Has anyone else noticed recently all Thai food tastes the same?

1 hour ago, Mekmong MICK said:

I'm 3 weeks here and beginning to get sick of it tbh. I spent this afternoon training my Thai girlfriend how to make a chicken parmingana with chips and tomato sauce. 

my girl came pre-trained in cooking falang food, from working in a “5 star” place in Naklua, so you are on the right path - the variety between home and eating out (mostly Thai food) is a nice balance and breaks up the monotony of Thai food only.  

46 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

They've been trading salt for years and surely the Thai's have discovered the tomato by now. 

The food is very missionary and dull without any creativity 

You are in Thailand. they are using fermented anchovy in their food. They call it Nam Pla, and is the Thai replacement for salt in their cuisine.

After that, people in Europe and US are quite found of the Aromat. Here they use the different Knorr cubes as well as the same from Ajinomoto in powder form.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some fusions go very well...

i.e. Green Curry Pie works very well (I've had one before)... 

... Another excellent 'fusion' is Gapraw Pizza and Laab Pizza...   Don't knock it till you've tried it... 

(on an excellent pizza base there are many things that are good).

I suspect there are a lot of foods you haven't tried in your short time here...  you've let your foot off the clutch very early on in this whinge...

For example: Have you tried Khao Soi  ???

Love it! Khao Soi is great!

The thing you post about pizza, I will definitely try. Kha Prao will definitiely work. Laab will be very interesting. Will tell you in a PM what I think after trying. 🙂 

Unfortunately, the guy you are trying to excite with this, will not be able to succeed with a restaurant. Please just take my word for it. I did run 3 restaurants, 2 discos and a lunch eatery in Sweden before moving here.

Edited by Gottfrid

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

The local food is rancid.

Plenty of other choices around to please one's tase buds.

You and mr mong must have the long COVID symptom of loss of your sense of taste .... or ..... you're trapped in a very short cycle of palatable (to you) food choices.  Plus you've got to learn how to use the Thai sauces to add a lot more variety of flavors.

Thanks to my wife's excellent knowledge of Thai cooking ingredients and skill I've learned to love literally hundreds of Thai dishes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Love it! Khao Soi is great!

The thing you post about pizza, I will definitely try. Kha Prao will definitiely work. Laab will be very interesting. Will tell you in a PM what I think after trying. 🙂 

Unfortunately, the guy you are trying to excite with this, will not be able to succeed with a restaurant. Please just take my word for it. I did run 3 restaurants, 2 discos and a lunch eatery in Sweden before moving here.

He's new... thinks his idea's are original.. 

So many people come here and think.. Oh... there are no pie shops, I'll start a pie shop, oh, no decent sausages, I'll start sausage shop....   its just a different take on.. trying to run their own beer bar... 

Perhaps Mick will get a bar and try to sell his pies and sausages... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

I'm thinking of putting some of the money I cashed out from my dent repair business into an Aussie-Thai fusion restaurant. Green curry pies, kangaroo bahm mi and sweet and sour steak

do it. get your new gf to handle it all for you. cake walk. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

You and mr mong must have the long COVID symptom of loss of your sense of taste .... or ..... you're trapped in a very short cycle of palatable (to you) food choices.  Plus you've got to learn how to use the Thai sauces to add a lot more variety of flavors.

Thanks to my wife's excellent knowledge of Thai cooking ingredients and skill I've learned to love literally hundreds of Thai dishes.

Moved here long before covid.

Fried rice and chicken with cashew nuts goes ok.

But not nearly as good as a decent steak and 3 veg or a  parmi with chips with gravy and chicken salt.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

I'm 3 weeks here and beginning to get sick of it tbh. I spent this afternoon training my Thai girlfriend how to make a chicken parmingana with chips and tomato sauce. 

All foods seem to rely on the same few spices I have noticed and lack salt. So once you've had a Tom yum, you've basically had green curry, bahm mi, pad Thai and all other local cuisines. The vegetables and herbs are all pretty much the same across dishes too. 

Don't get me wrong, Thai food is delicious but I think it gets a bit overrated after 3 straight weeks. Does anyone else feel the same?

When I first visited Thailand twenty years ago I had the same impression.  On repeated visits and traveling all over the country with new friends I discovered there is so much variety.  Not all Thai food is prepared using the same seasonings.  There are so many regional variations. 

Being from Hawaii I am accustomed to eating all the different ethnic dishes found here and over the years have learned to prepare many of them, including Thai food.  Online recipes and suggestions from my Thai girlfriend helps.  In fact, she says some Thai dishes are comparable to what her mother cooks.

11 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So Yellow Fever (joined AN June 27) having a conversation with Mekmong MICK (joined AN June 27).

Kinda like Norman Bates having a conversation with his Mother.

Yellow Fever probably one of the few rational and sensible posters I've come across on the forum who isn't in Thailand to be a sex pest. He speaks a lot of sense

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Yellow Fever probably one of the few rational and sensible posters I've come across on the forum who isn't in Thailand to be a sex pest

Why, were does he indulge in his sex pest activities? is he in the Philippines

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Yes as is his comment on the Why Are You Here? topic:

Yellow Fever
Posted 10 hours ago
The easy women 

I took it to mean easy going; I.e the women don't nag him. 

It seems you're part of the assumption brigade here mate thinking he's a sex tourist 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

I took it to mean easy going; I.e the women don't nag him. 

It seems you're part of the assumption brigade here mate thinking he's a sex tourist 

Assumption brigade? I didn't attend any catholic school.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Yellow Fever probably one of the few rational and sensible posters I've come across on the forum who isn't in Thailand to be a sex pest. He speaks a lot of sense

OK Bob.......

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

it gets a bit overrated after 3 straight weeks

Hang in the Mm, another three weeks and who knows what you'll learn in that time! 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

What a stupid post

What is stupid? In Thailand they use nam pla instead of salt. After that, most of the countries surrounding the Mediterranian sea have a very high use of tomatos per capita.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What is stupid? In Thailand they use nam pla instead of salt. After that, most of the countries surrounding the Mediterranian sea have a very high use of tomatos per capita.

Dumbest posts of the years. Don’t @ me bro 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Dumbest posts of the years. Don’t @ me bro 

A post from someone who do not understand, and calling other things for the dumbest things. It might have do you?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 8:41 PM, tjintx said:

How many accounts does Bob Smith have???

Just the one.

why, do you have evidence to the contrary??

bob.

Edited by bob smith