3- Temples

4- Food

5- Culture

6- Markets/Shopping

7- Traditional Massages

8- Beautiful Nature

9- Friendly People

10- Travel Affordability

No, definitely not the cheap sex tourism, drug tourism, ladyboys, low cost alcohol, counterfeit goods, tattoo parlors, cannabis shops, or the nightlife. Done!

I think i'm gunna be sick  :sick:        haha 

5 minutes ago, HugoFastor said:

Lots on Lazada. 

Yeah, but we're talking about what tourists buy. How often are they ordering stuff on Lazada? In MBK Mall, I don't see any bootlegs anymore. But then again, I don't have the radar-like clairvoyance of a vacationing factory worker from Kumming.

I def miss bootleg DVD's. 'Used to be fun to bring home current films like it was an illicit one up.

I live in Chiang Mai. People are indeed here for all the positives listed (except the beach) and only indulge in one so-called vice: tattoos. Chiang Mai is known for cheap, good tattoo's.

I really don't get why the OP rates tattoos as a vice on par with hookers.

Nor the wayward sin of "low cost alcohol". But this board needs more Mormon representation.

33 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Not in any particular order:

1- Elephants

2- Beaches

3- Temples

4- Food

5- Culture

6- Markets/Shopping

7- Traditional Massages

8- Beautiful Nature

9- Friendly People

10- Travel Affordability

No, definitely not the cheap sex tourism, drug tourism, ladyboys, low cost alcohol, counterfeit goods, tattoo parlors, cannabis shops, or the nightlife. Done!

What's the point of the topic?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I really don't get why the OP rates tattoos as a vice on par with hookers.

Nor the wayward sin of "low cost alcohol". But this board needs more Mormon representation.

Tatoos aren't illicit. But it's still a bit of a cult culture. And it's a lot cheaper in Thailand than in the West, if you want to get a big piece done. So it is a draw for a certain type of unconventional traveler. 

Low cost alcohol, again, legal; yes, and not illicit, but Thailand draws a certain kind of denizen that comes to drink to excess and possibly get rowdy. It also seems to be an attraction for certain Europeans where alcohol is much higher priced in their own countries. 

8 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I def miss bootleg DVD's. 'Used to be fun to bring home current films like it was an illicit one up.

I think they already lost their luster once torrents started dominating. 

2 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Are there ever any high class denizens or is being a denizen always sub par?

Are you or have you ever been a denizen?

Me? I'd like to think not. But if I were a denizen, would I even know?

I meant it figuratively, probably not the best word choice. I probably should have said Reveler, Hellraiser or Rabble-rouser. 

3 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

What you need is a sense of humor transplant.

On average, do you think that tourists here are worse than tourists elsewhere. I don't. Even on Suk road, I see a lot of couples and shoppers. 

boomer=1   Grenhorn=0     2 men enter..only one walks out!...sweep the leg!

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, RSD1 said:

1- Elephants

2- Beaches

3- Temples

4- Food

5- Culture

6- Markets/Shopping

7- Traditional Massages

8- Beautiful Nature

9- Friendly People

10- Travel Affordability

You're right. However, reading the posts here it seems that many come here for sex. Cheap sex for cheap men👎

1- Elephants

We have a zoo. I don't see the attraction for a large dirty animal.

2- Beaches

Too hot. Too sandy. Too crowded usually. I don't see the attraction.

3- Temples

Seen one, seen them all.

4- Food

I can get good Thai food at home or even cook it myself. No need to travel far.

5- Culture

LOL. Really?

6- Markets/Shopping

I have all the materialistic crap I need. I hate shopping.

7- Traditional Massages

My local Thai massage place is much cheaper if you factor in air fares and hotels.

8- Beautiful Nature

Too many dirty constructions that spoil most views. Better nature in my home country.

9- Friendly People

Superficially, but underneath they just want your money and for you to go home.

10- Travel Affordability

Travel in my home country is cheaper and road trips are more fun.

Women and nightlife are the only attractions that are harder to get back home for an older guy.

Edited by Dexxter
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

On 7/4/2024 at 5:10 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

But if I were a denizen, would I even know?

What exactly is a denizen in Thailand?

Ever picture yourself stuck in a Bangkok traffic jam at rush hour, the heat suffocating, horns blaring, and motorbikes weaving through like angry hornets? Now imagine that, forever, but inside your own decaying body. The vibrant chaos of the city muted to a dull throb. Are those saffron-robed monks chanting, or figments of your fading mind?

Being a denizen in Thailand would be a cruel twist. No more cooling off with a mango sticky rice by the beach, no more haggling for trinkets at the Chatuchak market. Just you, a prisoner in your own decaying form, forever trapped amidst the cacophony of life.

Sure, no more tuk-tuk rides at dawn or battling the crowds at Wat Pho. But that's a cold Chang beer compared to the existential dread. Being a denizen is like staring into the face of a grinning demon statue at a temple, and the demon stares right back.

Maybe there's just silence. The deafening hush after the symphony of Thailand's vibrant energy. Like finally finding peace in a hidden jungle temple, but a peace you can never escape.

Denizen in Thailand? More like a nightmare on Khao San Road. Let's hope whatever's out there involves a hammock on a secluded island, a cool breeze, and definitely not an eternity as a decaying prisoner in the Land of Smiles.

On 7/4/2024 at 11:51 AM, RSD1 said:

1- Elephants

2- Beaches

3- Temples

4- Food

5- Culture

6- Markets/Shopping

7- Traditional Massages

8- Beautiful Nature

9- Friendly People

10- Travel Affordability

Troll thread 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1