Thailand Faces Population Crisis: Minister Calls for Action

Fairly soon - as its population begins to shrink - Thailand (its people as a whole, led by an enlightened government) is going to have to transform its whole approach to life.

Living behind high cultural, linguistic and legal barriers, shut off from the outside world, will no longer work. Change is already happening but very slowly and without explicit acknowledgement because of the dinosaur social arrangements.

What Thais - and other Third World countries - will have to construct is immigration policies similar to those of 'Western' countries: importing skilled & high-tech workers to become citizens and drive a new economy with new population & cultural structures that reward work skills not birthright.

But none of this can happen in a corrupt feudal state that regards all non-Thais as outsiders to be treated with suspicion and complex bureaucratic barriers.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

Maybe in 10 to 15 years they will change our visas and even allow us to contribute to Thai society in new ways,

unfortunately they have already started doing that with the new taxation scheme on remittances... thailand the hub of taxation

no taxation without representation... unfortunately here the answer is  TIT while the wokes are going on about human rights back home they should now how foreigners are treated abroad...

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

This shift is driven by a low birth rate, averaging 500,000 births annually and an average of just one child per woman—lagging behind even Japan's figures.

Give people a livable wage they will breed... it's not rocket science.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

People in Thailand cant afford the ones they already have, I wonder how many have already been subsidized by Farangs? 

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

do like other civilised countries and allow foreigners to get permanent residency more easily. it would be a lot easier and more interesting for me to start a family if i werent always subnitted to stringent visa regulations that keep changing all the time. there are also other ways i could earn a living other than teaching if i were to get a green card. most importantly i would offer better quality services than thais... if i had permanent residence. the biggest reason my wife and i did not start a family is because of the uncertainty of my stay here and the difficulty to take her back home.

Let me work I have skills that will aid the population of Thailand and any money earned would end up back in the big pot, why are Thai such bad drivers and why can't you find a craftsman in the building industries, because there are no teachers plus at 21 with no training everybody is encouraged to think they are experts, in a gov office last week the simplest of calculations had to be done on a calculator, 438 baht tendered 500 completely through the lady aged around 50. Thailand is stuck in a vicious circle of need but is infested with greed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I think UK is in the mix

As much as I am thrilled that the Tories are toast they were correct in allowing people in with the skills we need......from fruit pickers to brain surgeons.....surely???

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, john donson said:

they could start taxing every dirty farang living here more than 179 days on worldwide income to support the lazy bums and government 

oh wait...

They will.

Thailand is oblivious to the scenario.

Throw in no parental responsibility on behalf of the male population who sire children and then disappear because there is no enforcement of their financial support for the child/children, it's hardly surprising women are opting out of having any.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, john donson said:

they could start taxing every dirty farang living here more than 179 days on worldwide income to support the lazy bums and government 

oh wait...

dont give them any ideas... theyll prolly even start taxing falangs globally because THIS IS THAILAND sorry about the caps lock... but this is how angry thais without any valid argument answer when they are wrong

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

And the other 99% who crossed via the leaky border called the English channel looking for the welfare office and NHS service

You do know they are a drop in the ocean compared to legal migration? Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Excess.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

image.png.234edd27319f6c24da25a434ac6c528b.png

So here is the answer.  Like it or not, we will see massive amounts of immigration from the blue countries to the the tan colored countries.  Obviously some tan countries are more desirable in the eyes of potential immigrants, but when push comes to shove, immigrants escaping from the overcrowded hell-holes will settle on the countries that they view as second rate!

5 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

do like other civilised countries and allow foreigners to get permanent residency more easily. it would be a lot easier and more interesting for me to start a family if i werent always subnitted to stringent visa regulations that keep changing all the time. there are also other ways i could earn a living other than teaching if i were to get a green card. most importantly i would offer better quality services than thais... if i had permanent residence. the biggest reason my wife and i did not start a family is because of the uncertainty of my stay here and the difficulty to take her back home.

They call that in Europea transformation, they don't want that in Thailand either.
Thailand for the Thais, we just hang around.