British Teacher Assaulted by Phuket Tailor in Front of Her Children

webfact

15 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Interesting.

What is the going rate to slap your wife about? 🤔

That's not for me to decide, is it?  I don't have to agree with local customs.  I just have to accept them, because I have neither the right, nor the ability to change them to fit my foreign sense of justice.  Or I can tilt at windmills, or go somewhere else.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed, it is better to adapt, or integrate into the society you moved to.  

Probably she reminded good taylor about heydays when her ancestors used to shoot indians from cannons and Kohinoor is still in London. There are some jokes and some not-so-jokes.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, impulse said:

That's not for me to decide, is it?  I don't have to agree with local customs.  I just have to accept them, because I have neither the right, nor the ability to change them to fit my foreign sense of justice.  Or I can tilt at windmills, or go somewhere else.

Foreign sense of justice? As far as I am aware there are laws in Thailand and a justice system in place to prosecute people for crimes.

Case in point - Swissman David

The law is being followed to the letter in his case. The Thai doctor that was the victim of the alleged assault refused to accept a payoff, as is her prerogative, and as it is the prerogative of the victim in this case. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, NativeBob said:
8 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

Does "in front of her children" increase the severity of this incident?

Going to taylor's shop and starting arguing "in front of her children"?! 

What sort of mother will allow that to happen? I guess she was slightly pissed?

Actually, when I asked that question, I meant is it worse for the tailor because the assault was "in front of her children." But I also agree with what you are saying. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Foreign sense of justice? As far as I am aware there are laws in Thailand and a justice system in place to prosecute people for crimes.

The law is being followed to the letter in his case. The Thai doctor that was the victim of the alleged assault refused to accept a payoff, as is her prerogative, and as it is the prerogative of the victim in this case. 

The Thai constitution aims to ensure justice and protection for everyone within Thailand, but the scope of some legal provisions is tailored specifically to Thai nationals.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

That's sort of indicative of a patriarchal society where women are second-class citizens.  I can just see it from a male Thai policeman's perspective - "You know - its ok to slap around an assertive woman for not deferring to a Thai man.  Everybody knows that right?  Just go make nice with the tailor and don't press the issue or maybe things don't turn out so well of you, woman!"

Yeah - DO push the issue Ms. Inder.  Thais who are unable to constrain their tempers and lash out violently, especially men slapping around women, need to be held to account for their criminal assaults on others.  

Too bad we'll never know how this is resolved as it will be memory-hole within 48 hours.

Reminds of a stand up show by the American comedian Bill Burr :-

"Then they come on and say, there is no reason to hit a woman"

"Really!, the amount of ego in that statement, are you levitating above the rest of us, are you never annoying? I can give you 17 reasons off the top of my head, you can wake me from a drunken stupour and I can give you 9....you don't do it but to say there is no reason makes no sense."

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

So you don't figure the outcome will be different since Swissman David was a foreigner and his victim is a connected Thai doctor?

The pragmatic in me says she'd be ahead by doing what the cops suggested.  But I guess she's free to tilt at windmills if she wants.  Didn't end well for the Don, though.  I doubt it will end well for her.  I may disagree with it, but it's their country, their customs.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

What did the Thai doctor ask for?  2 million THB? 

Ms. Inder needs to ask for 2 million THB and criminal assault charges just like the Thai female doctor did with the violent Swiss idiot with a bad temper.  Ah - but then you find the difference between being a Thai national and a foreigner. The issue with the Thai doctor was in the media for weeks; this assault on the foreigner woman will be made to disappear in two days.  Watch!

Don't think she asked for any money, the Swiss guy offered money through an intermediate to make the case go away. She refused. 

• Thanks 1