Question on full faced helmets for women

WingNut

I want to buy a reasonably priced full face helmet as a spare that would fit the average sized woman's head. It probably won't get used very often, just occasionally when I want to take someone for a ride. If you can recommend any reasonably priced helmets and sizes, it would be much appreciated. Any possible links to helmets on Lazada would be useful too. Thank you. 

I personally would recommend Arai or Shoei, probably not reasonably priced @~15000฿. Buying a helmet on the internet probably isn’t a good idea unless you are familiar with the brand and model of the helmet, also there’s the fitment issue, heads and helmet come in many different shapes and sizes. Have no clue what area you’re in, though going to a few different shops look for RD, Shark and Zeus are good,  inexpensive and common in TH.

• Agree 1

Thank you, I'll probably just go for a local brand because it may not get used very often. The other issue is that it may not be the same person using it all the time. So it's difficult to buy one sized specifically to someone's head. But the fit won't be that critical, even it's not a perfect fit it should be OK as it would just be for the occasional use and for relatively short rides. That's why I was asking for sort of a standard size for women. 

I use Real helmets for myself and usually take a large or an extra large sized insert for myself, depending on the model. I don't have a particularly large head though, so I think the sizes just run a little small in Thailand on the local brands. 

Any shops located within the Bangkok city center, or just outside would be fine. 

• Haha 1

For a woman, I would suggest a modular helmet is a better option - remember that all important 'scrolling' time and make-up checking. They cut down all that sorting the hair out stuff as they don't have to take them off every time you stop. I actually prefer them myself now (and I've given up wearing make-up 😁)

As for 'local brands' - don't! They are mostly totally useless and provide very poor levels of protection.  If you don't want to spend a lot - shops often discount last year's models of the mainstream brands helmets.

Most women have size small or medium/small, and haven’t seen many medium/small helmet sizes. Mostly small or medium. Perhaps a medium size will do. If you’re looking for safety and comfort and cheap price Zeus is built for Asian heads and are DOT certified. More Than Bike in Bkk has a good selection of helmets. 

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just get a cheap open face one, girls prefer that. 500 baht would be ok for a temporary bird one, check Index on Lazada. I use the free one Mityon gives out when you buy a bike. They are more likely to agree to wearing a half face vs full face

Thanks. I think I want a bit better protection than that. I don't think they will fuss about wearing a full face helmet for the occasional ride. 

37 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

As for 'local brands' - don't! They are mostly totally useless and provide very poor levels of protection.  If you don't want to spend a lot - shops often discount last year's models of the mainstream brands helmets.

I thought Real are deemed to be pretty decent. I got one of their more expensive models that was designed for a race. 

35 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

You have no idea how wrong that statement is. Its not only about comfort, its safety too. Google it.

I know it's about safety, but I can't get a helmet that will fit correct for various different head sizes. So I just hit to try and get something sort of standard. 

32 minutes ago, novacova said:

If you’re looking for safety and comfort and cheap price Zeus is built for Asian heads and are DOT certified. More Than Bike in Bkk has a good selection of helmets. 

Thank you. That sounds like a good starting point. I can also ask them in the shop which size sells the most to women. Probably medium would be OK as you said. 

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

No idea, never heard of them.  I was meaning brands like Index etc.

Yes, Index generally aren't well regarded. Real are probably the most expensive and trusted of all the Thai brands. I think they are a sponsor at the Buriram Race Circuit too. Their helmets average between 2,000-2,500 Baht for their top models. Mine was about 3,000 I think because it was a special race edition. 

1 hour ago, WingNut said:

Yes, Index generally aren't well regarded. Real are probably the most expensive and trusted of all the Thai brands. I think they are a sponsor at the Buriram Race Circuit too. Their helmets average between 2,000-2,500 Baht for their top models. Mine was about 3,000 I think because it was a special race edition. 

Hmmmm - you get what you pay for, generally.  My Bell helmet cost almost 20,000.

5 hours ago, WingNut said:

Thank you, I'll probably just go for a local brand because it may not get used very often. The other issue is that it may not be the same person using it all the time. So it's difficult to buy one sized specifically to someone's head. But the fit won't be that critical, even it's not a perfect fit it should be OK as it would just be for the occasional use and for relatively short rides. That's why I was asking for sort of a standard size for women. 

I use Real helmets for myself and usually take a large or an extra large sized insert for myself, depending on the model. I don't have a particularly large head though, so I think the sizes just run a little small in Thailand on the local brands. 

Any shops located within the Bangkok city center, or just outside would be fine. 

Honda Big wing have decent priced full face helmets suited average Thai head shapes. 

Real helmets Thai made

https://www.real-helmets.com/#

H2c

https://www.thaihonda.co.th/honda/motorcycle/helmet/h2c-helmet-full-face-series

5 hours ago, WingNut said:

Shark helmets are good, certainly better than Real, on Lazada Ridill 6k for full face, i have one, plus open face. I like Shark more than Shoei

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Shark helmets are good, certainly better than Real, on Lazada Ridill 6k for full face, i have one, plus open face. I like Shark more than Shoei

Shark is an excellent helmets, but another price segment than what op asked I think.

I go shark anytime but prefer Shoei bought in Europe, as well HJC

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Shark is an excellent helmets, but another price segment than what op asked I think.

I go shark anytime but prefer Shoei bought in Europe, as well HJC

Shoei is over rated though, had one full face, nothing special, never bought again. 6k for a full face isn't a lot, has EU safety thing, Real will have nothing

7 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Hmmmm - you get what you pay for, generally.  My Bell helmet cost almost 20,000.

I've had Shoei helmets. Yes, they cost a lot in Thailand (like your Bell). But in the states many models are $200. Same price as some of the high quality local brands in Thailand. So I don't think you need to spend that much in Thailand to get a high quality helmet. 

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thanks, I'll have a look. I think I tried some on before for myself years ago, but couldn't find a good, comfortable fit. I assume they have since improved. 

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Shoei is over rated though, had one full face, nothing special, never bought again. 6k for a full face isn't a lot, has EU safety thing, Real will have nothing

My Real helmet I bought two years ago that I'm using now is ECE R22-05 rated, which is the European rating standard. Should be nearly equal to Snell in terms of safety and possibly a bit better too than a DOT rating. 

Edited by WingNut

I'm thinking now that one option is I buy myself a new Real helmet that is Snell or ECER22-05 rated and then take the one I have now and change the insert to an M size from XL. Then women with smaller heads can wear my existing helmet for the occasional outing.

So maybe I get myself a new Real helmet for around 3,000 Baht and changing the insert in my existing helmet from XL to M would probably be less than 1,000 Baht. 

Edited by WingNut

17 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Did you buy it directly from Real or buy it online? Looks like Real has their own store in Ramkhamhaeng:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Mf3DMZfVpqDRMJ9x9

I could probably try one on and get a new helmet there and then have them change the sizing insert on my existing one at the same time. 

2 hours ago, WingNut said:

Did you buy it directly from Real or buy it online? Looks like Real has their own store in Ramkhamhaeng:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Mf3DMZfVpqDRMJ9x9

I could probably try one on and get a new helmet there and then have them change the sizing insert on my existing one at the same time. 

Mai Tai Motorbikes  Pattaya.