Why do so many millions of travelers really think Thailand is so wonderful?

Alpha84

5 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Why are you in Thailand? You hate the food and the people.

I don't 'hate' the food. In fact that was part of my list the other day regarding what I actually liked about living here!

Do try and keep up, Susan.

I am here because quite frankly I can't be ar$ed to up sticks and move somewhere else at the minute.

Plus I've got Mrs. Smith.

She loves me and needs me here.

bob.

Edited by bob smith

4 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I don't 'hate' the food. In fact that was part of my list the other day regarding what I actually liked about living here!

Do try and keep up, Susan.

I am here because quite frankly I can't be ar$ed to up sticks and move somewhere else at the minute.

Plus I've got Mrs. Smith.

She loves me and needs me here.

bob.

Fake wife?

Thailand is popular because it has both the familiar and exotic for a reasonable price. Sure you can get exotic in other SE Asian countries but Thailand makes it easier to get. The infrastructure for tourists is among the best.

Also I think popularity begets popularity. Thailand is popular with everyone so no tourists really feels out of place.

I prefer AI rabblerousers to the bob smith type rabblerousers.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, zakalwe said:

Thailand is popular because it has both the familiar and exotic for a reasonable price. Sure you can get exotic in other SE Asian countries but Thailand makes it easier to get. The infrastructure for tourists is among the best.

Also I think popularity begets popularity. Thailand is popular with everyone so no tourists really feels out of place.

I prefer AI rabblerousers to the bob smith type rabblerousers.

Food

Ease of Transport

Beaches

Mountains

Western stuff if want

Laos is hard work. Thailand is easy.

On 7/2/2024 at 2:40 PM, Hummin said:

I'm surprised every time friends of mine have visited Ao Nang, Phuket or Hua Hin and are extremely excited when they talk to me about how fantastic their holiday was. And this is couples with or without kids. 

I just do not see the same anymore, since I remember back when it was less than 5 million tourists in Thailand, and how it used to be. Now most places do not differ much from any famous destination in Europe, except being a nod more exotic.

Edited by bigt3116
duplicate posting

On 7/2/2024 at 2:40 PM, Hummin said:

I'm surprised every time friends of mine have visited Ao Nang, Phuket or Hua Hin and are extremely excited when they talk to me about how fantastic their holiday was. And this is couples with or without kids. 

I just do not see the same anymore, since I remember back when it was less than 5 million tourists in Thailand, and how it used to be. Now most places do not differ much from any famous destination in Europe, except being a nod more exotic.

You must be pretty old and have been here a long time, because even in 1995 there were about 6.5 million tourists, (unless of course you are talking about the single year during COVID when it dipped to 0.43 million).

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2024 at 7:30 AM, spidermike007 said:

It is still a good value. Without that, Thailand would cease to be a destination. The people are infinitely less angry and bitter than most Westerners. And they have humor, and fairly light hearts too. Tropical weather. Has to be a big draw when things are cold and dismal back in the US, Europe and elsewhere. 

They are nowhere near less angry than any other country, especially the poor ones. I lived in the US 62 years, and the people are happy, angry and everything in between there as well as every other country. Anger is seen daily here just watching the TV news. Imagine how much more there is if you see it happen daily there. Any population that has most of it's people poor and barely making it is not happy.Yes, they appear happy, but the anger and resentment is carried within, and many times comes out with knives, machetes, sticks and guns, and you don't see 5 chasing 1 down the street with the intention to beat him senseless and kick him when he's down like you do here. This isn't gangs I'm talking about but regular everyday boys.

Anytime people are struggling there is anger, but the mai pen rai and fear of losing face keeps it down, at least for awhile. Strong friendships are less common here also, for the same reasons. One has money, others don't like it. Gold is shown off here a lot, and that breeds anger, even though many sell their gold when they are back in debt, which happens to most here eventually. I've been among these people for years now, and hear what they are saying, both by my ex and her family, and my girlfriend now. They hold back anger and that causes depression, and is a huge reason you see so many committing suicide here. A boring, poor country and depression add up to many taking their own lives.

Thailand has many pretty hookers and good food. that's why the majority comes here. The women travel here to see the temples , beaches and food, which is all well and good, but after you've seen them there's not much left. The men will keep coming as long as prostitution is kept at bay, and those that live here are doing it cheaper than their own countries. Take away the women, the beaches and understand you can get Thai food that's good most anywhere, what do you have left? Like others have said, there are nice beaches all over SE Asia, along with good food and cheap prices.

• Sad 1

On 7/2/2024 at 1:51 PM, Alpha84 said:

I've been thinking a lot lately about why foreigners might think Thailand is so wonderful and, thus I'm trying to truly figure out why. What is it about the country that draws so many people in?

Far too generalised to get a sensible answer, would need to be more specific on the "foreigner" you are referring to.

Western foreigners will have a completely different perspective compared to Asian foreigners.

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

You must be pretty old and have been here a long time, because even in 1995 there were about 6.5 million tourists, (unless of course you are talking about the single year during COVID when it dipped to 0.43 million).

Sorry, 10million the first year I arrived, always thought it was 5 million the year after Tsunami  hit the wet coast, and sure I got that from an news article back then. 

39 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Sorry, 10million the first year I arrived, always thought it was 5 million the year after Tsunami  hit the wet coast, and sure I got that from an news article back then. 

2005 the year after the tsunami it dipped to about 11.5mil (as opposed to 12mil in 2004), and then proceeded to increase again.

Guessing you got here in 2001? The first year Thailand saw 10mil tourists.

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

2005 the year after the tsunami it dipped to about 11.5mil (as opposed to 12mil in 2004), and then proceeded to increase again.

Guessing you got here in 2001? The first year Thailand saw 10mil tourists.

I have mixed up for sure, 2000 - 2004 I travelled Malaysia and China, my first year in Thailand was 2005. I always thought it was only 5mill visitors back then, but just in few years it was an dramatic change in tourists on places that was almost untouched in Krabi.  

First year you could kayak to smaller beaches and no long tail boats or cruise boat tourism. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1