piranhas, but omnivores, they like Jackfruit, but will eat anything. Giant Gourami (plaa rat). Tilapia. Walking catfish also omnivores, but as said, will Walk!

If just for show, no fishing, then yes Koi carp. Taptim, the yellow tilapia, will also look good, and cheaper....

Depending on if there are other water bodies close by, you may get wild fish getting into your pond - particularly small gouramis, climbing perch (plaa mor) and of course snakeheads

Lots of other species, but some hard to get. If you look on the internet there are quite a few sites (e.g. famous fishing lakes) which will provide pictures and brief descriptions

I am thinking of a larger pond with aeration and any supporting bio for baramundie for table use.

Not looking to experiment wildly but get best info for healthy foodchain to be close to natural without supplied food.

If anyone knows of natural ish baramundie examples in Thailand or SE Asia then I would be grateful here in Buriram region