British Couple Outraged Over £9 Tin of Heinz Beans in Thailand

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

It's unfortunate that some imported items are taxed so highly in Thailand.

It's unfortunate that imported alcohol is taxed so highly in Thailand. I think it was what.. 300%? 400%?

And let's not start on imported cars...

On 7/4/2024 at 6:07 AM, Andrew65 said:

Heinz stuff is also way over-priced in the UK, stopped buying Heinz a few years ago, supermarket own-brands taste the same for 1/3 the price.

My condolences to your taste buds sir.

On 7/4/2024 at 5:19 PM, Phulublub said:

Will do if I can find!  Any chance of a picture (that could paint a thouseand words...)

PH

Apparently they sell it at Makro, else you can order it from Lazada/Shopee.

12 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

It's unfortunate that imported alcohol is taxed so highly in Thailand. I think it was what.. 300%? 400%?

And let's not start on imported cars...

...yes,effects quality of life.

Tax,but not over the top.

20 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Back in the 90's Tesco 'Value' beans were 1p a tin, the sauce was a bit 'runny'😁

WOW!

I remember living off beans as a student '75-'78 and beans then were 11p.

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

WOW!

I remember living off beans as a student '75-'78 and beans then were 11p.

They must have seen you coming! 

What's next the 4 Yorkshire men skit? 

• Confused 1

On 7/4/2024 at 10:22 AM, steven100 said:

They need to buy the cheaper one ....    

it tastes ok .....

Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce 425g

Vile they are, Brooke or Watties beans from NZ are far superior, also some Italian ones in Tops.

11 hours ago, fasteddie said:

My condolences to your taste buds sir.

Tesco's-own ketchup tastes exactly the same as Heinz ketchup, the only difference being is that Tesco's is £1 and Heinz is £3.

• Agree 1

On 7/4/2024 at 10:37 AM, BritManToo said:

Muesli and granola is best purchased from Lazada, too expensive in the shops.

German muesli in Lotus is Bht 220 for 1kg. 

No postage or waiting.

• Thumbs Up 1

You get 4 cans of Heinz baked beans for 420 baht at my local Makro store I don’t buy as I find they are to sweet I buy the Aussie ones 210 baht for 3 cans 

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, a3tsw said:

think price gouging is bad in Thailand , it is just as bad here in the Uk , and they only take bloody card an 'all ..

Kid should move to Thailand, ice cream only 10bht in KFC.

On 7/5/2024 at 3:11 AM, Nick Carter icp said:
On 7/5/2024 at 2:46 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I rather like UK baked beans.

Discovered them decades ago when I was working in the UK and was introduced to the concept of 'beans on toast' not something as an American I would even have considered.

Now I'll pick up a can of them from my local Safeway, and not even bother looking at the price.

BTW I don't think I would ever eat them any other way than 'beans on toast'

Expand  

Need grated cheese on top of that 

With a bit of HP sauce. 

Posted (edited)

And breaking in "International News". A Thai lady in NZ is outraged at the imported prices for Whole Fresh Durian, THB 1300 kg, Whole Frozen Durian THB 440 kg. 

Beanz Meanz Heinz.

Presumably, more than a million housewives today.

I have been fortunate to buy a number of cans in NZ of "Heiz Beanz", at our largest outlet store in Auckland for groceries nearing the  "best beyond dating" format. 

They are exceptional.

Once upon a visit to Thailand, breakfast buffet in a 4-5* Hotel, had peanuts in tomato sauce substituted as an alternative to  Western expectation of baked beans, presumably cost effective but a fail. Plonk more bacon and eggs on the plate, sorted.

Edited by Paul Catton
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2024 at 12:11 PM, Ralf001 said:

Bt.120 on Lazada.

I note the pic in OP the can says multipack,  typically 4 in those multipacks.

Grocery shops fk us over hardcore, you can buy even these after eights chocolate mints on lazada for peanuts and then its even delivered in a expensive foam box with dry ice. It amazes me. Believe it was like 140 baht, that is not much more than it is back home.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 7/4/2024 at 10:38 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I forgot the bacon, and lets throw in the fried bread while we're at it.

Fried bread not something I had ever had, since I lived in the UK, but has we talk about it, might be something on tomorrows breakfast to horrify my Thai wife

I lurve fried bread! Best done with 'ready-sliced' bread!🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Huahin is a unique town [city]. the expat population resembles herds of white buffalo's grazing. They bare a strange but uncanny resemblance to each other,  it's as if one older brother found it and then called all his male relatives to come on down... They all did. Then he found a retired bar girl, fell in love, and she networked all of her siblings, cousins, neighbors and village mates to "come on down"... so, as one saunters around the big eating/grazing night market, it's just like watching a clone circus. The lads with ladies have their tables filled with food and drinks and of course their identical looking relatives.... The ones without women are all at their own group table, surrounded and comforted by their high profile "green bottles" and the lovely, well-dressed super models seving and  parading "greenies"  in the identical coloured [bottle-green]outfits. It's an unforgettable show, nightly with the same [looking] characters and all for the most part looking quite happy to be there with their charming and youthful partners. It is truly a sight to behold. it's like everyone has hit the pools at the same time.   I am so happy to see them equally if not more happy and satisfied.... and it probably beats the hell out of their previously cold climates....

Edited by HawaiianBrian
correcting grammar, some spelling errors and additional content
  • Confused 1