Why do so many millions of travelers really think Thailand is so wonderful?

Alpha84

I've been thinking a lot lately about why foreigners might think Thailand is so wonderful and, thus I'm trying to truly figure out why. What is it about the country that draws so many people in?

There are the obvious things everyone talks about: the beaches, the vibrant nightlife, the elephants, the bustling markets, the food, and the temples. These are all fantastic attractions, but I wonder if there's something deeper that makes Thailand such a chosen destination. Is it merely just an issue of lower cost, lax everything, and more bang for your buck?

Let's start with the beaches. Sure, they're gorgeous, but what makes them truly special? Is it the sense of peace you feel when you watch the sunset over the horizon, or the warm, friendly vibe surrounding many of the beach areas? Thailand certainly isn't the only place in SE Asia with nice beaches. Many of the other countries have them too including Vietnam, Philippines, etc. So why are Thai beaches so great?

Then there's the nightlife. Bangkok and Pattaya are famous for their lively scenes as we know. But beyond the clubs and bars, isn't it the energy and the diversity of experiences that makes nightlife anywhere unforgettable? The street food, the late-night markets, the chance to meet people from all over the world—these elements add a unique flavor to Thailand's nightlife, maybe?

The elephants seem to be another big draw. They're magnificent creatures, and seeing them up close is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. But is it really something people will travel half way around the world for?

Markets and temples are also high on the list. The markets are a sensory overload with their sights, sounds, and smells. And they also offer a glimpse into the daily lives of Thai people and their rich culinary traditions. But nearly every country in Asia has fresh markets. Is it really something people are going to travel to Thailand for?

Then some of the temples are breathtakingly beautiful, and they also represent the spiritual heart of Thailand. But, again, travel all the way to Thailand just to see them?

So, what are the real things about Thailand that make it so appealing? Maybe it's the sense of freedom and adventure that travelers feel when they're here. I don't know. 

I'd love to hear from others—what do you think makes Thailand perceived to be so wonderful? Are there any deeper, perhaps less obvious, reasons that draw people by the millions to the country?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I'm surprised every time friends of mine have visited Ao Nang, Phuket or Hua Hin and are extremely excited when they talk to me about how fantastic their holiday was. And this is couples with or without kids. 

I just do not see the same anymore, since I remember back when it was less than 5 million tourists in Thailand, and how it used to be. Now most places do not differ much from any famous destination in Europe, except being a nod more exotic.

Cheap compared to Europe.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Cheap compared to Europe.

Economy Flight tickets for a family of 4 in schol holidays winter/Christmas, Easter or  summer 250 - 300k? 

Not to forget they do not choose 800 baht hotels

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I'm surprised every time friends of mine have visited Ao Nang, Phuket or Hua Hin and are extremely excited when they talk to me about how fantastic their holiday was. And this is couples with or without kids. 

I just do not see the same anymore, since I remember back when it was less than 5 million tourists in Thailand, and how it used to be. Now most places do not differ much from any famous destination in Europe, except being a nod more exotic.

Yeah, I can remember the first couple of times I went to HuaHin - the entire beach was EMPTY except for me and my wife and daughter.  Could by a giant prawn for about a dollar at any restaurant there, then would drive back to BKK.  That was in the mid-70's.  Times have changed.  Khao Yai used to have a super golf course - had guards 'cause some had seen a tiget or two.  Rope bridges on some of the Par 3's, but then when I came back in the '90's the course was closed... hell of a lot more tourists than I ever thought about.  The beaches and ultra clear waters in the PI are much more attractive to me.  Golf courses are great anywhere in the world.  One thing though the Thai food in almost all the restaurants is a lot cheaper than in the US at Thai restaurants.  I remember going to the CM night market in the 70's and buying a carved elephant - must have weighed about 20 kilos strapped it so could carry it as a suitcase - taxi driver in BKK wanted me to sell it to him for double what I paid for it - gorgeous sittin in the states now.  Lots of things have changed and some of the thrill of doing some of the things we used to do but a lot of that is the uniqueness of the whole picture here has changed as have the smiles and then of course I am an old man now and different things thrill me now, but I still love Thailand and hope to spend the rest of my days here.  I was born in the USA but I have spent more time in Thailand than in the US.

If I had to leave then I think I would go to the PI but I really don't think that will ever happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Alpha84 said:

I've been thinking a lot lately about why foreigners might think Thailand is so wonderful and, thus I'm trying to truly figure out why. What is it about the country that draws so many people in?

There are the obvious things everyone talks about: the beaches, the vibrant nightlife, the elephants, the bustling markets, the food, and the temples. These are all fantastic attractions, but I wonder if there's something deeper that makes Thailand such a chosen destination. Is it merely just an issue of lower cost, lax everything, and more bang for your buck?

Let's start with the beaches. Sure, they're gorgeous, but what makes them truly special? Is it the sense of peace you feel when you watch the sunset over the horizon, or the warm, friendly vibe surrounding many of the beach areas? Thailand certainly isn't the only place in SE Asia with nice beaches. Many of the other countries have them too including Vietnam, Philippines, etc. So why are Thai beaches so great?

Then there's the nightlife. Bangkok and Pattaya are famous for their lively scenes as we know. But beyond the clubs and bars, isn't it the energy and the diversity of experiences that makes nightlife anywhere unforgettable? The street food, the late-night markets, the chance to meet people from all over the world—these elements add a unique flavor to Thailand's nightlife, maybe?

The elephants seem to be another big draw. They're magnificent creatures, and seeing them up close is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. But is it really something people will travel half way around the world for?

Markets and temples are also high on the list. The markets are a sensory overload with their sights, sounds, and smells. And they also offer a glimpse into the daily lives of Thai people and their rich culinary traditions. But nearly every country in Asia has fresh markets. Is it really something people are going to travel to Thailand for?

Then some of the temples are breathtakingly beautiful, and they also represent the spiritual heart of Thailand. But, again, travel all the way to Thailand just to see them?

So, what are the real things about Thailand that make it so appealing? Maybe it's the sense of freedom and adventure that travelers feel when they're here. I don't know. 

I'd love to hear from others—what do you think makes Thailand perceived to be so wonderful? Are there any deeper, perhaps less obvious, reasons that draw people by the millions to the country?

I think I'm going to be sick ...  :sick:

16 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Cheap. Good food at mind-bogglingly low prices in the rural provinces (2 nice brunches for 120฿ - would be at least 10 times more than that in Oz). Owning & running a motor vehicle 60% of Oz costs.

Lots of nice people in the rural provinces. Different culture - slow, collectively organised at extended family level so keeps the problem individuals under control (mostly). Traditional, old-fashioned courtesy including to well-behaved Falangs. Kind & generous to people in trouble, including the dying. A feeling of continuity, away from the disruption & stress of the Western world's modernity.

To spend my last years - leading, as my Oz friends laughingly tell me, a First World existence in the midst of the Third World - is a privilege I value greatly. No wish to return to Oz or even visit there any more.

There are not millions of tourists flocking to the boring provinces for 60 baht brunches.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Depends why you come to Thailand. If it is for the bars and places like Pattaya then yes it wont be a really good experience but if you forget those places and travel around you will find it is a great country.

Pattaya was the reason I visited Thailand for decades before moving there. Perhaps not Pattaya per se, but for what was there that isn't found anywhere else, except Philippines, and Thailand is apparently better than Philippines.

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is still a good value. Without that, Thailand would cease to be a destination. The people are infinitely less angry and bitter than most Westerners. And they have humor, and fairly light hearts too. Tropical weather. Has to be a big draw when things are cold and dismal back in the US, Europe and elsewhere. 

Plus most of it is less over run by the hordes like in Europe and Britain. I visited Lakeland in 2017 in Spring and it was already crowded. Summer must be abysmal.