Mid-air mayhem: Turbulence terror hits global flights

webfact

Korean Air stops in-flight services 40 minutes before landing in turbulence safety measure.

The global aviation industry reported that incidents of turbulence doubled in the first quarter of 2024 compared to five years earlier.

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/korean-air-cuts-cabin-services-by-40-minutes-to-prevent-turbulence-related-accidents

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Screenshot-2024-07-05-090158.webp

Picture courtesy: AFR 

Singapore Airlines Flight SQ321 encountered severe turbulence over Thailand, forcing it to make an emergency landing in Bangkok in late May. This incident has raised fresh concerns about the increasing issue of in-flight turbulence, which has been highlighted by several other recent incidents.

In the past few months, there have been multiple turbulence-related injuries on major airlines. Singapore Airlines, Qatar Airways, and Air Europa have all experienced sudden altitude drops that required medical attention for passengers.

The affected Singapore Airlines flight was traveling from London to Singapore when it encountered a violent storm.

This week, an Air Europa flight from Madrid to Montevideo faced severe turbulence, injuring 40 passengers. The aviation industry is increasingly worried about these incidents, as turbulence seems to be becoming a more significant threat.

Data from the Turbli database shows that the world's most turbulent flights are between Santiago, Chile, and Santa Cruz, Bolivia. The site, which analyzes 150,000 routes using data from UK and US meteorological agencies, also ranks flights from Tokyo among the roughest long-haul routes.

Turbulence usually occurs where air streams traveling at different speeds meet, often at the edges of jet streams, over mountain ranges, or in certain cloud formations.

According to Turbli, turbulence on the Santiago-Santa Cruz route is mainly caused by winds blowing from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean, nearly perpendicular to the Andes.

The equatorial region is another turbulence hotspot, with flights frequently experiencing rough conditions, according to the Hindustan Times.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-05

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I have experienced turbulence in many regions for years seems to be the luck of the draw. 

One area that always seems to be consistent is North of Australia heading towards Indonesia. 

My last flight from San Francisco to Tokyo experienced nonstop turbulence for more than 6 hours.

The pilot actually announced during takeoff that we should keep our seatbelt on because we were going to be experiencing hours of turbulence

Post against forum rules removed.

Reminder rule 17. The ASEAN NOW news team collects news articles from various recognised and reputable news sources. The articles  may be consolidated from different sources and rewritten with AI assistance These news items are shared in our forums for members to stay informed and engaged. Our dedicated news team puts in the effort to deliver quality content, and we ask for your respect in return. Any disrespectful comments about our news articles or the content itself, such as calling it "clickbait" or “slow news day”, criticizing grammatical errors, will not be tolerated and appropriate action will be taken. Please note that republished articles may contain errors or opinions that do not reflect the views of ASEAN NOW.

If you'd like to help us, and you see an error with an article then please use the report function so that we can attend to it promptly.

The Singapore Airlines aircraft, registration 9V-SWM, involved in the turbulence incident on 21 May, has still not yet returned to commercial service. It was allowed to the flown, with no passengers, to Singapore on 26 May, but has since been parked for maintenance, repairs and inspection checks. 

IMG_3659.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh!  I forgot.  What this really is about is the new trope that cow farts makes commercial flights dangerous and all of you useless eaters should probably stay within the confines of your 15 minute cites and eat bugs.  We should be seeing these "commercial flight hits turbulence" stories on a weekly basis now. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, connda said:

Solution?  Keep your seat-belt on while seated.  I do.  When I was a private pilot I didn't take my seat-belt off just because I had reached cruising altitude.  So why do it in a passenger plane? 

Perhaps because there’s not much chance of a head-on collision in the air? 😜

Used to be a thing, esp in Asia, where numerous people would take the sign being de-lit as their cue to unclick. Like to think people have taken heed that it only means one is free to move about. 

I have seen many foolish people take their seat belts off after getting to altitude, and even take their shoes off shortly after departure.

if I have left my seat to go to the bathroom, that is the only time my seat belt is off. In flight I loosen it a bit, but it is plain foolish

to have the belt completely off.  

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, ryxyz said:

My last flight from San Francisco to Tokyo experienced nonstop turbulence for more than 6 hours.

The pilot actually announced during takeoff that we should keep our seatbelt on because we were going to be experiencing hours of turbulence

Thats always been a bumpy route - I've had the same tokyo/lax.

It seems to be signifucantly worse Sept-Oct in my experience.

Edited by pedro01